Height: 5'10"

welcome!
valpal23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 12:43 AM   #47  
thin girl in me wants out

S/C/G: 193/189/132

Height: 5'4"

Hi Malissa,

You can do it! Don't let your family get you down, once they see you making progress, maybe it will give them a push to do it, too!
You have come to the right place for support and encouragement. You don't need to join a gym or spend a lot of money. Just focus on healthful foods, and any exercise like walking for 30 minutes or so 3 or 4 times a week will make more difference than you can imagine! It means cooking alot, but it will be so worth it.

gretchen1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 11:48 AM   #48  

Height: 5'8.5"

Hi Malissa

I am a bit slow in responding but see that you have gotten some great support here already so want to add in mine! You are off to a GREAT start and congrats on losing the 5.9 pounds! Way to go!

I tend to agree with Heather... you don't need a fad diet but rather just a healthful eating and exercise plan. And it does not have to be "dynamite" to start off with. As you can see here on the thread, different ones of us use different plans so I certainly don't want to discourage any of them as we all need to find what works for us. But I have found personally that eating a lot of whole foods -- fruits, veggies, non-processed foods, etc. -- is by far the most effective plan. Side benefit... people keep telling me how much my complexion has improved!

You asked about things to buy... you might want to consider a good pedometer. I recommend the higher quality Omron one -- costs about $40 but so worth it. Then you can begin to track how many steps per day you are walking. Walking is a great exercise especially to start out. If you have not been working out you may not be able to do much at first but that is okay... just do what you can. Also... if you have access to a pool that is a fantastic way to get a good workout, and since it is not weight bearing it is easier to do when you are heavier.

You are on your way... I am proud of you. Please come here often as we DO understand and we WILL support you!!!
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote