Closed Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 02:06 AM   #16  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

Day 2 on Medifast for me, and I didn't kill anybody yet, although I came dangerously close. I got a package of shakes, soups and bars and my 11-year-old immediately wanted to try the bars and drink my shakes. After I made him a perfectly delightful chicken enchilada dinner, from scratch! I'm going to have to hide my stuff.

I did eat around 1500 calories today. While going off the strict Medifast, I was well under my usual 2000 calories, and even under what I used to shoot for, 1750 calories, so I'm staying true to my challenge. Tomorrow I resolve to eat closer to 1200 calories. Although I don't mind the jumping around so much with the calories, higher one day a week, lower for the rest of the week, and always staying between 1200-1500 calories.

I've been reading up on the very low calorie diets. So many opinions! I hardly know who to believe. But the consensus is that they should only be used by morbidly obese people under a doctor's supervision. Staying on them too long can cause gallstones. And some believe that weight training is crucial during the diet in order to keep up the development of mitochondria, which gets that metabolism fired up and going.

I found that some of the best exercise for creating new mitochondria is rowing and swimming. I had a rower, a really good one, but the ex has it now and I won't be seeing it again. I'm now looking for one locally. I really liked it, I was able to really get my heart rate up with it and it isn't a weight-bearing exercise. I think that it was the most effective piece of exercise equipment I've ever owned. I miss it!

Georgia
Old 07-22-2009, 08:27 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

hi everyone -- I had a good day yesterday, even though I did eat a large post-dinner snack (blueberries and yogurt with kashi), it turned out okay, because I had a much smaller dinner!

Today hubby is home from a biz trip a day early. Yay! But that means a change in plans for dinner. As of now, I haven't solved that problem, but I'll solve it.

As for my garden, lots of cherry toms are coming in, and we're even going to get to eat the first of the larger toms today. But these are the plants I bought in May. The ones I put in in June have flowers and a couple are starting to fruit. Slow going!
Old 07-22-2009, 11:53 AM   #18  

S/C/G: 278/267.2/180

Height: 5'7"

Hi ladies,

OMG, I am totally sucking this week at my own challenges. I'm just completely out of it this week.

Yesterday was a tough food day. Last week, 39 employees were let go. This is a direct result of how the crash of the auto industry is impacting our company. I heard yesterday the rumor that they are talking about eliminating about half of our sales staff. Again, economy driven. Then, I found out that 10 more people were given exit dates yesterday. Three from what used to be our finance department. All long-term employees. I seem to be noticing more anxiety again while at work. I gotta watch that as it can be detrimental to my food intake.

We've had wet weather the last two days so I haven't been outside working much. I've spent a lot of time at the computer. Today the sun is shining so I'll get my butt in gear outside tonight.

Our tomatoes are kicking into gear this week. We plant the Cherry 100 and those are fabulous tasting tomatoes. We've had some of our bigger tomatoes turn ripe this week so last night was the first BLT. So good! DH bought six dozen ears of corn yesterday so we had fresh corn too. The cukes have been delicious too. It is so sad when the fresh foods from the garden die out. Seems like they don't last long enough.

Tonight is salmon, salad and fresh cukes and maybe tomatoes. Oh yeah, there might be fresh peppers for the salad too. I'll have to check that when I get home.

Ruth - Whats on your agenda for the day?

Ruby - Come on down! I'm not a good one to answer about motivation for exercise because I seem to be lacking that myself!

Georgia - Hmm, good info about the mitro something or other. I had a rower once. I think it was my first of several pieces of exercise equipment. I eventually got rid of it. Too boring.

I better get this posted. I suck at being able to write replies this morning. My brain and hands are not working well together.

to all!
Old 07-22-2009, 01:30 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 345/ticker/170

Height: 5'8

Hi Ladies !

Hope everyone is well on this Wednesday afternoon.

I've been doing great so far this week. I was a bit nervous about starting phase 2 on SB, but it's really been good.

I've exercised more this week too. Walking, bike riding, etc. The weather has been beautiful so it's been nice to get out there.

I've been kind of giggling about those of you gals missing your hubbies. Mine has been home this week .. and seriously driving me bananas It has been far too many years of me being used to him not being around at night, then when he is, I go bonkers. lol

Barb .. Good luck with your challenges of having company. Company is always nice, but it can be really difficult to stay motivated and on track. If anyone can do it, it's you !

Terri .. Ok, it's settled !! I think we should all load up and come to your place for bootcamp. Maybe we can push each other and get each other moving more

Vortex .. So true about the moving part and it getting easier. That's what I keep trying to think .. it will get easier and I will start to enjoy it more.

Georgia .. Keep us posted on how you're doing with medifast. Sounds like you've read up on things. I don't think I could survive on it, but more power to you if you feel it's right for you PS .. don't kill anyone !

I really envy all of you with your gardens. *sigh* I've never been great at growing things. I had planned on a few tomato plants and some herbs, but like many things, it just never happened.

Heather .. sounds like you are doing great, and mmmm love the blueberries and yogurt. Do you count every calorie each day?

I find it great to hear all your stories each day, and to learn about how each of you are travelling on your journey. We all are doing different things, but finding what will work for us. It's great !

Take care everyone and have a good evening
Old 07-22-2009, 04:16 PM   #20  

Terri -- Ack, talk about job stress! breathe in and out a lot! Your garden sounds great! We just had our first non-cherry tomato today- a celebrity. Tasty!

Ruby -- I write down my food every day if I want to be successful. For me, writing it down is about accountability. I can't "forget" about some calories. When I stop writing, I tend to gain. I've learned this the hard way (gained back 30 pounds).

I'm having a very good week so far. Staying on plan and moving. I'm hoping that the scale moves next week, as it didn't this week.
Old 07-22-2009, 07:19 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 351/ticker/175

Height: 5'9"

O boy, the heat is about to drive me batty! And it's not even the hottest of them yet so my hubby, knowing how it effects me (I become a raving, short tempered, knit pickin' biot*h) decided to buy an air conditioner since it's going to reach into the 90s this weekend. He usually gets the brunt of my terrible moods since he's the only one here. So for his safety and my sanity...lol..we go get one tomorrow. Already the stores are running out of them so we had to have them hold one for us til we can get there.

I hope to get outside and get the yards mowed too before the heatwave.

Heather, our tomatos just barely have started turning red. Sure seems like they are late blooming this year.

As far as weight issues go, I did have some sun chips last night, but didnt over due. Normally I would of sat there and ate the whole bag, but not this time so I feel good about that. So pretty much staying OP just not getting any exercise in which has always been my problem.
Have a great night!
Old 07-22-2009, 09:13 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 348.5/T/185

Debbie - please send some heat this way - record lows here several nights.

Nothing better than tilapia with steamed veggies after a great workout. Wow the endorphins are going crazy - love it!

My resolve to get out of the 60s in July is back! It takes staying the course - I will stay the course.
Old 07-22-2009, 11:43 PM   #23  
BELIEVE!

Hi Ladies!
I need to go to bed, but I'm just popping in for a minute. I survived night one of houseguests. The requested dinner was bratwurst...so, they all had brats w/ buns, corn, macaroni salad. I enjoyed a Jennie-o Turkey Italian sausage (first time trying them...YUM!), a mini ear of corn and lots of fresh green beans! I felt great about my choices. Tonight I enjoyed 1/2 c of Edy's light ice cream.. I was well w/in my calories for the day and had such a crazy, busy that I should have certainly burned off some fat.

Tomorrow is a bit of a pamper day for the female houseguest and me. We are going to start with pedi/manis, then massages. After that we are picking up our other guest and heading to lunch (must make wise choices) and then toy shopping for my son's Bday..we are celebrating w/ friends on Sunday. Dinner is going on the grill at home...I have ribeyes from the butcher, potatoes and LOTS of veggies! I'll have a small about of the steak/potatoes and load up on the veggies. I am taking a rest day tomorrow from the gym, but we plan on hitting the pool in the afternoon so I will do some exercise there.

Would love to chat more, but I should really get some sleep.

G'night Friends!
Old 07-22-2009, 11:55 PM   #24  

Barb -- THAT sounds like a great day!
Old 07-23-2009, 12:11 AM   #25  
Renaissance Woman

Hi girls, I'm here for confessional time. I was doing so well today, day 3 on Medifast, supposed to be hump day on the program. My mom called us to come over for lunch. I chose to make my single food meal of the day at her house because I knew she'd have lots of veggies and lean meats. I overate a little on the veggies, but not too bad.

After we got home I calculated my calories for the day and found I had already reached 800, so I knew I would have to taper it down for the rest of the day so I wouldn't lose focus. I did some housework, then decided that the apples on the kitchen table weren't going to get eaten in their natural state and the boys might like a nice apple pie. A healthy apple pie, with lower fat crust, and only a little organic sugar inside.

Yep, after it came out of the oven, I lost all my self-control and I had a really big piece! Thankfully there was no ice cream in the house! So now I've recalculated my calories for the day and I'm up to 1982. Well over the Medifast plan, under my usual caloric needs...I'm struggling with hunger!

I'm going to bed now, where there is no food. I'm really full from the pie. It was my dinner. And the extra carbs are making me sleepy. At least I won't have a problem with getting to bed early tonight.

Georgia
Old 07-23-2009, 07:18 AM   #26  

S/C/G: 348.5/T/185

Barb - sounds like you have a wonderful day planned. My niece and I are doing man/ped on Saturday before a bridal shower for another niece. I do love a pedicure. I love grilled veggies too - will have to wait another night for some - tonight is grilled chicken salad - DH always cooks me extra chicken breasts when he loads up the grill. He will finally be home late tonight - I've enjoyed the down time but I'm ready for him to be home.

Georgia - today is a new day - you'll do well. Keep your focus and let us know how it goes. One meal a day and I wouldn't work out too well.

Heather - my celebrity tomatoes seem really small this year - I'm picking about a dozen a day but they are tiny so don't go too far. Not sure if it is because I have them in a container or not. What size are yours? My beefsteak are just now setting on and I don't expect them to survive the veggie eating pups.

Terri - glad to see you. Hang in there - is your job ok? That is so upsetting to have it happen - we've been doing the same. The long term employees that are let go has been tough for me to handle always thinking it could be me next. What's our challenge for next week?

Ruby - good morning - you're doing great! Keep up the good work.

Angela - is life settling down for you any? When do you have to go back for your moms surgery?

Ruth - good morning!

Debbie - are you still wearing your pedometer to track your steps? It's a great tool for me - I don't like logging small numbers in my spreadsheet.

Gotta scoot to the office - have a great day! The heat is on - be sure to get some extra water in today.
Old 07-23-2009, 07:33 AM   #27  

Where has summer gone?? It was june 1 and now here it is almost aug.
I am so ready to get my routine back when school starts back.I am having hte kids a bit more now and seem to be doing better.
Hubby is steadily dropping weight and mine is going back and forth within the same 7lbs.Scales go up 7 and then down a few then back up to 7 and then back down near the lowest and then right back up.GRR but to be honest im not writing down my food right now. So today I will start my notebook back. Its been so stressful with hubby sick!!! Heart cath is planned for aug 4th now.
hugs to all
Old 07-23-2009, 08:23 AM   #28  

Georgia -- When you get up today, just put yesterday behind you!! and maybe don't tempt yourself while on medifast?? I make mistakes like this a lot!

Carol -- I've never planted celebrities before, but they seem kind of small to me. Certainly bigger than the cherry toms, but maybe only 2 or so inches across (I will have to measure!) This is my first year doing any tomatoes! Mine are also containered, but may also suffer from my lack of knowing anything about fertilizer and whatnot! Not to mention our cool weather.
Old 07-23-2009, 10:14 AM   #29  
Renaissance Woman

Yeah, I've put the pie behind me, but there's always the piper to pay, right?

Did I eat 14,000 calories last night? No. Then why is the scale showing a four-pound gain? I had less than 2000 calories, my TEE is around 2400 calories, I should have at the very least maintained my weight.

My body and I are not getting along today. It is refusing to let me drop below 300 lbs. And I am angry about that! But I will move forward with the Medifast and see what happens.

Georgia
Old 07-23-2009, 10:21 AM   #30  

S/C/G: 278/267.2/180

Hi ladies,

Its Thursday, right? I am so ready for the allergy crap to settle down. I'd like to have a few clear headed days again.

Last night was a good, productive and active evening. I did quite a bit of weedeating with the hand-held so that was toning for my arms. Also, a testament to the muscles in my upper body as to how much I could do before my back ached. Then I rode Spanky. Good for the inner thighs and abs. Ended with some time in the pool which was darn right chilly but I was determined to get some leg toning done.

I still haven't journalled my food this week to see what choices I could make differently. This morning was a McDonald's morning for breakfast. Instead of getting the big orange juice, which is so good, I got a diet coke instead. not that diet coke has any nutritional value what it doesn't have is loads of sugar and calories. I'll have a healthy lunch of chicken and salad. We ended up having leftovers late last night so tonight we'll have tilapia and salad.

I know the other substitute I'm making this week. Instead of an evening treat of a Dove chocolate or skinny cow, I'm skipping those to cut back on calories. Tonight's treat will be local grown watermelon.

I've been thinking about next week's challenge. Ruby's comments about boot camp have been rolling around in my head. I need something like a bootcamp to kick my butt with exercise. Our challenge will probably be exercise themed.

Let's not forget our current tools - planning, mental intensity, and purposeful choices to keep calories in control.

Ruth, you mentioned the two-pound challenges. I remember those. I think I started those way back in the day when 2Cute and Thin posted regularly. how about a five pound challenge by Labor Day? We can each pick out a non-food reward if we achieve the goal. We'll still do the weekly challenges to keep our focus and build our success tools.

Sound okay?

Better get to working. to all!
Closed Thread