Old 06-11-2008, 01:25 PM   #16  
Wannabe Health Nut!

S/C/G: 228/ticker/128

Height: 5"4

I eat tuna and soy beans (edamame) for snacks. They are high protein, and if you cook your own edamame from frozen bags they don't have much salt at all. The tuna salt content varies but you can find lower sodium ones. I, too, have difficulty finding low carb/low sodium snacks that aren't FULL of salt. I've never had jerky and I'm not really interested in trying it. Dairy revs up my appetite, I've found, so I try to keep away from that too, usually. Good luck on finding some appropriate snacks!

That being said, I also "feel" you on the slow weight loss.. Mine is coming off a lot slower than I'd like. I only eat about 1,100 cals/day or less, with only about 1/3 coming from carbs and the rest is all "clean" food like fresh fish, tinned tuna, fresh boneless, skinless chicken breast, veggies, protein-packed legumes and some nuts.. According to the doctor and 'thedailyplate', I should be losing about 3lbs a week even if I just sit on my butt, but it's less than that.. I don't know.. When I did the same thing at 19yrs old, it came off a **** of a lot faster than it does now at 25.. Gotta' keep on truckin' though! We'll get there! 23lbs is an awesome weight loss! Keep the faith and you will arrive as many at 3FC will attest. (just check out the before/afters.. some were blessed with a fat loss and others had more of a struggle - but whatever happens, that struggle builds character!)

P.S. Sometimes we have personal "triggers" that stop us from losing weight.. Some people have latent allergies to dairy or wheat or soy and they can prevent loss. Other people, like me, are "sensitive" to artificial sugars that can prevent weight loss in them but not in others. (I have a really slow loss with fake-o sweeteners!) I also find that refined carbs like white bread, sweets, anything sugary, pastas, etc. prompt me to feel MORE hungry and EAT more and then feel LESS satisfied. Maybe if you try to cut them out (at least most of them), that will make dieting and making healthy choices a lot easier. What I'm trying to say.. Maybe you're eating something "innocent" (which could be innocent to OTHERS) that is slowing and/or preventing your weight loss and/or triggering bingers/increased appetite! Wishing you best of luck!

Last edited by LittleMissMotivation; 06-11-2008 at 01:29 PM.
LittleMissMotivation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 01:44 PM   #17  
loving my beautiful self

Height: 5'5"

Congratulations on losing 23 pounds, Heather!!! I understand it may not feel like much in light of your goals and where you would like to be with that number, but it truly is fabulous!!! And another great thing is that since you've lost 23 pounds, you know that whatever you are doing IS working!

You mentioned that you eat a lot of carbs, and I am wondering what kind of carbs they are? I echo Mandalinn's point about the type of foods we eat. I tend to eat non-processed foods - a whole foods kind of lifestyle, and I'm not sure whether it has a better effect on my weight loss than if I ate processed foods with the same amount of calories. However, I feel better about myself. I feel healthier, I feel much more energetic, and I feel like I am taking better care of myself. It makes me feel good about myself, and feeling energetic also makes me feel strong - it's an UNBEATABLE feeling. For example, if I eat white bread or white rice, I literally feel rather unwell - tired and sluggish, and it toys with my appetite sometimes, which definitely is not cool I find that it's about more than the calories and fat - it's also the type of food we're putting in our bodies that can make a difference.

Best of luck to you! Keep up the great work!

Last edited by beautifulone; 06-11-2008 at 01:45 PM.
beautifulone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 02:57 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 319/238/160

Height: 5' 6"

I have found this time around I am eating much much cleaner. I have kicked renied sugar and carbs to the curb...along with artificial sweeteners.

After some soul searching about the whens, whats, and whys I eat I had to step up and face reality. If I think I can make 100 calorie portions and artificially sweetened food a regualr part of my life that is just like an alcoholic claiming to be recovered and only drink beer rather than hard alcohol. I think of those foods as "gateway" foods. Foods that give you a false sense of "safety".

High protien snacks....how about 1-2 ounce of roasted turkey (or chicken) breast. If the pre packaged stuff is too salty for you, buy a turkey breast and roast your own then freeze it in 2 ounce portions. I buy natural peanut and almond butter with no sugar or salt added...or sometimes I even make my own. Someone mentioned edamame, it makes a great snack all by itself.

I have grown up on artificial sweeteners and been overweight most of my life. So I did my own little study. I have found if I avoid artifical sweeteners like the plague I do not have cravings...none. I feel more alert and and just healthier over all.

My snacks always include a carb unit (about 15 grams of carbs) and a protien unit (about 7 grams of protien). My carbs are whole grains and fresh (or frozen) fruit. This keeps me statisfied and helps keep the blood sugar from spiking.

Most importantly a 23 pound loss is a great loss!!! Slow and steady wins the race!! Don't give up!!! ALSO...you have maintained that loss along even if you do feel discouraged and maintaining is the toughest part!!! Stick around here there is lots of encouragment and support!!
KateB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 04:44 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 376/319/170

Height: 5'2

My problem is that I'm so confused, I don't know what's causing the slowness. I go through periods of steady 1.5 pound losses and week and then I might have 3 weeks where I gain. I recently had a mysterious week where I was up a pound each day. I lost most of it but I'm still a bit over a pound away from getting back to my low. I didn't do anything so I can't figure it out.

I don't like most veggies.. carrots, corn, lettuce are about it. I like fruits but I always thought they were high in sugar and calories. I can't even get organic produce around here. We live in a rural area. I feel like I'm eating so much better but still... not good enough. I do like to eat a piece of homemade bread with lunch and we eat pasta 1-2 times a week. I use splenda in my tea so.. I feel like I'm not going to be left with much if I cut all that out. The whole weight loss thing has me crabby today.
heather_dw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 05:09 PM   #20  
prepare for the BEST time

when you exercise, your muscles may retain water...this is a TEMPORARY situation, you don't *stop* losing.

perhaps, you focus too much on the scale, have you considered sticking it in the closet for a month? use a tape measure or one pair of jeans to gauge your losses.

fruit is low in calories , but has NATURAL sugar (i eat it in the AMs)...carrots and corn are not your best options and white pasta and bread aren't as good as the whole grain varieties. and what do you put on the pasta?

do you like a baked sweet potato with the dry butter sprinkles? broiled portobello mushrooms with steak sauce are a favorite of mine....asperagus? grilled seasoned eggplant ? there are a lot of options to try, check out some cooking websites.
best of luck to you, you ARE making progress.
marbleflys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 05:19 PM   #21  

The exercise thing though, it stopped for 3 weeks. It was insane. When I stopped, it started losing again. I tried exercise again a few months later and had the same results. It was the weirdest thing.

I like sweet potatoes but every time I try making them at home, they never turn out. I've thought about the wheat pasta, but hubby sees it and goes "ew, I don't want to buy that". The closest I can get him to whole wheat is the "Barilla plus". I make the bread myself because commercial bread is too salty. I've tried making homemade wheat bread but that never turns out. It's always hard and the loaf is all tiny and nasty. When we make pasta, we put the heart healthy Prego sauce and ground turkey on it
Old 06-11-2008, 07:30 PM   #22  

Quote:
Originally Posted by heather_dw View Post
The exercise thing though, it stopped for 3 weeks. It was insane. When I stopped, it started losing again. I tried exercise again a few months later and had the same results. It was the weirdest thing.
First, be aware the scale lies 80% of the month. Things that can cause the scale to show high include: sodium, hormones, carbs (yes), and I call it, mystery x (things I have no clue about) someone told me humidity can cause water weight to throw off the scale as you aren't sweating off water like you should.

So when you think that you didn't lose because you stopped exercise, you have no idea if that was a true connection or not. It could have been something else you could have been retaining water.

Second, I have recently heard that protein has the highest thermogenic effect of any food. If you eat 100 cals of protein; you burn 30 calories digesting it. If you eat 100 cals of simple carbs or fats (which are easily digestible) you burn off 1 calorie digesting it. Think about that. You change your calories from 60% carbs to 40% and add more protein, you could burn off 100 cals more a day just digesting. Instead of those 100 calorie snacks, why not have nuts, which are full of protein?
AnnRue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 07:33 PM   #23  

I LOVE nuts. I love almonds and unsalted peanuts. I was always scared away by the fat content.

I just looked at Fitday and my calories ended up being low at 1530(we had chicken ), 24% fat (where the heck did that all come from..LOL), carb 60%, Protein 15% and water of 112oz.

Last edited by heather_dw; 06-11-2008 at 07:36 PM.
Old 06-11-2008, 10:31 PM   #24  
On the Path

S/C/G: 400/280/150

It sounds like you might be a bit more hopeful now, but I just wanted to throw my personal "Don't give up" into the ring.

I've been watching what I eat and exercising consistently since January, and I've lost a grand total of 10 lbs. While I have some complicating issues, such as a thyroid which seems to refuse to be regulated), I am so incredibly frustrated by the scale numbers.

But I'm feeling much better, I'm losing size (although painfully slowly as well), and I'm overall much, much healthier than I was in January.

Like someone pointed out, this is a "for life," thing. Don't give up.
EarthShaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 10:32 PM   #25  

S/C/G: 348.5/T/185

Height: 5'9"

Heather - first let me tell you that you look fantastic - the changes are amazing since I last saw you. Secondly - my weight loss has dramatically slowed since I have started exercising - BUT - the benefits of the exercise far outweigh my frustration with the speed of the loss. Stay the course - you can do it! And - as already mentioned many times over - get rid of the 100 calorie packs of processed foods except for a rare treat!
gggirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 10:51 PM   #26  

Thanks!
It's a bummer that I have to lose the tasty 100 cals. However, I go grocery shopping tomorrow and this is what I want to get

1: Salad greens (usually get that anyways)
2: Granny Smith Apples
3: Sweet potatoes
4: extra package of lean chicken breast
5: eggs (or egg whites in a carton)
6:Protein bars

I really don't want to give up sugar free gum and sugar free Jello.
Old 06-11-2008, 11:12 PM   #27  

S/C/G: 348.5/T/185

Height: 5'9"

Heather - how about cooking your own fresh chicken breast rather than pre-cooked that are loaded with sodium? It tastes sooooooo much better too. What about canteloupe, sugar free jello, light fat free yogurt? Fresh carrots or broccoli in a steam fresh bag? Summer is a time of wonderful fruits and veggies - zucchini are coming on strong - what a nice treat. Try it!
gggirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 09:59 AM   #28  

For chicken, we usually get the pre-rimmed raw breast cuts and then grill them on either the george foreman grill or bake in the oven. Yum yum
Old 06-12-2008, 01:17 PM   #29  
prepare for the BEST time

Hi Heather;

I confess that I *hate* wheat bread (so I use rye) and wheat pasta...there is a white pasta out there with mucho fiber and calcium (maybe made by ronzoni) the name escapes me but i can see the box in my closet.....somewhere.

I just bake the sweet potatoes in the miccrowave after cutting slits in them, i(ts kind of hard to screw them up for me).

the steam-fresh bags are fantastic! I even take them to work with veggies.I'm a BIG fan of the those 60 calorie pudding snacks and Twister protein bars. the 60 calorie yogurts, starwberries, kiwi, grapefruit in the little single containers (fridge section)...

i'm 2 (maybe 3) steps removed from becoming typeII so I try to eat low glycemic...Edie's sugar-free ice-cream vanilla is more than OK. I have to fight for every ounce I lose and it is so flipping difficult.

Your ticker shows much more than 23 lbs....so you have made amazing progress! go for the weights, hide that scale.
marbleflys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 01:56 PM   #30  
KLK
Karen: La Cicciona

S/C/G: Sz 24-26 / Sz 12-14 / Sz 6-8

Height: 5' 4"

THAT is some interesting information!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnRue View Post

Second, I have recently heard that protein has the highest thermogenic effect of any food. If you eat 100 cals of protein; you burn 30 calories digesting it. If you eat 100 cals of simple carbs or fats (which are easily digestible) you burn off 1 calorie digesting it. Think about that. You change your calories from 60% carbs to 40% and add more protein, you could burn off 100 cals more a day just digesting. Instead of those 100 calorie snacks, why not have nuts, which are full of protein?
KLK is offline   Reply With Quote