Closed Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 09:05 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 278/267.2/180

Height: 5'7"

Default 300+ and Gettin' Fit after 40 #122

This thread is a sub-set of the 300+ thread.

This group is for those dealing with the challenges of having a significant amount of weight to lose and being fit which becomes harder after age 40. If you're an old or new friend and not over 40 and feel this is the place to post, jump right in.

We start new threads on a Monday.
Old 09-03-2007, 09:08 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 278/267.2/180

Height: 5'7"

Morning gals.

I thought I'd get back to starting new threads on Mondays again. I noticed that the two thread groups are exactly 1000 threads difference.

Not much new. All the animals are fed and doing well. Time to get my butt moving. Too much left to do for the last day of the weekend.

Ta ta!
Old 09-03-2007, 10:53 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Thanks Terri!

I'm celebrating Labor Day by... Laboring. I'm at work! Though, it took me forever to get here as I forgot to account for the fact that my commute (okay, it's 2 miles) took me straight through the parade route!
Old 09-03-2007, 11:35 AM   #4  
aka Valerie

S/C/G: 350/345/195

Ha, Heather - Most of the parades I've seen over the last 10 years were because they were between me and where I was trying to go. I even caught one down during Mardi Gras back in '96.

Just popping in this morning. I haven't taken any of my pills in the last 2 days, and I better get back on them. My friend Barb (that lives with us) is going to a family picnic this p.m. and she left a cake on the counter while her beans are baking, then she left the room.
...A cake. A meer 8 feet away. Just me and the cake here. O Lord give me... a knife. A knife and a napkin and....
NoNONOnOnoNO - I better go buy some apples to go with my peanut butter and some more sugar free popcycles. Besides, that cake has that nasty lard-y gross icing - bluck!

OK, I'll take the doggy boyz to the state park and walk, then I'll go buy some good stuff. Heather - plan on seeing me on the Exer-thread later.
Old 09-03-2007, 12:46 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 344/271.6/150

Hi all - I'm Barb (but I don't leave cake on the table...) and I am new. I am over 50 and on my way down from 300+. I have been struggling lately - eating a lot, not gaining, but not losing and I have so much to lose. I am hoping that joining this new community will help me renew my commitment to my health.

Barb
Old 09-03-2007, 01:10 PM   #6  
Xan
serial rejoiner

S/C/G: 296/264/160

Height: 5' 8"

Hello! I'm Xan and I'm New Again I think this must be the 20th time I've restarted since first joining this board when it was new. I was last here a year ago, started great guns (as always) and had some health issues almost immediately that I allowed to push me off track. I'm back 8 pounds heavier than I left, which is slightly high for my yearly gains (which is how I got above 300 pounds).

I'm a teacher and writer, and it's probably stupid to try to start as the school year starts, but the schedule makes it easier for me to be disciplined. I look forward to meeting all of you. (And a special hello to Heather -- you've reached goal whilst I've been gone. Hooray!!)

Last edited by Xan; 09-03-2007 at 01:13 PM.
Old 09-03-2007, 01:20 PM   #7  

Valerie -- I'm sure the cake has maggots in it too and you REALLY don't want to go down that road. You know what the sugar will do to you! RESIST!

Barb -- Welcome This really is a great place!

Xan -- Welcome back! I wondered what happened! I hope you're feeling better now.

The free flowing summer schedule really can be a problem! I bet you've started classes already? Or maybe tomorrow? We start the 10th, but I'm in today working on syllabi. I love this time of year when the course is all perfect -- because it's in my head -- and I can think of all kinds of fun things to do!

I gained weight too -- about 8 pounds this spring. And I still haven't got all of it off. I am not as focused on my eating as I had been. The good news is that in general I am eating healthy -- just too much of it.

Angela -- How's your term going? There's several of us academics here!
Old 09-03-2007, 01:48 PM   #8  
Xan
serial rejoiner

S/C/G: 296/264/160

Height: 5' 8"

I like the idea of thinking of sugar as maggots! New Health Alert from the FDA: sugar is maggots, or teensy tinesy baby maggot eggs We must NOT eat sugar, not just because it's killing us and making us huge, but because if we saw it under a microscope it would revolt us!!! (disclaimer for those who skim: this is NOT true. But with a little imagination, I could believe it's true!)

Heather, I know exactly what you mean about the course being perfect in your head. I'm teaching two courses I've never taught before this year, and I know I'll have to change things as I go along and so the past three months work is for (almost) nothing, but that's the way it goes. We start back the 10th too -- I'm catching up on last minute things, and I am determined to walk 20 minutes a day this week, even if it's just up and down the halls of my apartment. (Wouldn't it be wonderful if typing on message boards burned calories?)

Welcome, Barb -- we're starting at the same time and very close to the same place, so let's egg each other on!!
Old 09-03-2007, 02:10 PM   #9  

Just breezing through to log exercise and to say hi. Will do personals later!

Welcome Xan and Barb!

If you have a spare hour and high speed internet google Charlie Rose and Obesity and watch his round table discussion on the topic. Quite interesting.
Old 09-03-2007, 03:09 PM   #10  

Sorry I haven't read the posts, but I'm just beat and thought I'd pop in to the thread for a minute and post.

It's been a very L-O-N-G and hard and boring weekend. Saturday and Sunday I had a garage sale for my friend who's moving. And when I say I had the sale I mean me - she almost did nothing. But then I told her to stay home and pack. I didn't mind doing it really, but this weekend was supposed to be for ME and instead I moved heavy furniture and sat in a hot garage and gave her $380 for furniture I bought from her - mostly because I knew how bad she needed to sell it.

Speaking of which, anyone know how to get the smell of rotten food out of a freezer? She has a huge deep-freeze that the power got cut to and meat and ice cream and liver and other grossness went bad in it. It was horrifyingly rank. Of course, I'm the one who ended up cleaning it. So far I've used pinesol, nature's miracle, two bags of charcoal and baking soda in it. (the charcoal and soda in bags to absorb order) but it still reeks and if I don't sell it in another couple of weeks I'm going to be paying for it - because in my stupidity I told her I'd buy it for $300 before I'd let her take less - of course, that was before I knew it stank to high heaven. Any and all ideas are welcome.

Food? Don't get me started. FATTENING! Need I say more?

Today I'm just beat and wanted to sit and veg. Instead I need to do laundry, shampoo carpet and her furniture so my own dogs won't tinkle on it to mark it because she also had dogs and cats. I'm delaying the inevitable by posting.

I'm going to miss my friend. I'm glad she's almost gone. How's that for a contradiction. She's leaving on my birthday - some gift. And I still have to try to sell her freezer and one of her cars. And I'm still co-signer on another car - the one she's taking with her. So I could get so sc#@wed!. We'll see.
Old 09-03-2007, 03:29 PM   #11  

Lilion! Wow, all kinds of emotions there... I hope you get everything worked out!

My best friend and colleague left here a couple of months ago. I've been in a kind of denial about it... we'll see how I do when the school year starts...
Old 09-03-2007, 04:38 PM   #12  

Lillon,

About the freezer. ... I had that happen to me. I tried EVERYTHING!

Ammonia, baking soda, balled up newspapers, lemon, vinegar, pinesol, charcoal bags, lava rock bags, special odor reducing sprays, sunlight... ugh.

My family called it the Dead Body smell. What happened is the smell got into the lid styrofoam. The cure was to take apart the lid, replace the gasket and put new styrofoam insulation in it. Voila.. just like new. It was the only thing that worked. It's not a big deal to get new styrofoam for the inside and a new gasket.

Good luck with that!! Sorry you didn't have a relaxing weekend.

Luv,
Ratkity
Old 09-03-2007, 05:13 PM   #13  

Lilion - try leaving dishes of cat litter in there with it closed for a few days. Also be sure and scrub the coils and all of the hidden parts of the freezer with lysol. That should do the trick.

Lilion and Heather - I can sympathize with you about best friends leaving. Mine moved out to Washington state earlier this summer. I miss her so much!!

Barb - why fritofeet? Is it because you have a puppy whose feet smell like fritos (all puppy feet do!)

Valerie- how was the park? Good thing you walked away from the cake. That lard frosting in nasty Can you get Honey Crisp apples where you are? They are SO good. The best apple ever.

Xan - what kind of writing do you do?

Terri - how are all of the puppies?

Hello to all the rest of you ladies - Ruth, Angela and hopefully I didn't miss anyone! Hope your weekend was a bang-up end to summer!

We've been painting and doing yard work and all of that. It's the painting job that just won't end. Did back to school shopping for kid number three. I always wait until Labor Day and then the stores are a zoo and are out of stuff. You'd think I'd learn!

I was reading a book called "Eat to Live" by Dr. Joel Furhman and he said in there that if fat at the waist or hips is biopsied they can tell WHERE the fat came from - if it was pig fat or beef fat or whatever. I haven't looked at all of the studies he cited in his book, so I don't know if it is actually true or hyperbole, but the whole idea really grosses me out for some reason. Next time fast food is beckoning me I'll just think of that!

I've been OP and sticking with the exercise this weekend. I'm coming to the point where I have fallen down in the past, so, kicks in the fanny are welcome. I lose steam with the ever-increasing darkness - I should live at the equator. I've lost enough that I am feeling pretty good and start with the - "Oh one bite won't hurt" nonsense.
Old 09-03-2007, 05:57 PM   #14  
Hang In There

Hey, anyone remember me???

I though I would stop by and see what was going on will all of you.

Ruth, I'm sorry to hear about your mother. It has been two years today since my mother died. Some days it seem just like yesterday, and some days it feels like it's been many more. Then last year Alvin's sister died. Seems like the Labor Day holiday has not been kind to us the last few years.

But today has been a good day. Alvin and I are both on vacation this week, with nothing special planned.

Things have finally settled down for us. We are finally getting our live back together since closing our business. My job is still as much of a circus as always, and Alvin's is going fine.

I haven't been to the health club in months and months. I have to make a decision. Either I have to start going again, or quit paying for it. But even though I'm not going, I can't seem to cut the ties. Hopefully that is a good thing and I'll get my act together and get back. As far as eating goes, I've been eating everything in site, and If it wasn't in sight, I'd go hunt it. Again, I know I have to get back to healthy eating and loosing weight, but ... what can I say.

I guess I'd better run now, I will try to get back again sooner next time, but not making any promises.
Old 09-03-2007, 10:57 PM   #15  

Barbara!!! I'm so GLAD to see you back! I'd been wondering about you! It's nice to hear that you life seems to be getting on track and I hope you come back and see us all soon!
Closed Thread