Closed Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 08:41 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Default 300+ and Getting Fit after 40 #217

This thread is a sub-set of the 300+ thread.

This group is for those dealing with the challenges of having a significant amount of weight to lose and being fit which becomes harder after age 40. If you're an old or new friend and not over 40 and feel this is the place to post, jump right in.
Old 06-29-2009, 08:50 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Hey, are we really going to end June with less than 15,000 exercise minutes?? Say it ain't so!!!!

EVERYONE is invited to participate!! Just track your minutes and post them on the stickied thread!!
Old 06-29-2009, 09:44 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 335/319/175

Height: 5'6

Default Joining you here

Hi everyone! As I'm 327.5# (this morning) and 42yo, I figure this is the right place for me
Old 06-29-2009, 10:03 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 278/267.2/180

Height: 5'7"

Hi ladies,

Back at work and my body is kind of glad. I trimmed hedges and pulled weeds yesterday. Since I was using manual clippers, I feel it in my upper arms and shoulders. I was contemplating doing my next hedge trimmer with Roundup. Getting to be that time of summer when I'm kind of burned out on all the yardwork. We spent several hours at the saddle club arena mowing yesterday. DH did that with the ATV and pull mower while I used the trim mower trying to get around the arena fence. We were whipped after that. At least there were trees so there was some shade relief. Yes, that did lead to a very nice nap as soon as we were home and had lunch. More weeding followed and then a nice workout in the pool. I need to get these lingering outside projects done so I can relax a little more in the evenings. Or do something novel like get back to exercise at the fitness center.

Tonight's agenda is ride Spanky and pull weeds/trim mow in the back yard. And a pool workout.

Angela - Hi and welcome to the group! Looking forward to getting to know you more!

Heather - I have some minutes to add for June.

to all!
Old 06-29-2009, 11:51 AM   #5  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

Welcome, Angela! So glad to have you here, and congratulations on your initial successes.

Georgia

PS) Today is household maintenance day at my house. Laundry is piling up, bathrooms need to be scoured, the fridge and pantry have to be restocked, the floors need vacuuming, the car needs washing. As soon as I rouse the troops, we're off! This is the day they start to understand what "an average American teen's life" looks like. As far as they're concerned, having been raised overseas in a privileged expatriate environment, this is foreign and unfamiliar territory. It's a good thing I was raised by underprivileged immigrant parents and I know how to clean and shop frugally!

I'm so happy this morning, because my older son has decided to stay at home for two more years and go to the local community college to get his general ed in order to save more money for the big university. I'll have a total of three years with him at home, and I can really help him prepare for adulthood as well as enjoy more time with him. His little brother is very happy with this too, although he admits his brother's XBox factors in with the joy as well.

Last edited by geoblewis; 06-29-2009 at 11:52 AM.
Old 06-29-2009, 05:53 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 351/ticker/175

Height: 5'9"

Default Results for the Spring 300+ Challenge

Here's the results ladies!!
Thanks to those who stuck it out til the bitter end!!
Old 06-29-2009, 09:00 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 340/240/155

Height: 5'3"

Talking Woohoo!

I had a very good weigh in, and I am down 4.6 pounds. Although I don't know how, and it's just not water weight because I had maintained my previous weight for two weeks. But I am happy
Old 06-30-2009, 12:45 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 278/267.2/180

Hey all,

Where is everybody?

Joe-Anne! Good job!

This is my Friday and I'm glad. I decided to take tomorrow off as well as Thursday. I want to finish up those stupid projects that have been on my list this spring. Lots to do before friends come down on the 3rd. We've got our menu set and its going to be pretty healthy. I decided we'd do a variety of kabobs with lots of veggies, a salad and wild rice. They are church people so no alcohol!

I think I can feel the difference in my core area from the swim workouts. Last night it was 8 pm when I got in but I got in my half-hour. I tell DH to "horn" me when its been 30 minutes. Its an air-horn that we use when the dogs get too crazy and I can hear it from the outside so its kind of a handy communications device. I've even heard it when I was out riding. I got in some time with Spanky and I was a bit frustrated at him for being a lazy butt. But then I realize that its my fault he thinks he doesn't need to work at home because we haven't been doing enough work at home. I told DH that I have to saddle him up and at least do some groundwork with him even when it heats back up again. I also worked on trimming up the back yard. Sheesh, that had almost gotten out of control because I focus on the front where people see that! These friends plan on swimming so I'm working to get that looking decent instead of wild.

I tracked my food yesterday and today in my blog. I'm back to counting calories, fat and sugar. As I've said many times, it is necessary in order to maintain focus and accountability.

Better get my lunch in the microwave. A Healthy Choice frozen dinner.

to all!
Old 06-30-2009, 03:12 PM   #9  

Smile

Hi Terri and everyone else, Having a bad back day today. Seems like it is one thing after another lately. I am getting old and falling apart! No joke!

Just stopped in to say hello. Can't sit long at a time. XO to everyone, Ruth
Old 06-30-2009, 05:56 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 348.5/T/185

Height: 5'9"

Ruth - take care of yourself - we need you healthy!

Terri - today was my Friday too - and I didn't make it all day either - the vacation dance was mine. I'm in the same shape you are - we are having company Friday and Saturday - Friday will be maybe 30 and Saturday will be 12.

I'm excited (and a bit proud) to say the patio is complete and it doesn't look half bad for a first attempt. The quartz flagstone is beautiful. There was a time in the project I felt like I was working a puzzle with no idea of how it should look when completed.

Food has been a little challenging, especially over the weekend. Yesterday I was still over my self imposed 2000 calorie cap. Today I am faring better. The scale was up 2 pounds last WI and thinking back I am sure between the extreme exercise and a few bad choices (three I think) it was a well deserved elevation. The weekend will again prove to be a challenge - I'm working a plan for it now.

Saturday and Sunday I neglected to log my food - that won't happen again. It is such a crucial piece of my plan/accountability. I'm like a little kid - I don't like seeing the high caloric choices.

I did post a summer weigh in - it won't be a challenge as in the past - just a place to see the scale moving down week to week. This has been a useful tool for me - please feel free to post.

Have a great Tuesday!
Old 06-30-2009, 08:29 PM   #11  
BELIEVE!

Hey Gals!

I have just returned from a fabulous 6 days in Florida. Just me...kids and hubby stayed home. I was with my best girlfriend from college attending a sorority reunion Thur-Sat and spend Sun-this morning with my brother and his family. It was a blast. In a nutshell the weekend consisted of....favorite Irish Pub for eating and singing, 2 bar nights, bbq at the college, lots of laughs, walking on the beach, boating, tubing behind the boat, my first Harley ride....good times!

Food was OK the first few days and a little excessive the past 2 days. Tomorrow it's 100% back on track. Exercise was great. I hit the gym 3 times while I was gone and again today as soon as I returned. I will brave the scale tomorrow morning.

I didn't drink much while I was gone. I've started having allergic reactions when I drink. It's the strangest thing and I have to do some research and talk to my doctor. Within minutes of drinking anything Vodka based my face, neck & chest turn bright red and I get hot and itchy. Not just a little...a LOT! I had a little wine and beer with no immediate reaction....but some slight itchy redness. Anyone else experienced this?

I will have to catch up the threads. For now I have to go put my little guys to bed.

I'll log my exercise minutes later on.

Barb
Old 07-01-2009, 02:01 AM   #12  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

Hi there, pals. Today I tried to impress upon my kids the value of eating less food. Problem is, they're growing boys! Fortunately, I don't have any junk food in the house. They've both got my sort of metabolism, and they're quite chunky, even on less food. I am very close to making them wear my BodyBugg to see how little they burn while gaming.

The rigors of single parenting are getting me down now. I was feeling like a den mother today, cooking, cleaning, keeping up the house while the boys were having fun online or while gaming. Every time I engaged them to help me with chores, typical protests were voiced. I keep telling myself I have to get the inside of the house clean, and then I can work on the garage, and then I can go get the car serviced, and then I can file papers, and then I can go grocery shopping and then I can study. And then I can take care of myself. And I know if I keep going like this, I'll burn out. Some things will just have to fall through the cracks. The perfectionist buried deep within me is screaming at me for even entertaining that thought.

At least I'm too busy to overeat!

Georgia
Old 07-01-2009, 10:41 AM   #13  

Smile

Hi ladies, Things just keep getting better and better! LOL! I woke up this morning with a stiff neck and shoulder to go with my stiff back. ARRRGGGGHHH!

On the bright side my scale was down 1 1/4 lb. Of course it may be right back up tomorrow. It has a way of doing that to me lately. I won't weigh but every once in awhile. It causes me to react badly when it goes back up! I had a little bit of a slip up to. Those darn tomato sandwiches were calling my name.

Georgia, We can't do everything and do it well. Maybe if you just relax things will start to normalize. (is that a word?) Anyway, I am one of those people that like neatness and order, but I find the more I stress over it the more control I lose over it, so take a deep breath, enjoy your sons and let the dust lie where it will. It own't even matter a 100 yrs from now.

Barb, yep I get the rash from any strong drink, or did when I tried to drink years and years ago. Very allergic to it. Sure kept me on the straight and narrow. LOL!

Thank you GG, I am trying to take care of me. You just can't do anything about aging. Darn it!

Hello to the rest of the peeps. Val did you skip out again? Ta for now, XO Ruth
Old 07-02-2009, 08:40 AM   #14  

Hello ladies,
Life is so crazy here this summer. Hubby went to the dr on monday and all the new test came back normal. We are still working on getting his blood thinned out.Its a process! We are suppost to get a call and tell us when his heart cath will take place. We do know that he has some blockage..just unsure how much. He is still having chest pain and has to take nitro every few days. I am literally sleeping with one eye open all the time.
I am trying to eat right and do a good job most of the time. I lost .6last week. I still havent made it to the 100lb mark. Hubby isnt allowed to do any real exercise till after the heart cath. He is able to mow the yard but has to do it in sections.
I am truly scared to death...but I also know how lucky we are to still have him with us after the blood clots in the lung.
WE got the roof on the house and the guys should be back next week to start the painting process and replacing my post on the front porch. I cant wait to have my house finished. I really need to spend some time and do some deep cleaning inside next week.
I feel like I am just in survival mode right now....hugs to all
Old 07-02-2009, 10:13 AM   #15  
Vortex

S/C/G: 330/see ticker/???

Hi all, quick check in. I've been off line and off plan while moving my apartment. I'm all out of the old place and done cleaning there, but not fully unpacked in the new place. And unfortunately I just have to focus on work for a few days, b/c so many things have been on hold. And, my mom, who's currently two states away in Ohio, is in the hospital after having had some severe abdominal pain that's unexplained.

So, it's been chaos as usual. I haven't been OP, but I've been working hard. I finally weighed this morning, and my scale was even more erratic than usual, giving me three pretty different weights (301.5, 305, 304). So the good news is, at worst, i maintained. So today I try to get back on track and see if I can't break that barrier down into the 200s.

DG: Good thoughts and wishes going out to you!

Angela: Welcome! My real name is Angela too (and I'm also 42), but everyone here calls me Vortex. So I'll be looking every time anyone calls you

Ruth: Hope today's REALLY better!

Georgia: Sounds like things are settling down a bit for you. You deserve it

Last edited by Vortex_VVV; 07-02-2009 at 10:14 AM.
Closed Thread