300+ And Getting Fit after 40 #197

You're on Page 2 of 3
Go to
  • Good Morning Ladies!
    Go Barb Go!

Got up early enough for my WO today. There's healthy food in the fridge. Hopefully all will go well this week and my WI will be okay.

Hope all are well - I'm too busy today to chat but I'll try to catch up in a day or two!
  • So far our winds are nothing like predicted(thank god).
    I am feeling under the weather.Sinus issues and now a stomach thingie.fun fun. Having a hard time eating when food doesnt taste good. All 3 kids had runny noses the end of last week and one had a stomach thing over the weekend. THe joys of catching what 2 yrs old have.LOL
    Barb_ congrats on being under 250!!!!

I pulled a tshirt out of my drawer and noticed how big it is on me now!!
  • Morning ladies,

What a February day! Looks like rain all day. At least no tornadoes. Anyone in our group have tornado weather last night? Hope everyone is okay.

I brought the Prevention article and will post more from it. I tried that yesterday and lost it all. I made it to the fitness center Monday night and did 30 minutes on the elliptical. I worked up the intentsity level to work a little hard for the same 30 minutes. Last night, I walked the dogs for 30 minutes. I noticed that I was able to walk much faster so I guess my legs are getting acclimated to the terrain.

I have a form issue on the elliptical. Unless I really concentrate, I find myself naturally going to the balls of my feet more than on the heels of my feet. Which makes the tendons along the bottom of my foot ache and also above the achielles area. I don't have this problem with walking. I'm not sure if its the foot pedal style or what. If I concentrate I can lead off with the right leg, push down with my heel, roll to the ball and then back up with my heel but then it doesn't work the same on the left leg. I do shift my weight from side to side. Too bad there's not someone at the center that really knows how to do it correctly.

Lilion - Great job on getting back on the IM. for a good WI on Saturday! I think you can change up your IM workouts and still benefit from the concepts of the Prevention article. And still doing your 20 minutes. So, you are not defeated from boosting your metabolism!

Barb - Is your oldest settling down to sleep again? I'm about to boot dogs out of the house because Dixie thinks she doesn't need to sleep at night either!!!

Carol - You are going to have such a great time on your cruise. Wish I were going with you!!

Debi - Hope you're feeling better soon!!

Better get busy. to all!
  • I did this in my blog this time!

Ultimate Over-40 Fat-Fighting Workout

Cardio - Walking, biking, elliptical, swimming, jogging

Three times a week - 30 minute interval fat blast - alternate 2-minute bursts of high-intensity activity with 2-minute bouts of moderate intensity

Three times a week - 20 minute steady cardio - after a five minute warm-up, exercise at a pace that keeps your heart rate in an aerobic zone (where you're breathing somewhat hard) for 12 minutes, then slow down your pace for 3 minutes to cool down.

One time a week - 60 minute endurance builder - warm up for 5 minutes, then increase to a moderate intensity for the rest of the workout.

Strength - dumbbell routine, circuit training

three times a week - 20 minute routine
    1. Step squat
    2. Plank row
    3. Wall sit arm curl
    4. ball chest press
    5. pendulum lunch (back step squat)

Cardio Tips -
    • Always warm-up - raising your body core temperature increases fat burning enzymes
    • Do at least 12 minutes - beyond the warm-up, continuously moderate to high-moderate activity most days a week
    • Commit to intervals - bursts of high-intensity increases fat burning capacity in the muscles
    • Devote 1 hour once a week- going longer gives you a big metabolic boost because your body has to reach into its reserves and expend a lot of energy replenshing its fuel stores ~ your body burns more calories
    • Swing your arms - bend your elbows at 90 degrees and pump your arms when you walk to speed up caloric burn

Strength tips -
    • break up your sets - do circuits instead of multipe sets of an exercise before moving on to the next exercise. Do three circuits of 8-12 reps as noted below.
    • grab the heavy dumbbells - do one circuit with weights where you can do 10-12 reps. Do circuits two and three with heavier weights where you can do only 8-10 reps.

Other tips
    • Work out with music
    • Take it outside - its harder to walk outside than on the treadmill ~ body works harder to burn more
    • Move more all day long - get up and pace when on the phone, get up and walk away from your desk more instead of relying on email, etc
  • Thanks for the article Terri. I'll have to remember that stuff and see what I can do to up the intensity.

Regading form on the IM - it's really hard to remember to keep your heels down. I have to concentrate on sucking in the belly, keeping the hips forward and keeping my shoulders down. That's about all I can say about it.

I just realized that the skirt I'm wearing today, that I bought on one of my shopping sprees a couple of weeks ago for that intervew, fits looser than it did when I bought it! So something has changed! I don't work tomorrow and will try to not sleep so late I don't get on the thing. I'm getting my hair cut and colored tomorrow - time for a change! Then taking the boy to get two more teeth pulled - the last for the braces - so I'll be busy, even with no work.

Back to work. "See" you ladies tomorrow!
  • Terri -- I find that I have the same problem on ellipticals -- EXCEPT for this one model from Precor. I don't know the model number, but something about the design keeps me on my heels. If your gym has different types of machines, you may want to give other ones a try...
  • Morning ladies,

Not much happening here. I'm going out to lunch with a fomer collegue. I'll make it a healthy lunch.

I've been looking at different ellipticals online and notice there is a big difference in the foot pedal positions. The one I have access to has a downward slant vs. another kind where the heel drops lower in the fully down position. That seems the best as that would be lengthening that muscles in the back of your leg and not always in a constricted state. Hmm, getting too scientific. I think I will have to experiment based on the machine.

Better get back at it. to all!
  • Just popping in to say HI!

I'll try to get back later....
  • Hi gang, I will be back to post when I am feeling better. Hope everyone is doing well. Ruth
  • Vacation time is here - we are both off today. I am finishing up laundry so we can pack. The pups bought gramma and grampa a valentine and some sugar free candy for staying here with them. House is nearly clean - now just time to get in the zone.

My food and exercise plans for the trip have been repeatedly played into my brain. I'm a little more concerned about the food part but they do offer a new healthy eating meal at night and I plan to choose it. Exercise is actually something I am looking forward to - I plan to be walking the ship deck each morning as the sun rises. This is a party boat I think so I will probably be the only one awake - this is a very spiritual time for me to watch the dawn break and celebrate life - not to mention getting a part of my exercise in for the day.

I've experienced some additional work stress that I let keep me from exercise last night. Terminations are not the easiest part of a job - this one involved a gun. I am still shaken. She has also threatened a personal lawsuit against me - I know the chances of that are slim but still eating at me. I have it handled intellectually but not so much emotionally at this point.

If I don't get a chance to get back here before we sail - take care of yourselves. I hope to come back lighter and brighter - this midwest winter pale face can use some glow from the sun and sea air. See you on the 24th.

Hugs,
    Carol
  • Carol, HAVE A GREAT TIME!!!! We will miss you!
  • Good grief Carol. You need this vacation. Have a great time and enjoy all the physical things you can do this time that you didn't before. Bon voyage!
  • Hey all! Just a quick pop-in!

Carol - Bon Voyage! Have a great time!

Yesterday was weird! I didn't work, so got my hair done and then took DS to the dentist to get his last 2 teeth pulled for the braces and all day I was thinking it was either Friday or Saturday. I kept thinking off all the things I was going to do today, like I wasn't going to WORK! But of course, here I am today.

Food was great yesterday, right up until the tupperware party I went to, that I then ate a metric ton of snacks. I did have 17 pts left, but I suspect I went over. Tonight DH and I are going out to dinner for V-Day, since he works tomorrow, so I brought a fairly low-point lunch...but all things considered, I doubt my WI tomorrow will be what I'd hoped because of the excesses in the past day and today. We'll see.

Hope all are having a good week. IT'S FRIDAY!
  • Carol - geesh...this vacation seems to be coming at a perfect time. Enjoy yourself! Sounds like you have a great plan for food and exercise. HAVE A BLAST!!!! Soak up a lil sun for the rest of us pale, cold northerners.

• Carol_ have an awesome time and RELAX!! and bring the warmer weather back to all of us!!

lilion_ we are going out to eat also..not sure why seeing how i cant even taste anything right now.I tried to talk hubby out of going tonight but he wouldnt hear of it!!! He just doesnt get that i want a good weigh in tommorow. Oh well...scales were back to my lowest today so maybe it wont be to bad! Have fun tonight!