Old 09-03-2008, 09:51 PM   #1  
femgineer

Height: 5'-11"

Default getting started...again

Hi, folks!
I have been on and off this site several time over the last couple of years. Each time, I start strong and then I give up. So, I'm back again to give it another shot.

I reached a new high a few weeks ago when I stepped on the scale and it read 343 pounds. I never thought of myself as fat. (I used to joke that I was the opposite of anorexic because I could look in the mirror and totally not see how big I was getting.) My doctor had me go through the tests for gastric bypass, but I'm really scared and would rather try to lose it the hard way. What pushed me, too, was that I realized I was getting winded going up two flights of stairs. So, I'm getting started...again.

Today is day three of my mm-teenth try at losing weight. I have an exercise buddy who signed us up to walk 100 miles in a month (we've done 12.5 so far). We're only three days into the walking routine, but I'm already feeling better, so that's a plus, but it's still a struggle to get out there every day.

So, now I'm looking for a diet buddy or at least a support system that doesn't involve 90-pound elliptical-addicts. To be honest, I am absolutely an emotional overeater. I eat when I'm not hungry for all the wrong reasons (stress, anger, boredom, etc) and then I eat WAY too much (entire bags of chips, large pizzas, etc).

I did weight watchers about a year ago and had some success, but I stopped going when I plateaued at just above 300. I was thinking about trying WW again, but doing it on my own. Is anyone in here (in the 300+ department) doing WW and having any luck? How about any other plans that are working?

I would be grateful for any tips, suggestions, and/or advice. Thank you!
femgineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 10:17 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 270/252.0/150

Height: 5'7

femgineer, I hear ya sister. I know just what you're saying.

How AWESOME that you've started a walking program and even have a buddy to do it with AND you've already walked 12.5 miles. That's GREAT!

I've tried and tried losing weight too. I think this will be our time to succeed. We can do it!

There's a special section here just for WW. You might want to check it out. And there's so much support and advice and such inspiring stories here too.

Wishing you all the best.
Kelleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 10:38 PM   #3  
Made of Starstuff

Hey there & Back!

I began using WW at 331 pounds... 100 lbs later & I'm still going to meetings regardless of my weigh-in results. Let me say, though, that it certainly isn't luck. It's hard work.

I have to suggest the meetings. Yes, the WW plan works, but honestly, a core part of the plan is the support group in person. One of the reasons why it works so well for me is that atmosphere.

That being said, there are plenty of "At-Homers" down in the WW section under Diet Central. And there's a tight knit of WW support down there for you if you decide WW is the way you wanna go!

Remember to learn from the past, and to always, always keep going. Even if you happen upon a plateau this time.

Last edited by Lovely; 09-03-2008 at 10:39 PM.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 07:59 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 354/252/180

Height: 5'5

Welcome back and glad you're here!

I'm new here too and everyone on 3FC has been great. You will get lots of support and inspiration for the stores and people here!

Good luck!
texscrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 12:24 PM   #5  
femgineer

Height: 5'-11"

Thank you SO much for the encouragement! I hope that I'll be successful this time around!! I'm ready for the hard work and I think I'm pretty grounded in the realization that it's not going to happen overnight...I didn't put it all on that fast (it just seems like I did).
femgineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 12:30 PM   #6  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Welcome!

Remember, failure is not falling down, failure is staying down. Yes you may feel like you are trying yet again, but we can certainly understand how much courage that takes.

My suggestion is make small changes and reach for smaller goals. Small changes and small goals add up to big changes and big accomplishments over time. I'd suggest finding an eating plan that you can see yourself following for the long term and start with some exercise (such as walking) if you haven't already.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 09:47 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 351/286/140

Height: 5'6"

We all have started and stopped and started again..just know we are here for ya!!
azcyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 02:22 AM   #8  
Reclaiming control!

S/C/G: 337/siggy/185

Height: 5'11

Hello femgineer,

I can definitely relate! I too, am REstarting my weight loss journey, I too have hit my new all-time high, and I too am an emotional eater!

As nelie mentioned, failure is not falling down it is staying down. thank you so much for that. Femgineer, we are NOT failures! You can do it, I know you can!!! And you will be so proud of yourself when you get there! You can go back to that doctor, look them in their face, and tell them what they can do with that gastric bypass (I by no means, have anything against it btw). You opted for hard work, and you will get a MAJOR reward when you stick with it!

I wish you all the best, and I hope to get to know you more.
MyBodyisMyTemple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 08:52 AM   #9  
Keepin' on...

S/C/G: 350/208/150

Height: 5'4"

Hi femgineer!

I, too, know how it feels to just be getting started (again). It's so defeating to know how many times I've failed in the past. I question MYSELF on what will make this time different, let alone what friends and family must be thinking. But WHATEVER, we haven't surrendered yet, have we!!!!

I think what will be different for me this time is the exercising, so keep up on that walking program! It sounds AWESOME!!! We can do it!!!

Isn't it fun to talk to others who can eat whole bags of chips and large pizzas and still be looking for something else after THAT? Lots of these gals can really relate, and that's so helpful! We all have to just find our own way to work it out.

For me, I think I have finally found an eating program that I find simple enough and fulfilling enough to keep up with. I have been seeing a dietician, and she uses the exchange program. Basically you get a certain amount of starches/fats/protein/fruits/veggies/dairy to play with daily based on the rough amount of calories you are looking for. You can probably find out a lot about it on the internet if you are interested. I LOVE it!

Take care, and talk nicely to yourself. We are brave and wonderful to be making a fresh start!!!!
shannonmb is offline   Reply With Quote