Closed Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 08:30 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 278/267.2/180

Height: 5'7"

Default 300+ And Getting Fit After Forty #246

This thread is a sub-set of the 300+ weekly thread.

This group is for those dealing with the challenges of having a significant amount of weight to lose and being fit which becomes harder after age 40. If you're an old or new friend and not over 40 and feel this is the place to post, jump right in.
Old 01-18-2010, 09:08 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 278/267.2/180

Hi ladies,

Did I miss a whole thread last week? Gosh. It was one of those crazy work weeks where we had a herd of people in from Chicago and had to sit in on all day meetings that started at 8:00 am. I hate those early morning meetings. The good thing is that they were very good people to work with and we accomplished a lot.

Speaking of accomplishing - I am down 8 pounds since I started with medifast. I am thrilled with it. It gives me enough control during the week that I can relax a bit on the weekends. Weekend eating has always been a big challenge when I'm home with DH. I'm also thrilled that I am able to start wearing some of the tops and blouses that I have in the closet. I don't wear tops that are tight and accentuate the belly fat. I am very sensitive about it. But this has been such a mental boost.

I finally got over to the horse barn yesterday to ride. I haven't ridden in two weeks. Seems like forever.

I need to get back at the pilates. I've been sitting way too much lately. Not sure what I did recently but my back muscles are all tight and sore.

I was watching Dr Oz last night and he had on three women that want to get beach ready in 100 days. One of them was talking about comfort food. He asked her why it was comfort food when it made you feel so bad for eating it. Not just emotionally, but the physical toll on the body. He's got a point that we need to imprint on our brains about our ideas of comfort food.

Valerie - I am so glad to see you back. You've had a rough few months there. Poor Simon! Poor checkbook! How is he doing now? Its time to put yourself first and take care of you!

Bluebutterfly - Welcome to the group. You have done an amazing job so far! Looking forward to learning more about you!

Barb - for your DH! Its like he woke up in a new world with a new attitude. Wonderful! How fun about the zumba class! Trying new things is good for the body and the mind!

Judy - How was your Sunday?

Carol - Two hours of exercise! Fantastic! You're doing great at the gym. Ohh, just ready about the horse excursion. I'm so excited for you! You better get that cold gone before you head off for your vacation!

Heather - You too with the 90 minutes. How is your class going?

Deb - you've had a rough few days as well. Good for you though for getting the healthy foods in the house. Be strong and make sure you're taking care of you first.

I hope that I haven't missed anybody. I'm going to get this posted and move on to housecleaning. Its foggy and depressing looking out but I want to enjoy my day off.

to all!
Old 01-18-2010, 08:27 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Terri --Thanks for getting us going this week and congrats on your medifast start! Good job!!

I went to the gym today after work. I draggggedddd myself. Did not want to go. 30 minutes later, I feel better and full of energy. When will this lesson stick??

My classes are going okay, but I'm going to get slammed with work in a couple of weeks. So in advance, please excuse me if I'm less present in Feb and March.
Old 01-18-2010, 08:39 PM   #4  

Height: 5'2" on a tall day.

Wow Terri .... glad to see how well your doing on Medifast. Bet you really enjoyed getting back up on your horse. BTW I love Dr. Oz's remarks about comfort food. I'm saving that one. :-)

Yesterday was quiet but a good OP day. Today was OP and I met friends for dinner. Had a broiled seafood platter (brought some home for tomorrow.) plain baked potato and a salad. I passed on the bread! That's a tough thing for me to do. So I stayed w/i my points and enjoyed the company of good friends.
Old 01-18-2010, 08:41 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 348.5/T/185

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather View Post
I went to the gym today after work. I draggggedddd myself. Did not want to go. 30 minutes later, I feel better and full of energy. When will this lesson stick??
I hope for me soon - I feel so much better once I get there - more energized, more balanced.

Terri - weekends are tough for me too - I need structure even though I love the weekend.
Old 01-18-2010, 09:17 PM   #6  

I had a great day even though food wasnt so great. I met my sister and her hubby for lunch along with my married daughter who lives out of town.It was great and we sat to long and ate to much.I did turn down a few rounds of rolls.
Back to routine tomorow and we all know I do better with routine.
My sister is starting the 6wk body makerover tommorow. She tried her best to talk me into it.I think I will stick with what i know works for me...back to the basics

Last edited by dgramie; 01-18-2010 at 09:18 PM.
Old 01-19-2010, 01:06 PM   #7  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

Hello ladies! I've surely missed you!

I think I'm back in with the plan. This morning, after many, many weeks of avoiding healthy living after a fashion, I have made myself a proper OP breakfast (low carb, low fat, high fiber, egg whites and veggies) and I actually wrote it down and am tracking nutrition again.

Emotionally, I'm experiencing a great improvement. Today. I think it's because the divorce settlement is looking favorable (to me), the X is agreeing to it, finally, and everything should be final in the next month or so. Financial security feels good!

I'm going to my first meeting of a spiritual-growth meetup group tomorrow night. I'm excited. It will be good to connect with a few people from various spiritual/philosophical backgrounds. Next week I'm joining a philosophy discussion group. There's so much I want to learn! That's exciting to me.

It's a really wickedly windy day, with lots of rain and ominous clouds. I love this weather!

Looking forward to catching up with you all.
Old 01-19-2010, 02:45 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 348.5/T/185

Height: 5'9"

Geo - so great to have you back with us!
Old 01-19-2010, 04:47 PM   #9  

Glad you're back with us and feeling good about yourself Georgia. I missed you.
Old 01-19-2010, 11:15 PM   #10  
Renaissance Woman

My soul needs some confession time here. There is a reason why I've gained back 15 lbs. Not tracking the food was a really, REALLY bad idea!

Today I thought that I'll just ease back into this routine, so I succeeded in writing everything down. I have been seriously overeating! Today, an extra 800 calories. I know the amount of food I've been eating over the last two months has been slowly creeping up. I know why...I'm numbing overwhelming emotions surrounding divorce issues. So I know that now is the time to address this, once and for all. It's an excellent opportunity, because there's still alot emotional baggage on which to practice.

Analyzing what I ate is telling as well. Over 50% of my nutrition came from fats. OMG! Butter and cheese have crept back into my diet, as well as some fattier protein choices. Carbs were a little high too. With the higher carbs came greater fiber intake, so that was good.

Tomorrow, I'll move forward with cutting back on the fats, way back! And try to add more fiber from veggies.

That's enough for now!
Old 01-20-2010, 06:53 AM   #11  

HI and welcome back GEO!!! You have been missed!! SO glad things are looking good for you now! Isnt it scary how fast those bad fats get back on our plates if we dont track what we eat.

judy- my sister got me the ww calculator and I LOVE IT, before I only had the point slide.

carol-how many more days till you fly out??

heather_ hi, hope classes are going good.

Teri-wow great weight loss..keep it up!!

butterfly- how are you doing?

barb- hi how are you and then family doing?

I had a POP day yesterday now its time to start stringing them together. I had 25 ww points and 1300 calories. I am going to try and follow my calories along with my points and just see how many calories Im eating.
It was so beautiful here yesterday the fog had lifted and the sun came out and it got into the 50s. I took the kids out to play and I dont know who had more fun, me or them. We have all been couped up inside for to long. ITs suppost to rain here all day long so its another inside day but the playdough is coming out.
Hope everyone has a wonderful pop day!!
Old 01-20-2010, 07:31 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Georgia -- What happened to you happens to just about all of us, I think. I know it's happened to me. We talk about this being a change for the rest of our lives, and hope our lives are long... but it really is HARD to do this all the time!!

Be glad you got yourself back here and back under control!! You CAN do this!!!

I hope it helps that the divorce situation is resolving itself!
Old 01-20-2010, 08:58 PM   #13  
Renaissance Woman

Hey ladies. Just checking in before I have to go pick up my youngest from taekwondo. I'm so proud of him! He works out five days a week now!

I had a rollercoaster day. (I wish there were a smiley for bipolar!) Started with X being a (insert your favorite word here) about settlement issues. Then suddenly, everything worked out, and I felt elated and relieved for about three hours. And then my emotions came crashing down as the finality of it all washed over me. And now I feel such sadness. I don't even feel like eating, which is really saying something.

I kept fat intake much lower today, and have barely had 1700 calories today. Quite a bit lower than yesterday and weeks previous. The divorce diet hadn't kicked in with me yet. Maybe it's something I get to enjoy now.

Debi - What is a POP day?
Old 01-20-2010, 09:17 PM   #14  

Georgia

Your going through an emotional time in your life right now. I'm proud to see you remembering to take time for yourself. If you love yourself the joy will show and make those around you smile and feel your love.

Wow! That's a pretty deep statement for me. But it's true.

Here's a smiley for X:
Old 01-21-2010, 02:58 AM   #15  
Renaissance Woman

OMG! Judy! Thank you for the meaningful words. I am ready to smile again and to feel the shine of joy. And thanks for the special smiley, which I LOVE! You gave me a good giggle!

(Yes, I counted them...four exclamation marks in that first paragraph alone.)

I have to tell you all about the spirituality meet-up I went to tonight. I joined because I was looking for a group of people to discuss things of a spiritual nature that weren't so tied to religion or dogma. It turns out, people can get very "religious" and dogmatic about metaphysical stuff too! Plus, they are fully capable of being equally as judgemental of others!

I got a good laugh when we were being guided through a group meditation and we were told to "try to visualize yourself as the center of the universe." It was really hard to supress that snicker. Dang! That's like a constant state of being for me! The meditation was so effective that some in the group produced a vibration centered in their soft palate which produced a sound emanating from their nasal passages.

I paid $20 to join the group. For the giggles alone, it was worth it.
Closed Thread