Closed Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 03:47 AM   #16  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

Angela, I like the idea of practicing what you're going to say. It's like an affirmation.

* I am a healthy woman and I make healthy food choices that support my wellness.
* I am a calorie-burning machine, and my engine burns clean fuels.
* I find solace and joy when I move my body with exercise.

I was recently talking about this with a friend, but regarding self-esteem in the face of divorce. My eating choices have been a reactive response to how I was feeling about myself. If I tell myself who I am, if I can believe that I am not someone who makes eating choices based on the mood of the moment, but rather, because I am a woman who healthfully experiences hunger and chooses food wisely to support health and strength, then my "reactions" in moments when I'm presented things like ice cream no longer become a moment of denying myself. They're redefined as a mere choice, and I don't want it, and I am not later feeling anything about my choice. I've moved on.

And suddenly, I'm emotionally free from the food!

My mother packs so much meaning into food and feeding people. If I don't eat at her house, she feels rejected. And she makes me feel responsible for not feeling loved, even when I am standing in front of her, feeling the love I have for her and I'm expressing it in so many other ways. Healthy ways.

I need to think about this one for a bit...turning food and eating back into what they are. And redefining myself as a whole, balanced, self-supportive woman, making choices with integrity, kindness and love, for myself.

Georgia
Old 05-13-2009, 08:24 AM   #17  

Height: 5'7"

Body is sore ...too much time spend with a hoe and rake yesterday. THe garden looks great but by the weekend it will need to be done again. We expanded our garden this year and the new area is challenge. THe older area we have used for a few years is pretty easy to keep under control. I did get to pick a few green onions yesterday...yummy!!
Ok...anyone know about eggplant?? We have 4 plants and I not even sure how big to let it get. This is a new plant for us and Im not even sure I like eggplant! Just wanted to try something different in the garden this year.
Calories are great, water is great and exercise was hard yesterday. Its so easy to just stop exercisng after taking a day off. I had to make myself walk yesterday.
Its raining here today so my exercise will have to be a dvd or the minitramp.
hugs to all
Old 05-13-2009, 11:14 AM   #18  
Renaissance Woman

DG, what kind of eggplant did you plant? There are different uses for the different kinds.

Georgia
Old 05-13-2009, 01:19 PM   #19  
aka Valerie

S/C/G: 350/345/195

Hi all! (Yup, I'm BACK... AGAIN!)

It's SO wonderful to see old friends still here!!! I tried to post yesterday, but of course I logged on just before they shut it down.

Last time I was here I told you about the new job, but then Jan-Feb I was working 80+ hours every week. After that things were still busy, but no where near as bad as it was during "Year End." Working those hours I didn't eat even CLOSE to right, or exercise either. The broken little bone in my ankle made another great excuse. So my weight went back up to 305. I've bumped the first 3 back off back to 302, but this is only the beginning.

I've been riding Gabriel more, and where the ankle used to KILL me when I started riding again, it now only aches a little while I'm up. That wonderful monster carries me around like a was nothin', but I still feel like a bowling ball balanced on a cannon ball.

This weekend is birthday # 49. I bet a few of you know exactly how I feel about hittting # 50 in this horrible condition. I'm just not going to do it. Life is getting shorter all by itself. I have to stop rushing it along and flushing it away. My first post back was on the exercise thread.... Who knows, maybe I'll do something worth posting over there again some day. LOL

LILION, I can believe your already talking about HARVESTING anything. We did have a little bit of volunteer lettuce come up, but it was re-tiled under and we've still only got 1/4 of the garden in. I want it to look more this year like the pics TERRI posted of her garden a year or so ago - Organized instead of wild!

Gosh, it's good to "see" you guys again!
Old 05-13-2009, 02:50 PM   #20  

Valerie - Not talking about it - doing it! I've picked so much lettuce I had to give it away - and I need to plant more. I've got more fresh spinach than I know what to do with and I cut my broccoli tops yesterday. Now the side shoots can develop for that second batch! I'll be cooking up my fresh broccoli tonight. YUM!

My little Suzie is at the vet and they don't know yet what's wrong. She couldn't keep her food down yesterday and this morning wouldn't eat. She's really dehydrated and they're running tests. So everyone send good vibes out to my little doggy-girl.

Gotta run!
Old 05-13-2009, 04:05 PM   #21  

Smile Greetings!

Hi there Val! Looks like you and I decided to visit on the same day. I tried to post yesterday and got that notice of the site down. Good luck on starting over...

Hi Lilion, you can send me some of that lettuce. LOL! I feel like a regular bunny already. Lots, and lots of greens. Do you remember the show with Archie Bunker or is that too far back? He told Edith "If your going to change, change already and get it over with." I couldn't help but think of that when I read some of the old post about menopause. That would be a mans view.

Hi Terri and everyone else, some of whom I don't know yet. I have been very absent but with good reasons. On the positive side I have lost weight during my absence. I started here at 319 lbs and now weigh in at 269. Got a long way to go, but I will get there, maybe before I die!! Said it before, say it again, the older you get the harder it is to get the weight to budge. It can be done. Lots and lots of greens.

I hope everyone is doing well, Take care....Ruth
Old 05-13-2009, 05:57 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

It's good to see "old" friends again!

Anyone have a good site for how to harvest things like broccoli and lettuce and brussel sprouts? I'm doing those in containers this year and have no idea when they are ready to pick or how to pick them so more grow in!!!
Old 05-14-2009, 02:15 AM   #23  
Renaissance Woman

Heather, I've grown leaf lettuce and have harvested the outer leaves as they have matured to the size I like, leaving the inner leaves to continue growing. Leaf lettuce will continue to grow more leaves until it gets hot enough for it to bolt and go to seed. At that time, a shoot will sprout up from the middle that has leaves growing up the sides and flowers at the top that produce the seeds. At that point, the leaves taste a little bitter, but sometimes that's okay when mixed with sweeter salad greens.

An article on when to pick broccoli.
An article on when to pick Brussels sprouts.

Welcome back Ruth. I'm new to the group, just since February, but I'm in the I-love-greens club with you! Dandelion, spinach and amaranth greens are my favorites, boiled, dressed with olive oil and lemon juice. Okay, I just made myself hungry again.

I'm sore all over tonight. Spent the day with the absolute final trip to the townhouse. I got myself the biggest U-Haul trailer they have, hooked it up to my car by myself (so glad I've been pumping weights!) and had the help of a couple of men to load furniture and boxes. I'm spending the night here and driving back home tomorrow. For tonight, I've already taken a couple of extra strength pain-relievers. All my joints are hurting. And yet, even after a very full day, I managed to walk half a mile to go get dinner.

And I had a vanilla shake for dessert.

Georgia
Old 05-14-2009, 07:05 AM   #24  

Default Att: Heather

Heather this new service is the pits! I hope they work out the kinks soon. I tried and tried to open the second page and it took me forever to get it to work. I had a lot of trouble getting the site to start with. Rant, rant! I am so used to the pages opening immediantly. Ruth
Old 05-14-2009, 07:24 AM   #25  

georgia- the tag says classic eggplant. I had to go and look. I am seeing new leaves on it now. DOes it get big like squash plants or does it grow more like a pepper plant? This is a new area for me but thought it would be fun to try something new. We are also doing cucumbers this year another new plant for me. Mom laughed when i told her I set out 4hills.She swears I will have cucumbers out my ears..if i do then I will just make pickles!! LOL

Heather- I am jealous of the lettuce.I didnt get my garden out in time to do that.I am loving my green onions though!

Ruth- glad your back with us.

Val- my daughter has a horse that stays at her boyfriends house.If they break up he gets cusody!!They are breaking it now!

Ok...for some reason I ate a bowl of cereal last night and it threw me over my calories for the day. NOt really sure why I ate it!! I wasnt stressed...I thought i was still hungry. I had also had some carbs yesterday and to me that proves that carbs trigger me to eat more carbs. So I will watch it close now.
We have storms this morning..I dont think we will ever get more than 3 dry days in a row. WE have rain thru till monday. Daughters college grad services were scheduled to be outside but now will be crammed into a gym. fun fun

hugs to all
Old 05-14-2009, 07:45 AM   #26  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Georgia -- Thanks for the veggie info. I had heard about taking the outer leaves from leaf lettuce (does that apply to romaine, too?) but not about the seed... I will check out the links!

Ruth-- I'm not sure what problems you're having, but I reported your post. What browser are you using?
Old 05-14-2009, 10:08 AM   #27  

Ruth! I'm so glad to see you again! I was just thinking about you the other day! I'm happy to hear about your loss while you were away! I've been here the whole time and I keep gaining. All in the Family - now there's a blast from the past. My parent's loved it but I hated it - I couldn't stand him and his mouth. But you're right, that would be a man's attitude to "the change". Heck, it's mine! I don't want to "go thru the change" - Just change already!

Heather, I can't add anything to Georgia's post, except if you have head lettuce it won't regrow so you just cut it and be done. I have cut all but two of my heads of buttercrunch and I need to get my Mesclun mix planted. I hadn't done heads before this, but I really liked it. I planted baby romaine last year, but it didn't do well. I do think you can take the outside leave off it and it will keep.

My broccoli was yummy last night! I think I overcooked it in the steamer, but I liked it just the same. It seemed to be more mild than what you get in the store. I'm looking forward to the side shoots getting big enough to pick. This week, one cauliflower bites the dust! Then I bite it!

I still have no word on my pup. Poor little Suz - the vet says she was in shock! Her temp was below normal, her capillary refill time really delayed, extremely dehydrated, which is odd, because it was worst than it should be and we keep water available all the time. But they've run a bunch of tests and keep ruling things out - but nothing is ruled in!

So...I need to work. Off I go!

Last edited by Lilion; 05-14-2009 at 10:10 AM.
Old 05-14-2009, 10:23 AM   #28  
Vortex

S/C/G: 330/see ticker/???

Well, yesterday I went and looked at this other rental that would provide us with something more like the space we need, and told my landlord I'd like to take it, and the woman in the rental office wouldn't let me go any later than July 1, so I have to move by July 1. ACK! 6 weeks might sound like a lot, but remember I'm planning to spend the next couple in Ohio with my mother.... then I have to come back, get this place packed up and moved, do all the other moving stuff, at the same time I'm supposed to be making daily revisions to a book! Ack!

It'll be okay. Somehow or other.

Lilion--Good thoughts going out to Suzie and to you.

Val! Yo! So good to see you. Are your hours down to something like normal?

Ruth! So good to see you, too.

Angela

Last edited by Vortex_VVV; 05-14-2009 at 10:24 AM.
Old 05-14-2009, 10:28 AM   #29  

*UPDATE* Just heard from the vet and Suzie is FINE today! Eating and bouncy and raring to go! I'm SO relieved! They have no idea what the problem was, but she seems to be doing just fine today and I can take her home after work. My baby is coming home!
Old 05-14-2009, 10:33 AM   #30  

S/C/G: 278/267.2/180

Hi ladies,

No time to post much. We have some exec's in this week and we're going to be doing dog and pony shows for them today and tomorrow. I'm really looking forward to Friday at 4:00.

I've got 3 days of keeping my calories between 1400-1600. The important thing is that I'm doing mindful eating and not thoughtless eating. Exercise has been so-so but I've been conscious of that and working in what I can as I need to get outside work done in between rain. But I knew this week would be hard so I mentally adjusted myself to focus first on the work stuff and then on just a few tasks after work.

The scale is being nice as a result.

Ruth and Val, its great to see you. More later!

to all!
Closed Thread