Old 01-09-2008, 11:59 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 342/180

Height: 5'6"

Default Counting Calories like Biggest Loser

Okay I am going to ask a stupid question, so hear goes……Does counting calories really work for dieting. After watching the Biggest Loser last night, it seems to me that they really count calories to lose weight. I am currently doing WW and there is no counting of calories just points. I am also trying to look at it from a healthy approach…..Its not a diet, it s lifestyle change, but come on we all want to see results fast. I am so afraid if I don’t see some results fast, that I may give up like I usually do. I have to do it this time!!!!! What keeps you motivated??
gapeach342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 12:24 PM   #2  
Observer of Phenomena

Height: 5' 4"

Hi Peach - this isn't a stupid question at all. I don't know how they do it on the Biggest Loser, but calorie counting definitely does work. However, you do have to "really count", as you say. That means reading labels carefully and weighing and measuring your food. And no tricks, like heaping tablespoons instead of level - this requires being honest with yourself!

As far as needing fast results, well, I'm sorry to tell you that fast results don't last. If you're in it for the long haul you'll have to get used to slow and steady. Give it some time, and in a few weeks or months when you start noticing real changes, you'll be motivated to stick with it.

Good work getting started!
3Beans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 12:25 PM   #3  
ZeusMeatball

S/C/G: 534/309/275

Height: 6'4''

I don't know about others but My motivation comes from my daughter, she moves non stop (shes 2 and a half) she demands that daddy play with her and she has that right! so by me being heavier than I should be I am taking something fundamental away from her because I can't keep up, and thats just not fair. I honestly don't care what my weight is because I will be heavier than all of the calculators (and docs) in the world say, I should be as I have a large build (thanks to lifting weights for years) and I am just about 6'5'' tall, so I am going to go off of how I feel/look more than my actual weight. my perfect weight for my height says 152 to 202 or something like that and there is no way I could be 202 never mind 152 . My brother is the same height as me and weighs 215 and is a beanpole.

another motivator for me is fear. I started researching a WLS and scared myself. so unlike other attempts to lose weight this time it is a decision to do it and once I decide something it stays that way.

My advice would be to go off of how you feel and know that you are eating healthier and remember most things that are worth it take time. most of all keep at it and just take it slow and steady and know that it WILL happen in time.

What ever you do don't give up! no one ever got anything by giving up! if you need to chat or unload, feel free to shoot me a message, but do not give up.

As Ever
Me
Botzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 12:34 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 351/ticker/175

Height: 5'9"

YES!! Calorie counting definitely works. I'm living proof. I started last April and am down 50 pounds so far. I've stalled during the holidays, but that was because I wanted to. I had lost that 50 in 6 months!!
You DO have to count every bite, every ounce, every drop of EVERYTHING!!
There is no fooling around with, well I think this is a 1/2 cup, you have to measure. It's very strict, but well worth it to me. I've tried every diet there is pretty much, and this seems to work for me.
Hope this helps
Debbie
Debbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 12:57 PM   #5  

Yup, counting calories works! WW points is counting calories, but supposedly easier to keep tract of. Basically 1 WW point = 50 calories. Then they do this strange formula for a one time subtraction of 1 point if there is 4g of fiber or addition of 1 point if there is a lot of fat. You can Google the formula for WW points online if you are a geek like me and curious.

One of the pitfalls of WW points is that you can 1 point yourself to death. See, there are snacks that are 1 point, but 100 calories because there is 4g of fiber in them. So one serving = 1 point. BUT, the fiber subtraction is one time.. so 2 servings eaten at once = 3 points. People who 1 point themselves to death don't take in account that the fiber subtraction is just once. WW is based on a balanced healthy diet. They don't want you to sit down and eat a box of one point snacks. They base their diet success on variety and a balance of nutrition. WW doesn't take into account the people like me who obsess on one food type or who are picky eaters. One of the baby steps I am trying to implement is to add variety to my diet.

My motivation? It varies from day to day. Ultimately, I want to be "normal" and not stared at like a freak. My daily motivation comes from my peeps here...if you can do it, so can I!!

Hugs and Luv,
Ratkitten

Last edited by Ratkitten; 01-09-2008 at 12:58 PM. Reason: Motivations!!
Ratkitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 01:04 PM   #6  
Simply Filling Technique

Smile You are not alone

We ALL would like to go to sleep tonight and wake up thin tomorrow but that is a WISH and an UNREALISTIC FANTASY.

Only you know how and why you arrived at the place you are today. You can NOT do anything about the choices you made yesterday BUT you can do something about the choices you make TODAY.

First things first: TELL YOURSELF THAT THIS TIME IS DIFFERENT.

Then, do NOT ALLOW yourself to get discouraged no matter how slow you lose or how stalled (yes, it will happen) you may get or how many times.

Consider this the first day of kindergarten. Consider the day you have lost weight as high school graduation. Maintenance is taking that degree you have EARNED and going out in the big old world!

This is a journey and it is not a short day trip. It might take you across the street or around the world, euphemistically speaking. Who knows? So, keep an open mind that is willing to look at this as an "adventure".

Then, share with us what you learned along the way.

We're in this together.

Last edited by pamatga; 01-09-2008 at 01:05 PM.
pamatga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 01:30 PM   #7  
Johnnie

S/C/G: 390/291.8/??

Height: 5'1"

I must admit I watched Biggest Loser last night for the first time ever. I wouldn't watch before because I thought I knew I would feel guilty for not doing anything about my weight while watching those people be successful. It was easier to watch another program and have a snack.

Counting calories is definitely working for me also. I started at the end of August and as of today I have lost 55 lbs. I've found that daily logging of ALL calories has really helped. And yes you must be honest with yourself and carefully weigh and measure everything. I didn't do that at first, just estimated and when I did start to weigh and measure I found I don't estimate nearly as well as I thought.

And yes, as much as I would like to lose it faster, I've been on many "fast" diets lost 100+ lbs quickly, but put it back on just as quickly. When I did those diets always in my head was the idea that once I finished I could go back to eating "regular" food. It's taken me a long time, but I think I've finally accepted the fact that I can never again eat the way I have in the past, so I'm trying my best to think and refer to this as a lifestyle change, rather than a diet. My motivation comes mainly from thinking about all the things I can't do and what I'm missing in life because of my weight.

Here's a thought to help you with your motivation .... Believe me you do not want to be 57 years old like me and be regretting all the wasted years of missed activities, relationships, jobs, etc. due to being too heavy.

Good luck to you & here's some for you.
texarkgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 03:17 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 381/tracker/175

Height: 5'9

I decided to count calories because it is what I feel like I can do and still have a life. I have been doing it for a week and lost 9 pounds. I didn't move my tracker because when it went up over the holidays I didn't move it up! But as of today I am officially where my tracker is which feels good. I also have to count every single calorie or I get out of control and eat too many.As for motivation I think everyones is different. For me we are trying to get pregnant and I would like to be able to go to a firstob appt without breaking the doctors scale! Also I want to be healthy for my baby when I have one. Maybe if you found mini goal motivators you would feel better. Also logging on here and having everyones support makes a world of difference!
AmbieP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 04:04 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 330/ticker/192

Height: 5'10

I have lost 63 lbs. so far by calorie counting. It definitely does work, and for me, it is the best system. WW is a variation on calorie counting.

I eat a range of calories averaging to around 2000 calories a day, which gives lots of room for variety and some treats. My weight loss has slowed down, so I'll probably be shifting the cals down by 100 or so. But my goal is to keep them as high as possible and still lose weight. My program therefore looks a lot like it will in maintenance.

As I have learned on this site, motivation comes and goes, but commitment is long term. Some days I am on fire with motivation and some days I really don't wanna, but I remember my promise and commitment to my health, and it helps me stay with the program. This program is for the rest of my life, so I can't rely on motivation or a very low calorie or restrictive diet.
BattleAx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 04:31 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 342/180

Thanks for all of the GREAT ADVISE. It really does help just to read what everyone says. Yesterday was my 1st day here at 3FC. I am already loving it.

I WILL AND CAN DO IT THIS TIME!!!!
gapeach342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 06:21 PM   #11  
Nancy

S/C/G: 353/T/168

Height: 5'3"

Regarding the fast results - sure we would all love fast results. But ultimately you need to do what you can and what you can stick with. It has taken me two years to get where I am. If I had given up because of slow results I might not have lost any of the weight. So which is better - fast weight loss that doesn't happen or slow that does? There are people who do an amazing job at losing weight fast, but you don't have to be one of those people to lose weight. Figure out what works for you and what you can stick with. Give WW a try. If it works and you like it, stick with it. If not you can always try something else.
NotTheCheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 06:32 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

I lost over 100 pounds counting calories AND I am keeping the weight off! For me it is all about maintenance! A program that helps me lose but isn't sustainable is not helpful to me.

And while I didn't lose the weight as fast as they do on TBL, I was consistent and usually made good choices and lost the first 100 pounds in 55 weeks. When your wardrobe changes every few months because your clothes are too big, that's still pretty fast!!!

Welcome and good luck!

Last edited by Heather; 01-09-2008 at 06:32 PM.
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 08:57 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 351/286/140

I have not started yet..UGH...but when I do i will count calories. I had done this before and it was amazing to see exactly what I was putting in my mouth. I am one of those mindless eaters so counting calories made me take notice.

I have a question about TBL..how in the world do they loose 6 or 8 lbs a week????? And is that even healthy??? I only caught the show here and there last time but this time I am watching it.
azcyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 09:51 AM   #14  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

I use an exchange based plan, but it is still "counting." Each exchange has approximately the same number of calories. There are some plans that don't require counting, and some people find them effective, but for me, if I'm not monitoring my intake in some way, I tend to put the weight back on. I had a doctor tell me once that I could lose a good deal of weight just by giving up "desserts and sweets." I could tell he didn't quite believe me when I told him I rarely eat desserts and sweets, or even fast food. I like real food, and just can eat too much of anything if the opportunity arises and I'm not paying attention. If you put on all of your weight because of sweets, I suppose you could lose weight just by giving them up.

If what you're doing is working, there's no need to fix it. If you think something wil work better for you, don't be afraid to try that.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 10:19 AM   #15  
Nancy

S/C/G: 353/T/168

Height: 5'3"

Cyn - On TBL they workout something like 6 hours a day to create huge calorie deficits. They have trainers, nutritionists, doctors and loads of other people there to make sure they are ok. It is most definitely not real world weight loss.
NotTheCheat is offline   Reply With Quote