Over 300 with issues and needing help

You're on Page 1 of 3
Go to
  • Hi my name is Aggie,
    I have been here for a few weeks now and I love this site. Today I would like to share some issues that I have and help if anyone has the same problems or suggestions that may help me.
    I am 5 foot 3 and I weigh 331 pounds. I have lost weight since starting this journey, 27.8 pounds to be exact and am happy for this, but I still have some problems. I am pretty ashamed to ask but someone out there maybe can give be some advice. Being as short as I am, most of my weight is around my stomach and it hangs badly which means alot of my fat lays on my legs. I have such a problem with sweating which leads to other problems. Now that I am losing weight the skin is gettling flabby which makes we sweat. What can I do about it. I have a hard time bathing myself so my daughter, bless her heart tries her best to help me with that when my husband is not at home. (He is a trucker and is on the road alot). I know that I am a burden and I do not want to me. I hope that I am not making anyone sick, but I need help and answers. I use baby powder and that is only a bandaid on the situation because it does not last long and the pain sometimes is almost unbearable. Can anyone tell me what to do?

Aggie

All help appreciated
  • Hello Aggie,
    I"m 5 ft 2 and I'm at about 320 right now, what kind of excercises are you doing?
  • Hi Aggie,

I found the 100% corn starch baby powder works best. I certainly remember being so hot all the time! I'd be sweating and people were wearing sweaters.

Hugs to you and gratz on 27+ lbs!!!

Luv,
    Ratkitten
  • Welcome! I am the same body shape as you and totally understand what it is like. When I am having chafing and a rash then Vaseline works really well. If there is no rash I use something absorbent like cornstarch powder. I have been thinking about trying maybe foot powder too. To access the area, I have used a bathroom robe belt to pull back on my stomach when I am lying down. Usually, my mother, whom I live with it, helps out instead and applies the stuff while I pull it back.
    Wow that is a lot of TMI Hope that it was of some help to you. Congrats on your weight loss.
    Pennie.
  • Thank you all for your responseSweetcakes736, right now I am walking with the DVD Walk away the pounds but I am not consistent. Some evenings when I get home from work my legs are just to tried from standing all day. I have done the dvd twice and could only do 1/2 a mile. Hope to get better at it and more consistency with it. I cannot excercise without my support stockings on for I have , I know I will misspell this, lymphadema in my legs from a fall I had. I cannot always get them on by myself so that also limits me.

Ratkittem, I will try the cornstartch powder or maybe even pure cornstartch. So many times my skin is just raw and hurts to the touch and Lord know my underwear often makes it worse with the rubbing against it.

CatWuv, does vaseline really help the rash? I had not tried it because I thought it would just keep it moist. The bath robe belt sounds like a great tool to try. Now tell me CatWuv, what does TMI mean. I am so new at this computer talk, I don't know all the lingo yet. Help an old chick out (56) and just don't know. Will be awaiting your posts.

Thanks guys for the support and keep it coming. Love all of you much.
    Aggie
  • I didn't want it to get lost in my rambling post (below) so I edited and added it here on the top. I have another tip for the underwear elastic "wounds" besides just the zinc oxide cream - I buy the Just My Size brand undies at Walmart that are "boy cut" they're like shorts, so there is no elastic at the leg bottoms to rub in the leg crease. I was getting such bad chafing in the legs it felt like the elastic was trying to saw my legs off (and the undies weren't too small for me), and it would be really raw and painful (turns out the cornstarch I was using was making the situation worse as I explain below).

I have had skin issue due to the weight and autoimmune disease which was making me very prone to bacterial and yeast infections which was making the skin fold problem worse. My dermatologist recommended using Head and Shoulders shampoo as a face and body was (as well as a shampoo) or the generic equivalent (has to contain zinc pyrithione). The zinc kills bacterial and yeast infections. It's so amazing, my skin has never been better.

The dermatologist also told me that almost all powders, make skin fold problems worse (because no matter how fine the powder or how soft it feels, it's basically like tiny pieces of sand rubbing a wound more raw). Talcum is the most abrasive, and corn starch is a carbohydrate that yeasts and bacterias can feed on. She recommended zinc oxide cream (often sold with the first aid creams called "skin protectant cream", with sunscreens and tanning products, or in diaper rash creams - they're all the same cream and the diaper rash creams are often the cheapest).

I used to buy whatever was cheapest. And there's nothing wrong with that, but most of the zinc oxide creams are very greasy and very white. So if I had a flare on my face, I looked like a clown (I originally went to the dermatologist for an impetigo-like rash on my face from the yeast bacteria that causes dandruff - I didn't know you could get "dandruff" on your face - although calling the seborrheic dermatitis on my face dandruff, was like calling Godzilla a lizard, really yucky stuff, hubby calls it "face rot").

Any way, I found a clear zinc cream with the sunscreens that I use on my face now, and I buy Johnson's brand 3 in 1 diaper rash cream for everywhere else. It's not as greasy, easier to wash off, and can rub in. It still has a whitish cast, so I could use it on my face if I liked looking deathly pale (I will use it at night sometimes) I love this stuff as it's a miracle cure for almost all skin issues I have. It also seems to prevent sweating, or at least the chafing from sweating. After I wash and dry myself thoroughly after a shower, I will use the Johnson's just like any body lotion. Well not exactly like any lotion, as I don't rub it all over, just in the creases, and my feet (it's become my "cure" for any skin area that is burny, itchy, sweaty, rashed, chafed or mild skin burns and cuts.

It's even cleared up my rosacea (which may not have been rosacea at all, it might have been the seb derm).

I don't get itchy burny feet any more, because I use the Johnson's on my feet.

The skin on my face looks better than ever.

It prevents or treats underboob rash, and all "crease" and chafing areas.

It's sort of like my version of "windex" in the My Big Fat Greek Wedding movie. Any skin problem clears up so fast with topical zinc. I recommend it so much, you'd think I owned a zinc mine.
  • Hi Aggie

I've found that diaper rash cream is really good (only for when you have the rash, not as a preventative measure). I think that the rash is quite similar to diaper rash in that it is caused by damp skin that is being chafed and so diaper rash cream is well suited to treating it. The other thing that is good is called Body Glide, which is made for runners to stop their legs rubbing together etc. You can get it from sports shops or on the internet, it is a clear stick, quite like a stick deodorant and you just rub it where you tend to get the rash - also, because it is quite small you can take it in your purse and top up during a break from work if need be without risking getting talc on your clothes.

I always use talc after I've washed to make sure my skin is completely dry, but I don't like to rely on it soaking up moisture during the day as I find it dries out my skin and then the skin is even more vulnerable to being rubbed.

Another thing I've found helpful is to steer clear of panties that have elastic that has tiny loops around the edge - every other pair I look at has this. I have to make sure that I have smooth edged elastic and this has helped reduce the chafing.

Good luck with your weightloss!

Lillibeth
  • Thanks guys for all the advice, I will try them and pray they work for me.

Aggie
  • What about calendula cream? I haven't had any rash issues but my I know when my boys have bad yeast-y rashes in the diaper area, which is almost never dry, and very crease-y, the calendula cream is like a miracle cure. It's usually labelled as diaper rash cream but as well as of zinc it contains calendula. Just thought I'd throw it out there.
  • ps. "TMI" means "too much information"
  • I had these problems as well. I found that Desitin diaper rash cream, (or the generic equivalent) worked great for the under belly/breast areas. After I showered and washed well with a mild soap, I'd towel dry and then take my hair/blow dryer (cool setting) and dry under my stomach (and breast) until it was thoroughly dry. Then I'd apply a thin layer of the desitin. Worked great. I also found that breathable panty-liners changed frequently helped with moisture problems.

Congratulations on your loss so far! You will be amazed how you "cool down" as you continue on your journey. Last summer our A/C bill was about 1/3 what it was the year before, and I'm excited about this summer to see how much more we save. For the first time in years, I'm actually cold all the time, and wear several layers of clothing. For the last 3 winters, (before this one) I didn't have winter coat that fit, wouldn't buy one because I didn't need one. A sweater was all I wore during a cold Nebraska winter....Now I look like an Eskimo when I head out the door!
  • Kaplods, thanks for the tip on the zinc. I told my Mom to try it on her itchy ankles, and I will try it this summer for my rash under my boobs. I've never found an adequate solution for that, and had to give up wearing bras years ago.
  • That was great info ladies!!! Thanks Leeesa for bringing me into the 21st century, TMI, I'v got it now. Lori Bell, more great info, hair dryer great idea and will try that cream. What is really great, if the electric bill goes down my hubby will be so happy. I use to feel so sorry for him, poor baby thought he actually lived in the Artic thanks to me. Our bedroom was like a meat locker. LOL Check me out, LOL, the lingo, I am just getting so way cool. Do they still say that?
  • I have found a cure for that nasty rash.
    This works like a miracle OVERNIGHT.
    Get Aquaphor (like vaseline, but different). It comes in a tube or a jar.
    Apply that first on anyplace that there is a rash. Then use Malox (yes, Malox) and apply that in the same areas, rubbing it in the aquaphor. (Don't use mint, because it kind of stings). You will be shocked!!
    Works better than RX treatments. Works great on diaper rash too, in case you know anyone with babies!

Donna
  • First off WELCOME!

Secondly, I have some of these issues as well. I mean I have grey skin south of the border and a few issues there with raw skin and such. I can't seem to find anything to work lol, but that is mostly because of my limitations due to my allergies and such.

A few things I've noticed though and this probably is going to get a "me too" from everyone:

- The more weight I loose the better my skin gets

- The grey or dirty looking skin is getting better. I notice this every time I loose about 10 pounds. I look and things are just "better"

- Rashes are getting less and less. Now I'm dealing with scalp issues mostly, which are stable, but annoying. I believe it is a yeast thing anyhow. Even my down south issues are the same, candida related, which is common for us big gals. A few things I've been doing to help along that is cutting out vinegar as much as possible. Along with that, sugar and that includes corn, even raw. Starchy things as well. All of these can feed and produce candida overgrowth so I think dietary changes are key in the healing process.

- Powder can make things worse. If something is moist then I have found powder either feeds the area, rubs it more raw, or creates an icky paste. I only use powder when I have light issues. Like my bra rubbing on my skin, under my breasts, and making it a bit irritated. I use the new Gold Bond Healing powders and that works great and smells good. It is talc free, but I believe it is cornstarch based, which isn't ideal, but it works for the small stuff for me personally. I only use it under my boobs though, which have their own issues haha.

- The more I read and research, the more I am hearing that the cure all is Zinc lol. Even with scalp conditions. Zinc zinc zinc. That brings me to "Head and Shoulders" or shampoos that have Zinc based. I started using that as a body was, in a non-sensitive area that is south of the border, and the results are slow, but I'm starting to believe that it is doing something. Using it all over my body would be a no-no for me, but in select areas it is okay. I suggest trying it.

- Tea tree oil is good. I've been using that for a long time. It can cause an allergic reaction so make sure you test it on yourself first. However, it is a natural antiseptic, powerful, smells to high heaven, but the oil absorbs into the skin much differently than a cream. It also helps with itching. I put it on my scalp and it burns lightly for a bit, then the itching will stop for hours and hours. I love the stuff. I use it for cuts, some rashes, and more.