Old 08-03-2007, 02:07 AM   #1  

Default Multivitamin confusion???

I'm looking for suggestions for a good multivitamin. I've been trying to research which brand is the best but there is so little unbiased info available. Would anyone like to share the name of your vitamin? I'd be greatful for any suggestions! Thanks!!!! Miz M
mizm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 09:45 AM   #2  

I just take a generic brand once daily women's formula multivitamin and a seperate calcium supplement.
Lilion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 10:31 AM   #3  
Nancy

S/C/G: 353/T/168

Height: 5'3"

When I remember to take them . . . I take ones I get at Costco that come in little packets. They have a basic multivitamin plus a few other things - which I can't remember right now.

I found this on the consumer reports site about vitamins: "Stick to mainstream multivitamin brands. Our tests found that those sold in cut-rate discount stores are often substandard." Hmm... I wonder if that includes Costco (on reading further I don't think so - they mention The Dollar Store, Family Dollar, and Big Lots).

One thing to check is whether your multi has iron. If it is a women's multi it might, but if not you might need to add it if you have any issues with low iron (like I do). However, too much iron can be toxic so if you don't need it then you should be ok (you can always check with your doctor)

Also, if you have a Trader Joe's in your area they have good prices on vitamins and they seem to have quality products.
NotTheCheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 01:50 PM   #4  
Shedding My Cocoon

S/C/G: 230.2/226.4/130

Height: 5'6"

I've been taking the Kroger version of the multivitamin, but it's missing a few things I'd like (like Selenium). I just picked up another supplement from Wild Oats Market called "Hair, Skin & Nails," which has all the vitamins my multivitamin does plus a lot it doesn't, in varying amounts.

I was wondering if you ladies thought it was safe to take both supplements to make sure I get enough of each? I know not all of the vitamins are absorbed like we want them to be, so it seems like taking a little more would make sure, but I don't want any adverse health effects from too much of anything.

Such as Vitamin A - I know too much is bad, but together the two supplements should only give me 150% of the RDA. Together they're only 117% RDA iron, and 150% Vitamin E. Are there any other danger vitamins I should look out for, or do you recommend just taking one or the other supplement?

Thanks so much!
Ethereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 03:14 PM   #5  

The RDA was created in the 1950s and it was the amount of vitamins needed to prevent disease (scurvy or ricketts). Going over vit E is no big deal. Most of the excess vitamins are tinkled out anyway. It would take a HUGE amount of vitamin A over a long periods to become toxic. You are fine taking both supplements.

It took MONTHS for my low iron to get back up to acceptable levels. It would take quite a bit of effort to get my iron levels to a toxic amount.

I also have the same info as NotTC about sticking to brand name of vitamins. It's harder on a large company to be accountable (financially and product loyalty loss) if some vitamin level was unacceptable or inadequate than for a small company to do the same thing.

Luv,
Ratkity
Ratkitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 03:52 PM   #6  

Height: 5' 7"

I actually bought a Consumer's Report to read their analysis of vitamins.

Costco got a really high rating, it contained what it said it did. TJ's didn't do as well.

I may as well admit that I buy expensive vitamins - I get the Andrew Lessman ProCaps brand sold on HSN - he is a strictly US manufacturer, uses solar power to run his plant, and I like the products - he powders lots of things, and puts them in capsules (like calcium, I have a terrible time digesting those pressed rocks that people call calcium pills). He puts spearmint in his Omega 3 fish oils (yeah, they make me burp), and I've checked some of his factoids on the vitamin research (like gammatocopherol E being healthier than alpha-tocopherol), and they are true.

Unfortunately, vitamins seem to be one of those "buyer-beware" things
KristasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 04:35 PM   #7  
Trying so hard....

S/C/G: 298/298/145

Height: 5'7"

I'm skeered of vitamins cause I heard they make you hungry. I definately don't need that! Hee Hee
MugCanDoIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 06:09 PM   #8  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

I use Jamieson's VITAVIM 50+. Jamieson products are available all over and they have numerous 'special formulae'. I don't know how old you are, but one tiny warning about the special "women's" formula of any brand of vitamins with the extra iron -- after menopause the extra iron can be more harmful than beneficial.
meowee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 06:30 PM   #9  

Thanks for all of the great replies!

I went to a local Walgreens today and found Centrum A to Zinc on sale and since it was a major brand that I'd heard about I thought I'd give it a try. Many of the people I work with are big into taking individual supplements, but that's a little daunting to me at this point.

I took one vitamin with lunch today and haven't had any problems. No nausea and so far I don't feel any jitters or other issues.

Thanks again!
MizM
mizm is offline   Reply With Quote