Old 06-20-2007, 02:08 AM   #1  
It just takes some time

S/C/G: 292/See Ticker/200

Height: 5ft 9in

Smile New here

And looking for some motivational tips. I'll give a little history on myself..

I'm a 24yr old stay at home mom of two boys. I've always been on the heavy side but in the past couple years it's been packing on.. A couple years ago I started a strick diet and lost 35lbs. But since then I've gained it all back and have I have become depressed about it.. I'm not quite 300lbs yet but I wanted to nip this in the butt before I do. I don't want a quick fix I want ideas on how to achieve long term results and life changes. Thanks everyone in advance for your help!
MakinChanges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 02:23 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 375/ticker/275

Height: 5'7.5"

Welcome to 3FC! I'm fairly new myself and I've had nothing but positive experiences here thus far.

My biggest tip would be count your calories. I use calorie-count.com but there are tons of sites out there that let you input what you eat each day. I was truly blown away by how much I CAN eat and still be in my calorie range each day. I've cut out soda (my true weakness), reduced portion sizes, and started eating more fruits/veggies.

Before, progress, and after pictures are a good motivation. I spent hours looking at people's before/after pictures when I first joined. Then, I had my husband take my Before pictures for me (they're on the fridge now for motivation). I'm planning on taking a progress picture every 20 pounds.

Also, get a weight ticker going in your User CP! It's so so so exciting to step on the scale, see the numbers, and do the happy dance over to the computer to update your ticker.

Again, welcome to 3FC! So glad you found us.
MarinePrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 08:21 AM   #3  

Height: 5'8.5"

Hello and welcome to both of you!

There are so many different plans... personally I just eat healthfully and move my butt. I don't diet or count calories. However, different things work for different people so find a plan which works for YOU and stick with it.

You are off to a great start by coming here as there is lots of encouragement and positive reinforcement... and LOL yah we can just sometimes WHINE when we feel like it.

Hope you will join us over in the numbered threads... that is where most of the chat takes place. Also you might want to check out our exercise thread.
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 10:09 AM   #4  

Height: 5'6"

to both of you.

This is a *great* site and an excellent source of encouragement and support. I have been following my plan of journalling using Fitday, calorie counting, and exercise since mid February and in terms of health, I can't remember when I have felt better. In the beginning using a daily food journal really helped me see what I was eating. It is a really useful tool. I also didn't start exercising right away because I could barely walk up the stairs in my home without being winded. I just did things to incorporate more "movement" in my daily routine which to me was adding steps...parking further away from buildings, etc. I used a pedometer to track my steps. I still do and I am now at over 10,000 steps per day! When I started I was at 3500-4000. I also encourage you to take pics of you as "before" so that you can compare and see your progress. I also took measurements. It is amazing that you lose inches when the scale doesn't budge. I keep this all on an Excel spreadsheet. It is neat to look back on...and of course I have a LONG way to go yet, but I will get there when I get there!

Experiment and find what works best for you as we are all different.

Best of luck!!
Torister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 11:45 PM   #5  

Welcome!! I am new here as well and have found this to be a great place for tips and encouragement.

Glad to see you here and good luck to you!

Last edited by Zest4Life; 06-20-2007 at 11:51 PM. Reason: Adding more info
Zest4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 12:25 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

I'll just add to what the others have said. If you're overwhelmed, start by making small but CONSISTENT changes. For example, I started by taking my lunch and snacks to work and watching portions. Later I counted calories and really exercised (like Torister I began by "moving more) -- and it just snowballed from there.

I think motivation is great... while it lasts... but it doesn't last imho. I find that commitment is longer lasting. I do some of the things I do -- especially exercise -- because I HAVE to, not because I always WANT to.

Speaking of which -- check out our exercise thread (stickied at the top!) We are striving to exercise 200,000 minutes this year as a group, and everyone's minutes help!!! Feel free to join!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 01:29 AM   #7  

Height: 5'8.5"

Heather, you echoed my thoughts exactly about motivation... the term is highly overrated. It is nice when it is there but does not always stick around --deserts us when we need most -- and then we have to just use plain-old gut level commitment and determination! NOT an easy task but the rewards are worth it!
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 07:03 AM   #8  

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misti in Seattle View Post
Heather, you echoed my thoughts exactly about motivation... the term is highly overrated. It is nice when it is there but does not always stick around --deserts us when we need most -- and then we have to just use plain-old gut level commitment and determination! NOT an easy task but the rewards are worth it!
I so agree!!!!!!!!!

Motivation gets you going in the beginning....Commitment and determination keeps you going!! So true!!!!!!!!
Torister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 12:44 AM   #9  
It just takes some time

thank you all for the warm welcome! I am making changes! I've stopped drinking so much soda. Coke is my weakness, I will probably never give it up all together. Might have one once a month or so. I've got to work on my eating at night time before bed and getting out of the house... Slow changes though..
Old 06-27-2007, 09:44 AM   #10  
Nancy

S/C/G: 353/T/168

Height: 5'3"

That is great that you have been able to cut back on the soda. Have you tried Coke Zero? I find it tastes much more like regular Coke than the Diet version.
NotTheCheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 11:04 AM   #11  
It just takes some time

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotTheCheat View Post
That is great that you have been able to cut back on the soda. Have you tried Coke Zero? I find it tastes much more like regular Coke than the Diet version.
No, I haven't ttried it yet. I mightlook into that though!
Old 06-28-2007, 01:58 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 364 (HW)/251(CW)/170(FWG)

Height: 5'4"

I like the Coke Zero vanilla and cherry one as well. Hard to find though. And I am picky about my sodas..lol I usually drink diet pepsi or Sprite.
StormieAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 02:14 PM   #13  

Welcome. My advice - be kind to yourself. No one is perfect 100% of the time and expecting perfection is a set-up for failure. Shoot for staying on plan 80-90% of the time and you'll lose. Same with exercise - even if all you have time for is a 10 minute walk - that's great! Make changes that you can live with forever!
luja is offline   Reply With Quote