Old 07-05-2007, 07:29 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 381/tracker/175

Height: 5'9

Question Quiting smoking and craving sweet

I quit smoking in January since then after every meal I crave something sweet. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get rid of this craving or what to do? I am not even hungry the craving is just horrible and I do not want to start smoking again!
AmbieP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 10:48 PM   #2  
Vortex

S/C/G: 330/see ticker/???

Maybe try fruit at the end of each meal? Or sugar-free mints?

When I quit smoking, I found that REALLY spicy or flavorful foods helped when I was craving a cigarette. I would use super-strong mints (like altoids) or I would make stirfry with the hottest chili sauce I could stand. it seemed that really stimulating my taste buds helped quench the cigarette craving--even though I didn't think I was craving something spicy or minty.
Vortex_VVV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 09:25 AM   #3  

I'm somewhat embarassed to admit that quitting after 14 years as a smoker - I still bum them in times of stress (or alcohol ) And in the past few months I actually bought a few packs of my own. But the sweets craving is something I know well. As I sit here, having smoked the last one in the pack and vowing not to buy/bum more last night, I SO want a cigarette...or a candy bar....one is as good as the other at the moment.

I'm having neither. I'm getting a cup of coffee with LOTS of sugar-free french vanilla creamer to kill the sweet craving for now. I recommend you have sugar-free hard candy and mints on hand. Or brush your teeth immediately after meals - that helps too.

And congrats on quitting! You should be proud!
Lilion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 09:27 AM   #4  
Nancy

S/C/G: 353/T/168

Height: 5'3"

Congratulations on quitting smoking! I quit about 10 years ago and it was one of the hardest things I have ever done. However, I wasn’t watching what I was eating at the time and relied a lot on lollipops to get me through. I also definitely understand the need for meal closure, which I used to get from cigarettes. Really strong mints or other flavors sounds like it might do the trick. Or perhaps a really nice cup of tea?
NotTheCheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 02:24 PM   #5  
Vortex

S/C/G: 330/see ticker/???

Good luck! Let us know how it goes.
Vortex_VVV is offline   Reply With Quote