Old 05-11-2009, 10:59 PM   #1  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

Default Health insurance for 300+?

I'm in the process of getting divorced. This was my husband's decision, and while I'm now happy to be rid of him, the changes to my life left in the wake of this are wide-spread and profound.

So, the latest thing revolves around health insurance. Up to now I've been covered under my husband's health insurance through work. But in three years, because of divorce, I will be on my own. And because I weigh over 300 lbs., I'll also be left high and dry without insurance at all.

Yes, I know that in the next three years I can lose the weight, but my experience has been that unless I am prepared to make seriously drastic changes to my life, in the midst of being a single mother of two teens, going to college, caring for aging and ailing parents, and type2 diabetes and PCOS. I've been losing one or two pounds a month over the last six months. Let's just assume I can keep that up for the next three years, I might just get to a weight where I'm 50% overweight, which seems to be the magic number I need to cross in order for insurance companies to even talk to me. Although my rates will still be high until I get under 200 lbs.

All I can do is work as hard as I can to lose the weight in the next three years. But if anyone has any advice in this situation, I'd love to hear it.

Georgia

Last edited by geoblewis; 05-11-2009 at 11:06 PM.
geoblewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 07:55 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 340/278/170

Height: 5'5"

Georgia,

First I'm so sorry to hear about your divorce. I hope you can now find the happiness you deserve and need. *HUGS*

Secondly, I was a bit surprised at my insurance experience. I went with the first tier, meaning the basic EPO Plus plan with Horizon Blue Cross of New Jersey. I couldn't afford anything more. I thought it was going to be a hassle to get insured because of my weight and health, but it wasn't. While I did know I had issues I didn't put them down as pre-existing because I hadn't gotten official diagnoses at the time. I did put down that I did have allergies, skin, and did notify them of that. However, to my surprise nothing was an issue for me. I was insured like that, no questions, nothing. I don't smoke, I don't use drugs, I haven't used drugs, I don't have diabetes, so, I think overall I was pretty low risk.

So, my point is you can get quotes online and then I would go to a broker to help you get insured. Because you have pre-existing issues, I bet you that will come into play, perhaps more than your weight. I could be wrong though, but a broker would help you sort out those issues. I didn't go through a broker because I just could afford the basics. I also didn't go through an online quote site as I heard bad things about them. So, I went right to the health insurance company and just got insured. I also read that the price/cost of the monthly payment could be higher if you are a higher risk and a broker negotiates with the insurance company. However, with my experience the price didn't change from all the quotes I saw online and in fact it was pretty standard. That could be because I didn't get anything more than an EPO Plus though.

I was below 300, but not by much obviously.

Last edited by Jacquie668; 05-12-2009 at 07:58 AM.
Jacquie668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 01:16 PM   #3  
Renaissance Woman

Thank you Jacquie. That's good advice, and I'm not so freaked-out about my future today. I've never heard about the broker before.

If continue to work hard, perhaps I'll drop my A1c down enough so that I'm no longer considered diabetic. I'm not on meds for it, or for anything else. And when my current insurance runs out, I'll have to change doctors, so perhaps I can start with a clean slate.

Georgia
Old 05-12-2009, 09:14 PM   #4  
Never want to go back!

S/C/G: 338.4/190.8/165

Height: 6 ft

My experience was a little different. I'm 6 ft tall and weighed 300 at the time I applied for insurance with Blue Cross and was told that my weight needed to be stable at 235 for 6 months before they would consider insuring me. The bummer was I had no other pre-existing conditions and had had Blue Cross of CA for 12 years prior with virtually no claims (I'm doctor phobic).

I do suggest an insurance broker though. You won't pay more and you have access to their vast knowledge of what's out there. Also, once you are turned down, you have to tell future companies you apply to that you were turned down. I would pay more to be insured because of my weight, so it's frustrating to just be told no. Currently I'm uninsured and it scares me!

Last edited by CLCSC145; 05-12-2009 at 09:15 PM.
CLCSC145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 09:31 PM   #5  
Renaissance Woman

I'm scared of being uninsured as well! I hope the health care system gets straightened out soon and I hope we can find a way to get everybody covered.

In the meantime, it's back to the grindstone for me. I don't want to be denied. It brings up all those old "this is going on your permanent record" feelings again.

Thanks for the info!

Georgia
Old 05-12-2009, 09:37 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 340/278/170

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLCSC145 View Post
My experience was a little different. I'm 6 ft tall and weighed 300 at the time I applied for insurance with Blue Cross and was told that my weight needed to be stable at 235 for 6 months before they would consider insuring me. The bummer was I had no other pre-existing conditions and had had Blue Cross of CA for 12 years prior with virtually no claims (I'm doctor phobic).

I do suggest an insurance broker though. You won't pay more and you have access to their vast knowledge of what's out there. Also, once you are turned down, you have to tell future companies you apply to that you were turned down. I would pay more to be insured because of my weight, so it's frustrating to just be told no. Currently I'm uninsured and it scares me!
Wow, I'm surprised, but maybe with my plan I choose, it wasn't taken into consideration. I mean it is the basic one, it isn't a fancy plan. I was surprised at how easy it was, but I think if I was going to get a plan that was more in-depth I would go through an agent for sure.

What surprised me was I had sent in my form and I got a call from HBSNJ saying that I didn't send the check in with it! I thought they had to approve you first then you paid lol.

As for the doctor phobia, I too had to deal with this, but I am much better now. I got lucky with a FAB family doctor and she was so nice and welcoming it just blew me away! I've had one cranky, horrible doctor since then, and an OBGYN who is a bit grumpy, but you know I am not afraid to go anymore. Bring it! Small steps!
Jacquie668 is offline   Reply With Quote