Old 08-18-2009, 09:20 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 453/436/175

Height: 5'9"

Good morning!
I just finished my most pressing work stuff via email (I love telecommuting!) and will get started on my life stuff before the sun gets too high in the sky. We're supposed to hit 93 degrees here today, hurrah; after a summer of cold, I am SO happy to sweat!!!

Georgia, you're cracking me up about "diagnosing" w/your godmother. I love that show, too, especially the therapist who worked with the VERY germaphobic young man (the one who wouldn't keep towels in his bathroom) because she is absolutely brutal in exposures. Like with the show Intervention, I usually have a little sappy cry at the end when we hear about the success/progress. I've heard about Laurel Mellin--fascinating work--thanks for the link. I'm still thinking through the obesity/OCD connection (and have found a couple of studies that show a link). Heather is right--the obsession is the thinking about food/the "compulsion" is the behavior, done to alleviate anxiety. What I'm thinking is that I (we) obsess about food (after some kind of trigger--maybe external stimuli, maybe internal stimuli) and the anxiety occurs because we try to deny ourselves what we're obsessing over... I keep thinking about that woman who plucked out her hair at night. As much as she didn't WANT to engage in the behavior, as much as she hated the way she looked because of it, she kept doing it because it gave her a "release" or some kind of pleasure or even numbed her. I feel the same way about over-eating or eating sugar/fat. When I'm scarfing down a pint of Ben & Jerry's, I'm not enjoying every spoonful--I'm wolfing it down. And if I try to eat just half and put the other half in the freezer, every time I'm in the kitchen I think about it. Or if I go to bed, I lie there and think about it. Or when I wake up in the morning, I think about it. Finally, I just eat it and get it over with so I can stop obsessing about it. I don't get any real pleasure from the eating, but I get relief from the obsession.

Anyway, those are just my morning thoughts/babble. I need to make my list and get moving on the day. Hope you all have a FABULOUS one. Heather, I will be sending all my best cosmic, scale-nudging thoughts your way! Please send some in return.
Tippers in Maine
tippers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 09:26 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Tippers -- Scale nudge to ya!

Hey, I think I just found the first 2 female cucumber flowers on my cuke plant! I don't know why it took so long, and I don't know if they will have time to grow, but yay! At least it's progress!

I'm learning a lot my first year growing yeggies!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 12:00 PM   #18  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

Heather, I have noticed that if I drink something hot and comforting that I can avoid eating something. I do like the Good Earth spiced tea, so I think I need to go shopping.

I'm disappointed this morning. I worked at staying OP with the Medifast last week and got down to 310.5, but then the lethargy and achiness really took hold of me, I increased my food intake a little (well under 1700 calories, and carbs under 125 gm) for a few days, my energy went up, but this morning the scale has me at 318. I've been consistently drinking water, a gallon a day. I don't feel bloated. I was hoping to keep my weight close to the 310 for my doctor's appointment today. I'll only show a 2 lb loss since last year!

I think I'm going to leave early for San Francisco today. I want to go shopping, or take a nice long walk along Fisherman's Wharf....no, definitely shopping!
geoblewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 04:29 PM   #19  

Good evening, all! I'm having a good day, eating well, spent an hour in the lake diving and collecting plant samples to send to the Univ. of Conn., catching up on some work.

After last night's debacle, I decided to head over to the next town for their TOPS group meeting to see if it's a better fit for me. And if that one doesn't work, I'll go to the next town, and so on. Eventually I'll find my fit, or, if not, at least I'll get to do some traveling. ;-)

Hope everyone is great!
Tippers in Maine

Last edited by tippers; 08-18-2009 at 04:33 PM.
Old 08-18-2009, 06:08 PM   #20  

hey all!

I had a grueling -- but good -- workout with my trainer this morning. I've managed to stay on track so far and have a good dinner planned!
Old 08-18-2009, 09:29 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 348.5/T/185

Time to get back in gear - I feel like I have strayed far from the giving/getting support I have come to rely on 3FC for. First it was a how come I'm not getting the support mentality - hey - I think that is blaming others. I've thought about this for a few days and my support to each of you has waivered. Sure I read and let you know what's going on with me but I have not supported each of you in the fashion I committed to - without each of you I would not be nearly 90 pounds lighter than I was when I started this journey.

I am re-committing to support each of you in any way possible, even when it's a difficult thing to say. I know that positive strength generates more positive energy - it's time for me to quit playing with these pounds and hit that 90 pound mark and march on down the scale.

Who will join me?
gggirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 09:37 PM   #22  

Height: 5'7"

I am with you 100% Carol. I am so ready to get to the 100lb mark and pass it!! Lets get motivated and lose this weight!! We derserve it..we are worth it and we need each other to do it!!!
dgramie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 10:53 PM   #23  

I'm all in--Carol?--I only know your user names. I'm sure that new people come and go, but I'm as happy as dancing broccoli to have found such a congenial group with remarkably good punctuation and grammar.

I'm very excited to report that by switching from the TOPS meeting in my own town to the TOPS meeting in the neighboring town, I not only found a much, much, much better group leader but I also "lost" 3 pounds. Apparently I weigh less in the west, or Heather's scale nudge really worked. So maybe that's the trick to getting the scale moving... get the scale literally moving.

Tippers in Maine
Old 08-18-2009, 10:55 PM   #24  
Freedom in living

S/C/G: ?/ticker/180

Height: 5'2"

Well said Carol!
JuliaDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 03:36 AM   #25  

Unhappy support or lack of

I haven't been posting since my computer died and I had to borrow this lap top from my SIL. I just needed to make a comment here.

I have been a member here since 2005, always felt welcome and supported, almost always! If any of you go back to the first of the year you will see that I was ignored most of the time. It was as if I hadn't been here at all. You had things to say to everyone else, nothing to me. I said most of you, not all.

GGgirl, yes please support those that are members here, it helps more than you know. If you only say hi, it helps.

Tipper, I don't know you, but something you said in your last post really caught my attention. My punctuation and grammer may not be right on target, but I don't believe that should keep anyone from posting on here. We are here for weight loss support, that is it! It smacked of snobbery!

For those of you who have known me all this time, I apoligize! I don't usually get involved in bickering on the forum, but this bothered me a lot! I usually just post and let it go. Some things are just hard to ignore.

Ruth

Last edited by Iwillbe; 08-19-2009 at 03:38 AM.
Iwillbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 06:50 AM   #26  

I am horribble at time with my grammer.I am 45 and havent taken any classes since I was in high school.I know my brain gets going faster than my fingers at times.I really dont want to have to worry about whether my grammer is correct or what.I am here to lose weight and support others in it.

Ruth- I am sorry if you ever felt unsupported here.I am sorry that I dont do more personals.I try but by the time I get the started I forget who has said what.

Tipper- great loss..keep up the good work.

Carol- I think you hit the nail on the head.

julia-I have missed you!

hi to everyone else
Debi
Old 08-19-2009, 07:25 AM   #27  

S/C/G: 348.5/T/185

Tippers - glad you found a TOPS group that is a better fit. When I tried to attend it was more of a social outing and I never saw any weight loss successes - didn't work for me. I hadn't thought of finding another group.

I meant to comment on your food obsession comment last week - I think each of us who have got to 300+ pounds certainly have/had food obsessions/addictions. Changing that behavior is our challenge. Put that obsession into planning healthy meals. Channel some of that energy you put into food in to cardio exercise - nothing feels better than a good sweat.

Julia - hi girlfriend - nice to see you poke your head in! I've wondered how you are doing.

Ruth - first off HI! Yes - I understand what you are saying - when I first started posting in this forum at the first of the year at times I felt the intruder in a very close knit group that had been together for some time. You are so right - even a hi in personals keeps everyone from feeling left out. It's so nice to see you post - you're the other early bird with me!

Debi - your grammar is just fine - your support to me has been unwaivering - seems I'm always chasing you always a step (at least) behind you. Sharing recipes has changed up my menu - have anything new to share?

Terri and Lilion - where are my other Show Me Staters? Hope all is well with you.

The scale for me is struggling (as my most recent post). I can put 3 days together - feel like I have the tiger by the tail and then POOF. I think I need to get back to the one day at a time mentality.

Heather - I'm going to try the beverage in the evening - my problem is when I walk in the house after a 12-14 hour day - interesting thing is this goes back to coming home from school and immediately grazing - and it's been many a year since I came home from school.

Hugs to all,
Carol
gggirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 07:43 AM   #28  

ONE DAY AT A TIME...lets try that! Lets stay op TODAY, and make sure we do our best at it. Be sure and drink enough water! We can do this one day at a TIME!! Think before we EAT is this healthy does it fit into my plan for today. Lets try and log a few min of exercise also. WE can do THIS together!!
Old 08-19-2009, 08:09 AM   #29  

Good morning, all!

I'll post a real message in a minute, but let me first apologize/explain my "grammar" remark. It was supposed to be funny. I'm an English/writing teacher, the kind who runs around with a red marker so that I can correct graffiti on bathroom walls. Like obsessing over Ben & Jerry's, I can't control it--but I certainly won't be judging anyone based on a run-on sentence--how foolish would that be???

My remark wasn't meant to be snobby or hurtful at all! What I meant was how lovely it is to find a group where people express their thoughts, feelings, frustrations, hopes, etc. so well, where people are engaging in good dialogue.

Tippers

Last edited by tippers; 08-19-2009 at 08:16 AM.
Old 08-19-2009, 08:22 AM   #30  

I have been awful about being supportive! Earlier this year I felt it was a victory to even get here and post -- and I'm the one who usually starts the weekly threads! Lately, I have been doing better about posting, but not always at being supportive.

To be honest, it's hard to keep everything straight that everyone is doing, and to respond to everyone. Feeling that is required can make me less likely to respond to one person, because I can't respond to all and just don't have that time. But that doesn't mean I can't be supportive!

And that brings me to Ruth. Honey, I understand where you're coming from. I'm sorry if you feel ignored. I think LOTS of us feel ignored at times. There are plenty of times I post here and no one responds. You notice it because it happens to you, but it happens to lots of us. I think some people do get more responses -- maybe they share a lot about themselves, or really work to engage others, or write in a way that just gets responses... I haven't really made a study of it.

As for Tippers comment about spelling and grammar -- maybe it's because I'm a teacher but I laughed when I read it. I read too many email students that go something like this:

"hi i hope u can help me 4 a sec im in your class and i cant come to class on mon and we have an exam so i hope i can take it on tu im free at 10 and will be in yr ofc then to take it"

So, it's refreshing to come to places where people use actual words and full sentences. I can't obviously speak for Tippers, but I didn't read that people shouldn't post here if they don't spell words correctly!

I hope you're doing okay, Ruth!