Closed Thread

Old 05-19-2007, 08:36 AM   #106  

Karen - I am very sorry for your family's lost. What a sad thing.
Old 05-19-2007, 12:00 PM   #107  

S/C/G: 278/267.2/180

Height: 5'7"

Karen - I am very sorry for your loss. to you and your family. My prayers to you to help you in this very sad time.

Last edited by Terri in MO; 05-19-2007 at 12:09 PM.
Old 05-19-2007, 11:46 PM   #108  
No More Excuses!

Hello, Everyone!

This week seems to have flown by so quickly! It seems like I've been busy every evening after work, so it's nice to have today to spend some time relaxing and unwinding. The weather was really beautiful, nice and warm today, so I spent some time out walking.

Last Sunday, Mother's Day, my family went to a Mexican restaurant for their Mother's Day brunch buffet. I knew I would eat more than usual that day, and sure enough, I did pay for it when I stepped on the scale the next day and was up 2 1/2 pounds. But, I got right back on track and lost those 2 1/2 pounds, - plus, much to my surprise, - I went on to lose another 5 pounds this week!

My challenge in this upcoming week is that it will be my 49th birthday on Friday, the 25th. Some friends want to take me out to dinner at a restaurant this week to celebrate it, my family is having a birthday party for me, and then there is the birthday lunch celebration at work! Who knows what my weight will be at my weigh-in on Friday!! I hope it's not too bad! I do have this little hope in the back of my mind that I can lose another 2 pounds by Friday, then I would be down 30 pounds on my birthday. My BIG goal is to be under 200 pounds by next year's birthday, - the big 50!

Terri - Sorry to hear that Bear is having problems with breathing and the stuff in his eyes. I hope there is something that can be done to help him. On a happier note, it's great that you've been doing 25 min. on the stationary bike several days in a row. It's also great that you are participating in the "Step It Up" program at work. I know what you mean about having problems with pedometers, - I've tried using them in the past and they didn't record my steps very accurately either! I wonder why?? Yes, it sure is frustrating! But keep up the good work, - you are inspiring!

Lilion - I enjoyed seeing your garden picture. That's a nice trellis! Also, good for you - in making a veggie stir-fry when you were hungry instead of eating the pie in your fridge, or other food! A wise choice!

Karen - So sorry to hear your sad news. I'll be keeping you and your family in my thoughts and prayers during this difficult time. Whenever you need to talk, we're here for you.

Well, must go for now. I hope you all have a good week ahead!

Julie
Old 05-20-2007, 11:16 AM   #109  

Good morning ladies,

Its been a beautiful morning. I enjoyed a early morning out feeding the horses, watering the front plants, and letting the dogs enjoy being outside. And listening to the birds. Very peaceful. I allowed myself that time to ignore all the other work that has to be done today such as weeding and using the string trimmer.

I ended up not being able to get Bear into the vet until yesterday. His eyes looked terrible and he was coughing up fresh blood splatters. He just didn't act like he felt good. DH and I talked about it and decided that if the vet thought it was bad, then to go ahead and put him down. I was convinced that it was time. I cried all the way to the vet's office. Cried in the vets office. He looked at me and looked at Bear and said, its not time and then gave me a paper towel to wipe my glasses off. I love this vet. He's young, he's personable, and just a good country boy. He even gave me a hug. He gave Bear antibiodics again and meds for his eyes. The blood he said was from the tumor having small erruptions into his lungs but Bear wasn't suffering and is still having a good quality of life. DH was surprised, but very happy, to see his big dog in the back of the Escape. I told the Doc that last Friday I thought I was going to have to put the old mare down and now Bear that it maybe I should just get chickens instead.

I was a waste the rest of the day. That trauma really took it out of me. I spent all day inside working on the computer and bill paperwork stuff. More of the day was spent looking for things I couldn't find. Like the $50 JC Penny gift certificate that I wanted to use to order a new bedroom quilt set.

There is a red-headed woodpecker sitting outside our window. How beautiful! I am going to have to get a good digital camera because I want to take pictures of the birds.

Duke is growing like a weed. Danni and he have become friends and they play together. Which is good, she needed that. She's also been really good about taking him outside to potty or getting his attention to bring him back from wandering off. I do think she doesn't like it that he kisses her in the face so much. He's been up playing since about 7 am. Now he's crapped out on the floor beside my chair. He is such a sweetheart.

One of my projects for today is to create a better irrigation system for the garden. Sounds fancy doesn't it? It really means get out in the garage and find the other hoses and better situate the soaker hose around the garden so that I can water it all at once without having to move it.

DH wants to go shop for a swimming pool. I'm not sure I want to leave the place today.

Oh, and I did leave at 3:00 on Friday. However, just as I was packing up to come home, DH called to say that his mom was on the way to the ER again. I headed to the hospital instead of home. He came up too. She's had fluid building up again. I sat with them until 5:30 and came home to take care of the beasts. DH stayed until 7:30 and she didn't get checked into a room until 9:00 pm. And there weren't that many people in the ER! But she's doing okay and will probably go back home tomorrow oce they get the fluid off.

Lilion - Loved the picture of your garden. I saved it for ideas for next years garden. I like how you've got it sectioned off.

Julie - on getting back on track and having a great loss. Turn that little hope into a strong determination to meet that goal. What will feel better? To have hit 30 pounds by your birthday or food? Just keep that in mind and make healthy choices or just have small bites not portions. You can do this!

Luja - Sorry to hear about your arm; hope its better soon. Good job for not letting it keep you from other exercise.

Valerie - Happy Belated Birthday! I saw your post on the other thread.

Karen -

to everyone!
Old 05-20-2007, 02:00 PM   #110  

Good Afternoon Ladies!

I should try to be productive right now but I think I've run out of steam today. Stayed up to 1:30 reading and then have been up since 8. It is absolutely beautiful today. I did a little bit of yard work and took a long, 40-minute walk. I need to hop in the shower pretty soon as DH and I have to go to two memorial services today. One is in a park in town from 2-4 and the other in a neighboring town from 3-5. Such a lovely day to have to do sad things.

Terri, I'm so glad that Bear is still with you! Give the big boy a hug from me! Here's one for you. Thanks for the compliment on the garden. I really like raised beds, definately the way to go. About the "sections" it's a square foot garden. Have you heard of that? Basically, make a grid (no more than 4' wide so you can reach to the center, and you plant a certain number of things per sq ft. 1 tomato, 1 pepper, 9 onions, 16 carrots, 4 heads of lettuce, etc. It's great for a small family that doesn't really want to have tons of food to freeze or can and perfect for us. There's a ton of info on line.

Breathless, I'm so very sorry for your family's loss.

Luja - hope you are having a good day!

Sparkles, Good for you getting/staying on track and I hope you get thru all those birthday celebrations! Happy Birthday by the way!

Well, I must go, time to get in the shower so I'll be ready to get dressed while DH is in at 2. to all!
Old 05-20-2007, 06:43 PM   #111  

Sparkles – Happy Birthday! And WOW on the weight loss – that’s wonderful!

Teri – Hope poor ol’ Bear is going ok. Pedometers don’t measure my steps well either. I always thought it was because of my big stomach impeding their ability to work. I want one that goes on my shoe! How did you irrigation system work out?

Lilion – hope you were up late reading something good!

Hello to everyone else. I hope all is well with you all.

I had a weekend of fun. A dear friend came in town and I got to spend yesterday with her and then we went out to dinner with other friends last night. Do any of you remember a Mexican fast food joint about 20 years ago called Zantigo’s? They were bought out by Taco Bell. Anyway, much to our happiness (it was our favorite college place to go after, um, studying, yeah, studying) they are back here in MN – a former franchisee of the original chain has 5 or so of them now. That’s were we went. It’s tasty, fattening, and I ate too much. I also spent a lot of time in the garden. I am having quack grass problems in the garden and burdock problems in the yard. It’s a never ending weed battle. I got some more stuff planted and am really happy the tomatoes and peppers I ordered haven’t come yet. They would not be happy with MN weather this week – brrrr.
Old 05-20-2007, 08:35 PM   #112  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Terri -- Sounds like a very traumatic weekend with Bear and your MIL! My pups are so precious to me and hearing stories like that about Bear breaks my heart! to both of you!!
Old 05-21-2007, 12:27 AM   #113  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

HI LADIES ~ ~ We've had really weird weather here lately; just yesterday we had SNOW; ya really! DH and I spent Friday doing the final tilling on our gardens (DH more that me); while I refereed between DH and three little munchkins who kept running all thru his rows. DH was about to commit hary cary after fixing them five times; lost his cool, and the kiddies (boys @ 2, 4 & 5 y/o) just scattered in all directions like bugs ~ LOL!

Seems they had no chaperones that day; guess 'ole gramma and grampa next door (that's what they call us) were nominated to be free sitters for the day; but DH was not amused ~ LOL! We decided to build them a small sandbox of their own, so poor DH doesn't end up in THE HOME FOR THE BEWILDERED by summer's end ~ hehe!

GARDEN UPDATE ~ However, we did managed to get three rows of potatoes and my salad garden planted. We decided to wait for the rest. Then we had snow Saturday, so it was just as well; there's lots of time yet.

TODAY ~ we went on a wee car trip; picked up some chicken on the way home, and didn't get to eat 'til after 7 pm. Stopped to visit my widowed DU who's bachin' it these days; he's doin' pretty good from what I can see!

LILION ~ your square-foot raised garden looks fab; it's really progressing well. We have AVG & Ad-Aware Spyware & PestPatrol & a Firewall on our PC.

TERRI ~ glad Bear gets to stay with you longer; we love our furry babies so much; can't bare the thought of not having them with us.

KAREN ~ sorry for your family's loss; my niece also lost a boy in the last trimester in January; poor darlin'; she was devastated. We're all trying to encourage and uplift her spirits; prayers for your kiddies too!

HEATHER ~ your before and after pics are so great; what a difference! If I can just get over this hump and get losin' again, it would be so great!

LUJA ~ we have always mulched to kill the quack grass and all other weeds; but this year we got a roll of black mulch paper ~ 100' for only $7.00; enough to do our whole gardens' aisles and then some. The rain goes thru but the weeds die off and you don't have to do any weeding. We thinks its well worth the price since they are guaranteed to last at least 10 years. Also, plant your stuff really close together; so the plants crowd the weeds out!

JULIE ~ CONGRATS on the weight-loss; you are doing so fab! You can still celebrate your b/d with healthy choices like BBQ chicken or a nice lean steak; after all, it's your birthday; you deserve it!

ANYWAYS ~ just wanted to get in here and post; hope you are all well ~ take good care of yourselves and keep on, keepin' on ~ your fellow encourager ... ROSEBUD.

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 05-21-2007 at 12:51 AM.
Old 05-21-2007, 09:01 AM   #114  

Good morning ladies,

Now this is spring. Another beautiful morning in the neighborhood. Too bad its Monday.

We went pool shopping yesterday. I relented and left the place. We're investing in a better grade above ground pool. This will be much better for DH to be able to use and will be set up professionally so no sloping like last year. It was hard to accept the price but at least we didn't buy the 33 foot pool that was absolutely gorgeous. We would have had to cut down two trees in the back yard.

I watched The Guardian while I sorted laundry and ironed. Really fun. Loved the movie. I did redeem myself by spending almost two hours working in the garden last night. I hoed the whole thing to get rid of weeds and smooth it out more after all the rains. Great for my arms. I also worked on the irrigationi system which will be really cool because DH will be able to water and get the whole thing without him hurting himself trying to move the hose. I just need to make some placement tweaks and its all set.

I treated myself to a soak in the whirlpool tub. You know you're dirty when you have to wash off to take a bath.

One of the things I have to remind myself is that when I'm busy accomplishing these things, then I'm not moping around and wanting to eat. So today at work, I'll make a long list of things to do this week.

I'll catch up with replies tonight. My battery is about shot and I need to get to work. Have a great day!
Old 05-21-2007, 01:10 PM   #115  
Beam me up Scotty!

S/C/G: 310/218/140

Height: 5'6"

Hi everyone!

Still going through finals...

Karen - So sorry to hear about your loss. Your family is in my prayers.

See a lot of gardening going on in here. Wish I didn't have a "black thumb"!

I'm still holding steady on the weight and still comfortable with it. Maybe for the summer it'll change.

Have a good day everyone.
Old 05-21-2007, 03:44 PM   #116  

Hi,all
Karen, I'm so sorry to hear about your family's loss. i know the love and support of the family will help your son and daughter-in-law through this.

Teri, it's always hard to know what to do with our beloved pets. My kitty Pawl is still with me, but his back feet have been swollen - from fluid. He still walks okay and his appetite and box habits are normal, so I'm not going to drag him to the vet until I need to. He's 93 in people time, so maybe swollen ankles is just what it is with people who are 93. LOL. I just thank goodness for each day I have him, and I know you feel the same about Bear. You have a good vet. He hasn't given up him!

Diet-wise it's been a challenging last 2 weeks - graduation parties, Derby party, etc, but still I did better at the doctor's office than I expected - down 7 pounds. I've almost broken the 300 level.

Camp is around the corner and I'm in crazy mode, cleaning, organizing and packing to get ready.
HOpe you all have a good week!
Bearcub

Old 05-21-2007, 10:50 PM   #117  

Hi Ladies!

I am new to the site and someone referred me to this thread for over 40 with a significant amount to loose -

that's me!!! Here I am and I am most grateful!!

Susan
Old 05-22-2007, 03:19 AM   #118  
Beam me up Scotty!

S/C/G: 310/218/140

Hi Susan, glad you made it! Welcome.
Old 05-22-2007, 06:02 AM   #119  
aka Karen

S/C/G: 299/293.5/175

I just want to thank you all for your much needed support. I know we will all be fine over time. It's so nice to have a place to actually "feel" your emotions without having to "brave-up" for anyone.

I see there are a bunch of new names here since my last post a month and a half ago. Welcome to all the newbies and to all the "oldies...but goodies! You all seem to be doing well and are staying on track as much as possible. I also see lots of hard work out there on flower and veg gardens. I, too, have been getting in the dirt with my flowers and very tiny veg "area"...can't even call it a "garden"...too small....one or two giant pots with tomatoes and whatever else I feel like having. It's wonderful therapy for me. My mud pies days and me go way back!

I will try and get back to do "personals" maybe today or tomorrow. But, I do want to say that I am happy that BEAR is still with us.

Have a great day everyone!
Old 05-22-2007, 06:06 AM   #120  
aka Karen

S/C/G: 299/293.5/175

Wyllen, the new pic's are remarkable! What a tremendous accomplishment! Kudos to you for all of your hard work and determination! GREAT JOB!
Closed Thread