Old 01-17-2010, 01:31 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 270/ticker/170

Height: 5'7.25"

People at work know that I am back on the healthy lifestyle wagon (they didn't know me when I was on the wagon but I lost a bunch of weight in college and then gained most of it back my last year through meds, stress, and bleh). I'm a go to source of info since they can see my good choices and it is known that I remember almost everything I've ever read. Obviously people can see that I've lost weight but since I'm not doing a high-pressure "diet" (although I've been doing 21 days of vegan since New Year's) no one is really asking about my "progress" or "should you eat that?" they just ask me what I'm eating, at lunch time (my whole foods lunches have become a source of good-natured entertainment), and what kinds of exercise I like (a lot of my coworkers are "skinny-fat" so I can impress with feats of strength and endurance).

My mom is the only one that knows my "by the numbers" mini-goals and I can't see myself telling people "I want to lose X number of pounds" especially if I placed a time restriction on it that might lead to feeling like a failure. Instead I'm being better, not perfect, and fat is leaving at the same time. Be accountable to me (and you guys) but leave the pressure dialed down. I feel telling my coworkers and even friends that I want to this large amount of weight... that would be a pressure that wouldn't make me better or faster but just self-conscious.

IT'S NOT LIKE THEY DON'T KNOW I'M FAT. XD So they probably have guessed I don't want to GAIN weight, at least.
dangerousfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 02:31 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 374/ticker/size 12

Height: 5'8"

I am choosing to not tell anyone else besides my husband and sis. My mom sort of understands but doesn't get it. Anyway, I am actually looking forward to seeing people now in the future. Like my SIL at Easter (if I stay on my goal I should have lost 35 pounds by then) and my brother out of state come October - I should be down hopefully 80-100 pounds then! That will be fun.
oneLess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 02:58 PM   #18  

S/C/G: .

Height: 5'4

I haven't made it a big boasting announcement or anything. I have told most close people what I am doing. I don't want to do this to just lose weight. It is a lifestyle change for me. I NEED to lose weight and I will, I am losing weight. And it feels great. I can't wait to be at goal still enjoying my grilled chicken, veggies, and sweet potato. I have been having heartburn since I was pregnant and that was 2 years ago. I've been on plan for 9 days now and NO HEARTBURN!!!! It's truly amazing what healthier foods will do for the body. I want to prevent my daughter from walking down the same footsteps my sister, my mom, grandma, and I have all had to walk down. I don't want it to be an issue for her. I want her to prefer healthy foods to junky foods. And the only way for that to happen is for it to be normal throughout her childhood growing up. I sure wish it was during mine. As it says in my siggy, if I can't do it for a lifetime, I'm not doing it to lose weight. That's my personal motto because I can't give up certain foods or restrict myself from eating yummy things like pizza and pasta and dessert. I have to give myself the tools necessary to create healthier versions of those things and I will still succeed while splurging once in a while.

It's a tough decision to tell people you are trying to lose weight because it gives you that fear of what if I fail? What will they say? But I like to hope that my family will give me the nudge I need to get back on plan and eating the healthier foods.

*okay, I rambled a bit too much. SORRY!*
playfullyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 03:45 PM   #19  
No Day But Today

S/C/G: 327.6/321.8/150

Height: 5'7"

I never officially told anyone except one person I work with, but it became kind of obvious when I started bringing salads for lunch instead of ordering pizza and chinese food, and when I started taking the stairs and walking around the gym on lunches and breaks. I have a few people at work who have taken some interest, but so far, thankfully, no one is being seriously invasive or asking too many questions, and I definitely don't feel like I have any Diet Police around like I have at some of my other jobs. There are actually one or two co-workers who credit me for inspiring their own healthy changes. I always tell them the credit goes to THEM for sticking with it!
lavieboheme73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 04:26 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 305/ticker/150

Height: 5'8"

Reading our postings, reminds me of people talking about being "in" or "out" of the closet about any type of sensitive issue.
Sskar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 10:55 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 357/350/180

Height: 5'10"

my husband knows, and my best friend...my parents know I am exercising because I talk about it but I haven't let them in on anything else. I have no plans of telling anyone else.

I feel like people watch me waiting for a loss when they know I am trying, and at my size a loss won't be noticable for quite some time and I don't want anyone asking me how I am doing everytime I turn a corner.
Sasil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 11:25 PM   #22  
Argh.

S/C/G: 308/273/175

Height: 5'9"

It *is* sort of an in-or-out of the closet sort of thing, isn't it?

I didn't really feel the need to talk about it a lot, either. It's a pretty personal thing -- I wouldn't share if I my undies were riding up that day, either.

My family knows, of course, because it's hard not for them not to. I do the shopping and a lot of the cooking, and have been turning down things that I would have enjoyed a month ago.
calluna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 02:48 AM   #23  

S/C/G: 349.8/229/165

Height: 5'9"

My kids know and knew from day 1, but thats it. Oh, and my husband, but I didn't tell him untill I had lost 65 lbs., though he said he could tell, just never said anything???
I think if I tell people, they than expect me to lose at a certain rate or to look a certain way or start watching what I eat. Too much pressure for me!!! I need to lose at my own rate and monitor myself
bigmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 07:53 PM   #24  

S/C/G: 349/T/180

Height: 5'8

My daughter and my mother know because we are all trying to eat healthier. At work a few people know because I am obviously eating lighter and they have asked. I try not to tell many people at work because then I open myself up for "expert advice" and for me that leads to self-doubt. So if they ask, I am honest and if they don't, well then they will figure it out in time. Kind of like the "Don't ask, Don't tell" policy! LOL
KTFaith05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 11:11 AM   #25  

S/C/G: 412/TICKER/175

Height: 5'5

Oh yes! My boyfriend definitely knows, and he supports me 100%. My Mom knows. My immediate family, I haven't really went out and told them, but they may suspect, since I've dropped 50 lbs. And my closest friends know, as they've started the journey themselves after seeing that it actually works. ;)
kayleystar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 12:06 PM   #26  
Kae
. * . * . * . * . * . * .

My family and 2 closest friends know...

With my family I just came out and said it because I knew they would notice anyways and I figured if they knew they would be less likely to pressure me into eating junk food. Plus I buy my own groceries now and cook separate meals for myself...

With my friends I just thought it would be easier to put it out there so there would be less pressure when planning social gatherings. They know I don't want to drink or eat extra calories and are pretty supportive about that.

But, I don't really talk about it much with my family or friends unless they ask how I am doing. So it's not like I am normally announcing my weight to them everyday. When I hit a big milestone I might say something though...

With coworkers or others I haven't said anything and no one has noticed and/or asked questions about my weight loss or new habits.
Kae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 12:09 PM   #27  

S/C/G: 332/332/250

Height: 5'5

I used to mention it to friends and family. By me falling off my wagon all the time, I started getting the whole, "your on a diet again?" I decided that this time I was just gonna tell a family member and my BFF. Now when they see me eat something "healthy", they always question me by saying "are you on a diet again?" I just smile =)
JessiLovinMeNOW is offline   Reply With Quote