3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   300+ Club (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/300-club-124/)
-   -   300+ And Getting Fit after 40 #179 (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/300-club/153316-300-getting-fit-after-40-179-a.html)

Terri in MO 10-05-2008 06:01 PM

300+ And Getting Fit after 40 #179

This thread is a sub-set of the 300+ thread.

This group is for those dealing with the challenges of having a significant amount of weight to lose and being fit which becomes harder after age 40. If you're an old or new friend and not over 40 and feel this is the place to post, jump right in.

Terri in MO 10-05-2008 06:14 PM

Hi group,

Close enough to Monday to start a new thread. I just may start doing new threads on Sunday from now on.

Its been a gorgeous weekend. Absolutely my most favorite time of year.

Yesterday was a good day. I took Spanky over to the cousin's place to ride. DH stayed at home cause I am a woman who can pull a horse trailer. :D We had a good ride for two hours. Spanky is such a good horse but he does occassionally do silly young horse things. I wanted him to step up an embankment. Really with his long legs, it should have been no big deal for him to just step up. However, he decides that he must do a monumental leap and I wasn't prepared for it. Holy cow, I'm not sure how high in the air we were but it wasn't a little hop. Cindy turned around and asked if I was okay, grinned and said, "you're still in the saddle". Heck yeah! But not something I want to be repeating soon.

We had our church friends down in the evening. It was just such a fabulous evening to sit outsite on the front porch and visit. She and her daughter rode Spanky just a bit around the pasture (no embankments there) while her husband had fun on the four-wheeler. DH had made home-made spaghetti and meatballs while I was off riding. He found a recipe for baked meatballs and they were so yummy.

I have been a total slug today. I loved it. The house is still clean and I didn't feel a driving need to do anything else. So I enjoyed a day of leisure with no guilt. Its been a long time with the no guilt part. I don't think I've even been outside today. :o

DH and I decided that on the 15th we're headed down to Branson, MO for a few days. The 17th is our tenth anniversary and I got a wild hair that I wanted to spend it at Silver Dollar City. DH has never been there and I haven't been in maybe 10 years. However, the luster of that wild hair is a bit dimmed by the fact that tickets to SDC are $49 a piece. :yikes: Ridiculous. But we're going anyway because since he has his scooter, he wants to go. We will board the dogs and put out lots of hay for the horses and take off on a road trip. We're so excited. :yay:

Barb - :woohoo: for your continued success! I haven't checked out that site yet but will here in a bit.

Thin - Always great to see you checking in. Wish you had more time too to visit more often.

I seriously do need to move around more today and do some laundry or something.

:wave: to all!

BarbPA 10-05-2008 06:44 PM

Hi Again! :wave:

Terri - sounds like such a nice weekend. Bravo to DH on a good meal. I can't get my DH to cook anything but "drive-thru". :p Good job staying up on your horse. I have never been on a horse...it's one of the many things I want to do. Your anniversary plans sound great.

Bigmomma - 800 is not nearly enough!!!! My trainer put me on 1800 but we are seeing that most days I land in the 1500-1600 range. He doesn't want me going any lower than that. I find if I don't plan well I'm actually ending up a little short. Planning is my biggest thing! Good for you figuring it all out. I'm by no means an expert...although I want to become one. Just ask if you have any questions. :)

I had such a nice afternoon. Once I got the boys down for a nap (which they didn't actually end up taking) I headed to the gym and did 45 min of cardio, abs and stretching. After that I treated myself to a pedicure/manicure. The pedicure was heavenly. She massaged my legs and feet for a magnificently long time! When I got home DH wanted to discuss dinner. I had planned on tacos w/ ground turkey and he started rambling on about Domino's or Pizza Hut. Ugh. We ended up compromising with Subway - which made me happy because it was easier to have a healthy dinner while he sat there and ate his calorie-filled sub and cheetos. I asked him not to bring big bags of snack foods in the house so he decided to polish it off. :frypan: I pray that one of these days he decided to think about his health...which is not going in the right direction right now. I know better than anyone that he's not going to do it until he's ready.

Alright...now I'm just rambling but laundry and dishes are calling my name...not to mention baths for the boys...then I'll hopefully get to watch Desperate Housewives or Amazing Race.

Night Gals!
Barb ;)

sweetfelinity 10-05-2008 06:45 PM

Lazy day too..

I'm new here but thought I would join in the conversation =)

I've had a lazy day myself but there is much I should be doing! Kids are at their dads all weekend and sometimes I just love to relax and enjoy the quiet.

I used to love to ride horses, it's been so many years. My uncle was a breeder and rodeo guy for many years so we spent a lot of time on their farm in Crocker (MO) when I was younger.

It's been over 30 yrs since I've been to Silver Dollar City, I loved it when I was a kid! Especially all the old handcrafting they did. I could watch them forever.
Do they still do that? Make candles, soap, weaving, glassblowing? I dont know how much it has changed since Branson turned into a tourist trap.

I'd love to hear more about it, maybe take a drive with the kids sometime and spend the weekend there. It's only 4-5 hrs from me.

I hope you have a great time on your anniversary!

Cassie

bigmomma 10-05-2008 08:37 PM

Wholly crap, I messed up!!! Oh, I soooo worried about not eating enough, only getting in 800cals. so I had peanut butter, lots of protein I figure and some avocado and cottage cheese. Now I'm way over on calories. I have to learn to find a middle ground. Well I guess I'm done with food for today:(

but I can't give up or give in, tomorrow's another day :).

BarbPA 10-05-2008 10:26 PM

Don't get frustrated bigmomma. We are all here for support and encouragement and there is a great deal of knowledge around here!
:hug:

Heather 10-05-2008 11:20 PM

Hi ladies!

I kind of like the idea of starting the thread Sunday. I have more time on the weekends sometimes.

Tonight I'm watching the Red Sox and hoping they will win tonight!

Regarding links to other sites -- we've loosened up the rules considerably these days and fewer links are removed. There was one site that was kind of rude to us and we didn't allow links to them, but that's been removed. If a site does have some of the same functions as 3fc, the link may be removed. We also remove links when people are trying to sell things, and sometimes for a lot of self-promotion. These rules are often relaxed somewhat for existing members (compared to brand new people, who might be joining for that purpose)...

If you ever have any questions about any of this just pm me. If I don't know the answer, I'll find out!

Iwillbe 10-06-2008 04:14 AM

Good morning girlies, How are you today?

I am still trying to work out a new eating plan that doesn't involve a lot of meat. I love meat! Probably the reason I got the gout in my toe though. LOL! I have a feeling I am now getting too many carbs, Carbs are not my friend, love them and they love my hips. As in straight from the mouth to the butt!;) Ah me!

Welcome to the newbies!:wave:

Hi thin, :wave:

I have been thinking about joining weight watchers on line. Does anyone else do that? And if so, how do you like it? I am a weight watcher from way back. I was on the really strict plan they had ages ago. I lost 109 lbs on it in 11 months. Wow! Now how the heck did I let myself regain all of that? Yo yo, yo yo! That was a lot of hard work just to blow it all. Not once but a couple of times over the years.

Well, onward and downward hopefully. I just have to get this eating thing worked out. I have talked to my Dr. about it and she said well you can't quit eating, that is for sure. I hope she can help me figure it out.

Well chickies it is early and now I am sleepy! I couldn't stay asleep last night for some reason, so I got up and made coffee and played games on the computer. Think I will go see if I can catch some zzzzzzs now. Have a good healthy day. Ta!:wave: Ruth

Terri in MO 10-06-2008 12:11 PM

Hi group,

Welcome to a new week! I have not had enough coffee or allergy medicine to be able to see clearly yet this morning. :dizzy: I'm having trouble getting focused here at work.

I am really struggling with being able to get out of bed early enough these days. I'm not getting much morning exercise or studying done. I need to be doing stretching and stuff in the morning to be unkinking the back and neck. My Dixie alarm clock hasn't been very reliable these days. Used to be she'd start barking when she heard the alarm for about the third time.

I have my workout clothese in the car for a trip to the fitness center on the way home tonight. After that, dinner, time with DH, will be study time.

Ruth - I used to use WW Online and I really liked it. My only issue was making myself remember to sit down and log it all in. I have that issue whether its paper, Fitday, Calorie King or WW. I start out good at the beginning of the week and fizzle by the weekend. However, it does have good tools and recipes. Go for it!

More replies later. :wave: to all!

bigmomma 10-06-2008 03:19 PM

Here's hoping I do better on my calories today. Yesterday I ended up with a little over 2400, wwwaaaaayyyy to many,eeks!!!
I need to get some serious exercise in today as tomorrow is my weigh in, I hope I have least lost something in the past week. I will soo sad if I didn't:(

Ok, now for the pep talk.
We're going to have a good week aren't we? YES!!! We're going to get our exercise in every day right? YES!!! We're going to eat healthy, YES WE ARE!!! We are going to LOVE ourselves and take good care of ourselves, RIGHT?? YES, YES, YES!!!!!

Now that you're all reved up, lets go get this week with all the gusto we can muster up:)

Sending everyone much love:):)

Terri in MO 10-06-2008 10:03 PM

I've logged my food into Calorie King like a good girl. I had a great workout at the fitness center. 30 minutes on the treadmill doing C25K intervals. I'm working towards my goal of doing all jogging segments at 4 mph before moving on to week two. I did three of the last segments at 4 mph. I finished off with 15 minutes on the elliptical. Those last four minutes were killer.

Question for you calorie counters. If your daily intake is 1600 a day, is that net of exercise or literally, eating only 1600 calories without counting exercise?

Bigmomma - Awareness is half the battle. Hope you did better today and have a good weigh-in tomorrow. :crossed:

I am so ready to go to bed. I need to study though and need to put the doggies to bed. Too bad I can't trust them to let them not sleep in the crates. I'm hemhawing about 3 going to the kennel or 3 to the front porch. Front porch is easier for me. Maybe I need to see about the possibilities of rain tonight. See, I need to go to bed because I'm blathering.

:wave: to all!

BarbPA 10-06-2008 10:17 PM

Hi Gals! :wave:

I'm happy to report another great day of food, exercise and good attitude! ;) I was in a computer training class all day and felt a little stir crazy, even though I enjoyed the content (Adobe Photoshop). It was great to get to the gym and work out. I worked out with yet another new trainer (they are really trying to get the staff figured out). I'm ok with it. I still have my main trainer...he just can't do all the sessions. This was a younger girl who is studying sports medicine. I think she'll do great. I did 45 min with her and then 30 min of cardio. Now I'm doing a little internet surfing before going to collapse in bed. :faint:

Heather - Thanks for the clarification. I didn't want to break any rules. :stir:

Ruth - Hi! :) I did WW online for a short time with a friend. This was before my head was totally back on track. It was ok for me. I like the website and tools they provided. I personally prefer to use Fitday to track everything...but that's just me. I know plenty of people who love WW. You have to find what works for you.

Terri - Great job on the workout and logging your calories! :D As for the calories...I don't factor exercise into it. I do log my exercise in Fitday as well, but I don't change my calories based on exercise.

Bigmomma - How'd ya end up on calories today? Plan and track...that's the best advice I can give. :hug: YES! This is going to be a great week for us all!

I think I'm going to call it a day. Sweet Dreams to all! :cloud9:

bigmomma 10-06-2008 11:20 PM

You guys are the best:cp:. Thanks for all the encouragement:D

I don't remember who asked, but the way I count calories is just to tally up my intake of food. I don't tally used calories as in exercise, activities and such.

Two of my sons will be having surgery tomorrow to have their wisdom teeth removed. When I go to the pharmacy to fill their scrips I will weigh myself. I'll be keeping you posted.

Didn't eat enough again. Your right, planning is the biggest part of any plan, IMHO. So I will surely be working on that to get some balance. See ya'll in the morning:cool:

Iwillbe 10-07-2008 07:29 AM

Good morning ladies, A really lovely cool morning. time to grab the old :coffee: and head to the breezeway, though it may be too cool for that. I love it!

I am taking a wee break from cleaning my hardwood floors. What a job! Now if DH doesn't remove his shoes outside.....:club:

Terri and Barb, thanks for sharing your thoughts on WW. I know the WW plan is one of the best around. Meetings are better, but we live in this Po-dunk town with no meetings close by.

Terri, I count calories (sometimes, LOL!) and I don't deduct any for exercise. Mainly because the exercise does'nt get done on a regular basis.

Barb, I have a fitday account but I don't use it. I know I should. Maybe I will check it out again. :)

Bigmomma, 800 calories? Wow that is a small amount. I can eat that at one meal. LOL! :p I hope things go well for your boys at the dentist. Ouchie.

Well ladies, I think it is time for me to go back to work now. I have more guest coming this next weekend and I can't leave everything to do at the last minute. I am too slow for that. I can remember when I could do my whole house in one day. SIGH! Yeah, and I have another birthday coming up next month....Groan....course it is better than the alternative. HUH?

Take care, Love Ya bunches as our Thin always said.:love:

Lilion 10-07-2008 01:55 PM

Good Afternoon Ladies!

Well, it's been a while since I posted and I have a long story to tell, but first!

:welcome: to all the new people! This is a great spot for inspiration.

Terri - When I did calorie counting, I did just calories without figuring in exercise. WW is pretty much the same way. You count just points, without exercise. Although you get more if you do exercise.

Ruth - I was a WW online member for years. I only started being a member and going to meetings recently. I lost all the weight on-line only.

And now my story:

I am home today. After having cardiac catheterization (sp) yesterday. I'm fine. Really, truly fine. But it was quite the wake up call.

Friday I wasn't feeling well. Aching in my chest and center back between the sholders all day. A friend recently sent me an email about the symptoms of heart attack in woman. #1 - an aching pain in the chest and between the sholders. Finally, I thought I'd go to the ER. I really thought they'd take my BP and run an EKG and send me home. They didn't. They insisted I stay and have a stess test Saturday. I was NOT happy. :( We had plans for the weekend. But - I stayed. Saturday they did the stress test. (BOY am I out of shape - that treadmill about killed me!) I was SURE they'd come back and say "Go home! You're fine." They didn't. They said it was abnormal and I had to have a cardiac cath on Monday. Scared the **** out of me. So, Monday morning they did the cath. And it was fine. No blockages at all. Seems about 5% of stress test results are wrong. They sent me home at 3 p.m. yesterday, but I have to take a week off work, that I can ill afford to take.

BUT - it scared me. Needless to say, I'm planning on getting way more serious about diet and exercise . I say "plan" on getting serious, because I'm just starving today. I think the cardiac diet at the hospital drained all flavor from their food. :lol: DH says I'm healing and my body needs more energy. I think I'm just being a pig. I'm eating fairly healthy, but just too much. But I'm giving myself a day or two to recover and then I'm back on track food-wise completely. Needless to say, I quit smoking as of Friday night.

So - that's my story. I overreacted to what apparently was a backache that wrapped around into my chest and ended up in the hospital for three days. On the up side, I have learned that #1 - my arteries are fine and dandy and my heart is strong. #2 - my heart arrythmia, that is quite pronounced usually, goes away with exercise so I needn't worry about that. And #3 - not to overreact. :lol:

Hope everyone elses weekend was better than mine!