Old 07-08-2009, 04:42 PM   #1  
We've only just begun....

S/C/G: 314/306/145

Height: 5'6"

Exclamation Any 300+ pound Medifasters?

I just started one week ago. After reading around the forum, I see that Medifast is generally frowned upon, but since I have such a huge amount to lose (I weigh 310, goal weight is around 140) I figure it's more important to lose the weight fast. And don't worry, I WILL keep it off. They have a great transition and maintenance program.

Anyway.... I have been obese literally as long as I can remember. I have an 8-month old baby, and I want to lose this weight SO bad before she realizes I'm fat! I want to give her a chance to have a healthy and happy life.

So are there any other Medifasters out there who have this much weight to lose? I definitely need the accountability! And to know that I'm not the only one...
BLMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 09:30 AM   #2  
Anne

S/C/G: 407/358-Dec2007/tracker/125

Height: 5'4"

Welcome. With questions about Medifast you might be better off trying the Medifast forum:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/medifast-223/

Most fast weight loss systems (especially when you've got a lot to lose) are eventually going to depress your metabolism. That makes it very hard to maintain when you stop, no matter what they tell you. When looking into any diet plan, make sure that at 300+ pounds you're given a different diet plan than someone with only 20 or 40 pounds to lose. I still lose weight eating more than I did 100 pounds ago (granted I've increased my daily movements), and I've already found a way of eating that I can maintain for the rest of my life.

No matter, good luck with your weight loss! Feel free to jump into one of the weekly threads and say hello.
RealCdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 04:08 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 310/240/180

Height: 5'5"

I've never heard of medifast actually. But good luck on your weight loss journey! A little one can be a great motivator especially when they hit 2 and start running from you on a daily basis it's like exercise
aphimira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 04:45 PM   #4  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

When you start at a high weight, sometimes just cutting calories, eating better foods and increasing exercise can result in some dramatic weight loss while fueling your metabolism. Not that it is true for everyone but I lost weight fairly quickly at first while eating lots of food just lower calorie foods and exercising.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 08:56 PM   #5  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

I'm considering Medifast. I did change my diet and started to exercise regularly, and that dropped the first 10% off my body pretty quickly, but I seem to have been on the longest plateau in recorded history since then...very frustrating. I have a really tough time with just cutting calories, and I don't have time to spend hours exercising, so that's why Medifast is looking good to me right now.

I have tapped in to the Medifast group, so maybe I'll catch you there...

Georgia
geoblewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 12:37 AM   #6  
Ironman in Training

S/C/G: 302/205/150

Height: 5'5

"I don't have time to spend hours exercising, so that's why Medifast is looking good to me right now"

As long as your diet is good you don't need to exercise a ton to boost your calorie deficit. Things like taking walks on your lunch break, doing more work around the house etc adds up, and honestly you can lose weight just as fast as programs like medi-fast with reasonable calories and moderate exercise. While purposeful exercise is probably better it doesn't mean you have to do it the traditional way.

I won't comment on the medi because I've done similar VLC diets and didn't have a good time with keeping it off, but hey doesn't mean it can't work for you.
Idealmuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 01:12 AM   #7  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

My issue seems to require extra exercise as well as caloric deficits. I've got PCOS-like symptoms (not officially diagnosed) and I simply do not lose weight unless I'm exercising at least 90 minutes a day (two 30-minute cardio and 30 minutes of weight training) and eating a lot less food.

I don't know that the MF will work so well on me, but I haven't given it a try. I do know that with a reduction in weight, some of my symptoms will be more manageable.

Georgia
geoblewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 11:09 PM   #8  

Hey beautiful ladies!

I'm dropping in from cyberspace to tell you that Medifast simply rocks. This is my second time on it and I have done every program known to man. I chose Medifast again because it is easy and full of nutrition, read the lables and you will see you are not getting shorted on anything. That is peace of mind for me. Some days I do the full fast and other days I do the lean and green meal too. I regained most of the weight again because I simply failed to change my lifestyle and relationship with food. I thought, and it was stupid of me, that this time I could eat whatever I wanted and would be ok. How insane is that? I am an addict. Food is my drug. Just like an alcoholic can never have just one drink again......I am in the situation where I will never be able to have just one treat again. If I do, it will derail me and I'll go on an eating binge, just like an alcoholic. I am saddened that my days with treats are over with but I know what I need to do to stay sober. Eating healthy foods doesnt derail me though. But I will have to pass up any goodie offered to me because it wont ever be safe. I love Medifast because I have always been so healthy on it. My cholesterol is down to 155 now from 215. When I got sick of being so heavy, the choice was clear as to what program I was going to use. It is drastic, yes, but if you work the program, it works for you. And to anyone who says it isnt healthy or realistic, they are wrong. It is the only thing I will ever consider but this is my last time doing the program because I can no longer keep going up and down in weight. That is BAD for you and my body has shown the affects. I know I am on the right track when I can honestly tell you all that I would rather stay on Medifast forever than have a hot fudge brownie sundae. And when I am done with Medifast, I will still continue to buy it because I really love the products and they are treats to me. Its not unhealthy to incorporate Medifast into your regular eating plan after you are at goal. So to those of you thinking about Medifast, I say go for it. I really do love it. I have lost 47 pounds in 4 months and am not far from my goal now. I dont consider it deprivation at all, you have to think about what means the most to you: being slim and trim and healthy or out of control eating with health problems. I know what I choose. How about you?

Good luck to all!!

Suzie

Last edited by Suzie; 07-11-2009 at 11:12 PM.
Suzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 04:02 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 410/410/185

Medifast does work, I have seen results. I was on medifast for 6 months and dropped about 25 pounds. However, I don't think that medifast is for everyone. I weighed 360 lbs when I did the diet, but I quit because of the way it made me feel. Keep in mind of course, everyone handles diets differently. I was so grumpy and irritable all of the time when I was on medifast and it was hard on my parents' pockets (as they were paying at the time). I DID lose weight and I did follow all directions and exercise plans and additional suppliments, supper meals, ect.

The taste is not horrible, depending on your likes and dislikes. I actually still have some of the strawberry and chocolate left that I grab and go if I'm in a hurry because they weren't bad. they have more than just shakes though, they have soup and crackers and other stuff too.

I don't know why, but I get really grumpy if I can't have real food... be it grapes or be it steak. I think that you should at the very least try the medifast diet because it might be the one for you. It just wasn't the one for me.
angelpainjel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 05:06 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 350/239/160

I tried Medifast last summer and could not endure it for long. For, me the food is not edible except for the oatmeal which I made into legal muffins. Like the preceding poster, I got extremely grumpy tired of fake food and meals that were too sweet. I also figured out that you can mimic the Medifast foods for far less money and they were better tasting. For instance, Atkins and other protein shakes do not have the gritty taste. You can substitute many canned soups for the gross Medifast tomato and chicken noodle ones. There are many real foods out there that will work.
If you like Medifast, I respect that and truly hope that it works for you. My experience was bad because I just can't do a constant diet of heavily processed, fake-tasting, sweet foods. However, if your will is strong and the food is palatable then it is a good match.
CatWuv is offline   Reply With Quote