Old 08-05-2007, 08:19 PM   #1  
Beyonce got NOTHIN on me

S/C/G: 180/ticker/127ish?

Height: 5'4.5"

Default Okay this is off topic... any country music fans out there?

Sorry to be starting a thread that has NOTHING to do with weight loss, I just value your opinions ladies and I have to ask:

I was always kind of neutral about country music in the past (didn't love it but didn't hate it either), but I'm really enjoying it lately. I have virtually NO country music in my collection, but I'd like to start building it up... any suggestions? Again, I don't really have anything to start with, so even suggestions of songs that may seem obvious (ie really famous ones) would be appreciated.

Thanks!
bodyTOObootylicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 09:03 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Some artists you might want to check out, TimMcGraw,Martina McBride,Reba McIntire,Keith Urban,Brooks and Dunn,Brad Paisley,LeeAnn Womack,they all have had big records, try googling them by name to see some of their titles.
One I really like is " I Hope You Dance" by LeeAnn Womack.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 09:18 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 195/see ticker/145

Height: 5'7

I enjoy along with the people that she listed: Trace Adkins, Josh Turner (i absolutely love his voice), Kenny Chesney, Rascall Flatts, Sara Evans, Toby Keith, SheDaisy.......those are some of my favorites
Rhighlan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 09:59 PM   #4  
Because I deserve it!

S/C/G: 315.4/311/165

Height: 5'11"

You should also check out some classic country in addition to the more currenlty popular "pop country". Johnny Cash, Willie Nelson, Patsy Cline....
Xena2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 10:05 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 357/see tracker/150

Height: 5'2"

Garth Brooks has some really good songs out too. Some other artists who aren't on the charts right now are: The Dixie Chicks, Randy Travis, Aaron Tippin, Chris Cagle, Deana Carter, Wynona, The Judds, etc.

Alan Jackson, Big and Rich, Blake Shelton, Carrie Underwood, Dierks Bentley, Emerson Drive, Faith Hill, George Strait, and Gretchen Wilson--these are people who are pretty much on the charts and getting a lot of radio airplay right now and they're pretty good.

My list could go on and on, but I am getting kind of tired right now. If you want to know certain songs I can answer you tomorrow. I know that I really like Brad Paisley and Toby Keith a lot--someone else mentioned them. They have some songs that are so funny and then they have some that are just so beautiful. Like Brad Paisley has "Ticks" which to me is hysterical, and then he also has "He Didn't Have To Be" which is so beautiful about a step-father that it makes me cry.
dolfingirl2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 10:20 PM   #6  

S/C/G: tight 26/26/14

Under-rated Billy Ray Cyrus is worth a listen to as well. Just avoid the achey breaky heart and listen to his songs that didn't make the air waves. Joe Nichols "The Impossible" is a great song, I love Brad Paisley, but can't stand "Ticks" it was ok the fist 900000000 times it got played, but as with everything the dj's over did it. Another funny song from the early 90s is "Bubba Shot the Juke Box" I think it's by Tracy Byrd, but would have to check to be sure.
balloonlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 11:50 PM   #7  
learning to live

S/C/G: 443/270/200

Height: 5'0"

I haven't had a chance to go through the other posts, so if some of these are repeats, my apologies. These are some of the people/bands I listen to. If you want specific songs, please let me know. I have about 3 days worth of country songs.

George Strait (favorite ever)
Garth Brooks
Tim McGraw
Lonestar
Black Shelton
Emerson Drive
Montgomery Gentry
Freddy Fender
Conway Twitty
Reba McEntire
Faith Hill
Martina McBride
Trisha Yearwood
Patsy Cline
Loretta Lynn
Trick Pony

And if you need more, I'd be happy to give you another list.
brandnewme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 11:58 PM   #8  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xena2005 View Post
You should also check out some classic country in addition to the more currenlty popular "pop country". Johnny Cash, Willie Nelson, Patsy Cline....
This is the correct answer

J/k, but seriously, check out the oldies (Dolly, Reba, Patsy, Loretta Lynn, etc...) and don't forget to sample some bluegrass while you're at it. Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, Allison Krause and even Nickel Creek comes to mind.

I was NOT a country music listener (also very neutral) until I interned at the grammys in Nashville this summer. Talk about an education!

I also like Little Big Town, Brad Paisley, and even Carrie Underwood, Faith Hill, The Dixie Chicks...
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 04:28 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 375/ticker/275

Height: 5'7.5"

Not sure if these have been listed yet, but I'm just naming some of my favs. I was BIG into country in the 90's, so a lot of my favorite artists are from then.

John Michael Montgomery
Garth Brooks
Alison Krauss
Deana Carter
Faith Hill
Mary Chapin Carpenter
Wynonna Judd
Jo Dee Messina
LeAnn Rimes
Le Ann Womack
Martina McBride
Reba McEntire
Shania Twain
Trisha Yearwood
Mindy McCready
Alan Jackson
Clint Black
Toby Keith

There are many more, but you get the idea.
MarinePrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 08:42 AM   #10  

I don't like much new country music, but the old stuff is great -

Patsy Cline, Johnny Cash, Hank Williams (Senior, not junior), Willie Nelson, Waylon Jennings,

If you like country, you also might like blue grass Earl Scruggs, Flatt and Scruggs, Dolly Parton, Alison Krauss, Bill Monroe, Ralph Stanley, NIckel Creek, The Carter Family, Emmylou Harris. Some of these people also sing Country, I like their Bluegrass better. I think Allison Krauss has one of the most beautiful voices of any female singer regardless of genre.
luja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 09:53 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Patsy Cline has been mentioned IMO the BEST female country music singer , ever.Sadly her career was cut short when she was killed in a plane crash. I still hear her on the radio from time to time.I think you should be able to get some of her records.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 01:15 AM   #12  
300+ Chick

American Idol- Carrie Underwood
Shaina Twain- I think she is country and and have her cds.
Lehann Rhimes- Just have 2 cds from her.
Liliann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 09:31 AM   #13  
Becoming myself

S/C/G: 294/233/180

Height: 5'9"

Oh, and you've gotta look for this CD: The Best of Country Does...the Best of Disney! Yes, seriously. All the songs from Disney movies, done by country artists. It's great, look for it!
sidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 10:15 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 510/see tracker/160

Height: 5' 9 1/2"

Hank Williams Jr is GREAT! Johnny Cash, Marty Robbins, Waylon Jennings, Randy Travis has such a great voice, Willie Nelson was mentioned I think, I love John Anderson too.

Good luck,
Annie
dogpal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 09:46 PM   #15  
Because I deserve it!

S/C/G: 315.4/311/165

Height: 5'11"

Ooohhh....Randy Travis! How did I forget him? "Forever and Ever, Amen" is my favorite song of his. I have several of his CD's.
Xena2005 is offline   Reply With Quote