Closed Thread

Old 02-19-2007, 06:49 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 278/267.2/180

Height: 5'7"

Default Old Hens 40+ And Ready to Lose #115

This thread is a sub-set of the 300+ thread.

This group is for those dealing with the challenges of having a significant amount of weight to lose and being fit which becomes harder after age 40. If you're an old or new friend and not over 40 and feel this is the place to post, jump right in.

We start new threads on a Monday.
Old 02-19-2007, 07:05 AM   #2  

Height: 5'6"

Smile One Full Week OP!!

I made it! I am taking one day at a time and I can't believe how much I am eating! Yesterday I actually *had* to have a snack to reach my caloric needs for the day. It is weird to have an omelette for Sunday bfast with a slice of hearty toast and have that be OK. Perhaps this is why I have gained and lost and gained again on *diets*.

I am trying a different mindset that this is for overall health and the weight loss is an added bonus. Hubby and I have been cooking recipes I have found in the recipe section of the board and really enjoying some GOOD food!! My freezer is now full of quick meals to grab to take with me for work this coming week.

Sorry to ramble...just feeling so GOOD this morning!!
Old 02-19-2007, 07:45 AM   #3  

Hey gals,

Not much to say this morning. Just finished my 45 minutes of exercise on the stationary bike. I'm determined to get out of this funk and moving ahead.

I did submit an application last night to the mid-america rottie rescue website. I told DH that there are rotties out there that need good homes and I'd rather rescue one than pay someone's ridiculous puppy fee. So we'll see. And with meds Bear is acting much more like himself. So who knows, maybe the doc is right or wrong. Just can't live by the diagnosis - just by his love and happiness.

Time to hit the shower. It is supposed to be really warm today. The wind is blowing something fierce though. That should dry out some of the wetness (i.e. living in the country makes for a mudhole!).

Have a great Monday and thanks again, for all the kind words and support.

Old 02-19-2007, 09:30 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Torister -- Sounds like a great attitude. Eating great food has really helped me stay OP.

Terri -- I think you're right to focus on living by Bear's love and happiness. Enjoy him and let him love you. That's the best gift we can give our pups.

And thanks for starting the new thread!

I bought this wonderful loaf of bread yesterday -- a 9 grain whole wheat bread from a bakery with "all natural" ingredients. It is SO good. I'm having a hard time staying away from it!!! But, I did drag myself to the treadmill yesterday. Yay.
Old 02-19-2007, 02:23 PM   #5  

Talking

Good Afternoon Ladies!

I should be at the office, or at least doing office work. Instead I'm taking a few minutes to post before I go hit the infernal machine! I've been a bit MIA lately. I really inteneded to post yesterday, but was so busy! We rearranged the living room, cleaned out three closets and totally gutted my sewing room, moving my very large fabric stash into a closet and rearranging to fit in my new Bowflex! We also ran and bought that yesterday. We're probably going to need to work out in order to get it up the stairs and into that room! Box is huge. Anyway, the IM got put in the sewing room and now it's waiting for me.

Terri, again! I know that you are doing the right thing with Bear. Bless his little doggy heart - and yours, making him happy for as long as you can is all you can do!

I haven't got much to say, got a late start today since I stayed up to 1 a.m. working on the rooms and didn't get up til 10 a.m. Had some breakfast and played Chess with the kid...who was mad because I beat him. Fact is, he's a good player and I'm only about as good as he is, I'm just more aggressive, mostly because I don't care if I lose so I'm more likely to put pieces in danger to get good position and he's busy protecting his. I have to teach the kid some sportsmanship...but I've been trying for 12 years! I'm not sure it's ever going to take.

Okay...now I'm rambling.

Got to run....Onward and Downward ladies!!!
Old 02-19-2007, 09:33 PM   #6  

Hi chicks,

Today was pretty decent for a Monday. Work went okay. Got all my reviews in and approved. Left the office at a decent time. Came home and was able to feed the horses for a change. DH has been doing it this winter. We putzed around outside for awhile and it was very nice to be able to do that. Muddier than all get out. We definitely need a few loads of gravel up the driveway. Asphalt would be nice but that is way too $$$$$$.

I even got in an evening workout. I went on to workout two on my Push.tv workout. I think I'm on month five. Geez, I worked up a sweat. Great workout. I could do modified versions of everything he did. Somethings are still just beyond what I can do and to be serious, I am happy with the modified version. I've got a lot of missed exercise minutes to make up if I am going to make my goal this month. Better get off my butt.

Lilion - I am so excited for you to be getting the bowflex. You are going to get some hot muscles!! Sounds like you had a wonderfully productive and hard working weekend.

Torister - Good job on doing all that cooking. Sorry for missing your post this morning. We must have been posting pretty close together. Keep up the good work.

Heather - Good for you for hitting that treadmill. Mind over matter! What's the brand on that bread? I've been have Block and Barrel bread at work because it looks like its a whole grain bread. The deli area has it. Tastes like whole grain because its kind of dry and chewy.

I need to go get clothes out of the dryer so that I have something to wear tomorrow. Well, I could wear stuff out of the closet but not having pants clean could be a problem if I don't wear pants to work.

to all! Goodnight!
Old 02-20-2007, 12:19 AM   #7  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

Wink Here's to a new week ...

Hi Ladies:

Well, it sounds like you all are off to a great start, as usual. Wow, you guys are the exercise queens. All I can handle right now is walking and using my mega rower ... woo-hooooo!

The really funny thing is that I have enough equipment to almost start up my own gym, but I can't use them yet. I have a huge treadmill which the first time I tried it, I fell flat on my face. Now, I heard ya laugh ... I did ... yes, I did! It echoed up the canyons, and over the rockies and ...

I have this large funny looking bicycle thing, with handles that move back and forth ... I don't know what it is, but my knees can't handle it yet. Now I am starting to sound like a real frump. And I have a reciprocal bike; and sometimes, if DH lifts up my poor injured left leg, I can get in some kind of movement there! OK ... really, he put it away, cuz he said it was just collecting too much dust; and that's his job. LOL!!!

I couldn't blame him; our house was getting all cluttered up with the stuff. So I stuck with my walking and my rower, which if you knew me, you'd know why. LOL! I'm just not ready for Mount Everest yet! Oh, how did I get on this tangent? I need an exercise fairy and a good health fairy and ...

All I did today was some housework this morning and then made a pot of homemade soup for lunch! Then I spent part of the aft lurking around the site. Overall though, I had an OP weekend and am starting the week out well. I'll just have to work a little harder on the other part.

We're having a blizzard outside right now; but, things are supposed to clear by the weekend. Gee, I think that rambling thing is catchy ... It's late, time for bed ... so ttyl ... Rosebud.
Old 02-20-2007, 08:07 AM   #8  

Smile Good morning!

Hello chickies, I thought I had better get back in here and let you all know I am still alive and kicking, well sort of. I think trying to kick anything would put my behinny on the floor.

I am doing ok in the ongoing battle with my weight. I have lost 7 lbs since I re-commited to the program. That would be wonderful if it were virgin fat....but not! I got really tired of counting points and went back to counting calories, it is easier for me. I still have the old, old program from weight watchers, and why they ever thought they needed to change it, is beyond me. Of course I understand that it was more or less 1200 calories for everybody and that might not work for everyone. It worked fine for me back in the "day". I lost 109 lbs in 11 months on it. Swore I would never be that big again! You know the story...years passed and the weight came back with a few friends. UGH! Right now I am just trying to stay STRONG.

Terri, I was so sorry to read about Bear.

Lilion, Oh boy, A new torture machine. Have fun!

Rosebud, actually all of us are not exercise queens. Sssssh, I wouldn't want anyone else to know that. LOL!

torister, and wylenn, hope you are having a wonderful day.

time for me to get back to work. I have been cleaning out my utility room for two days and am still not through.

See Ya later, Ruth
Old 02-20-2007, 08:38 AM   #9  

Hi girls,

I'm up. I've exercised. I've fed the horses. I've petted the dog. I found a bill that should have been mailed on Saturday. And I've showered. Time to get dressed and my butt out the door for work. Just this subtle change in our weather has me revived. That and I have a day off coming on Friday. I am soooo ready.

Rosebud - Walking and doing the rowing machine qualifies you as an exercise queen too. You're doing great.

Ruth - If it works and it ain't broke, don't go messing with it. Good job on losing the 7 pounds. So what if its not virgin fat? You could have put on 7 pounds instead. Good to see you posting. I miss seeing you in the mornings.

Speaking of missing seeing people, where is BarbG? Miss you! And all the other ladies out there lurking.

That includes you too Valerie. How was the weekend with the girls and the horses? If it dries out any at all this week, I just might get Ginger up for a ride around the pasture.

Must get ready and out the door. DH didn't bother to get up and make breakfast this morning. No time to wait on him now.

Have a great day ladies!
Old 02-20-2007, 09:28 AM   #10  

Talking

Good Morning Ladies!

Only managed 20 on the elliptical today...but quite pleased with that considering how busy my weekend was. And Wednesday is the day I skip the IM! I'm ready for a non-elliptical day! Got the Bowflex together last night. Took about 2 1/2 hours for DH and me, but it's done and the room is not as crowded as anticipated. We even played on it a bit. I think it'll be worth the $$$.

Terri - We have some ladies MIA lately, don't we? Barbara, Valerie, Karen, Mother, BarbPA hasn't posted in a while, hmmmm, Turtle, who else??? They are calling for 60 DEGREES tomorrow here!!! How about where you are?

Ruth - It's SO GOOD to see you! I totally agree with Terri - seven down is seven DOWN! No use feeling bad that it isn't virgin fat! Heck, when you get right down to it, NONE of it is virgin fat! It all went on sometime! Are you talking about the old WW program when they had "exchanges"? I did that too back in the 80's and I did lose about 40 lbs...one of the many times I lose about 40 lbs. Of course, that was back in my wilder days. I counted vodka as a potato, wine as a fruit, beer as a grain and tequilla as a veggie!

Rosebud - We all start somewhere! I started walking. I talk about my elliptical (a/k/a the Infernal Machine) now...but the first time I got on the thing I did 3 minutes. Not 30 - 3! Rowing and walking are exercise...you are doing great!

Heather- That bread sounds good! We buy Sara Lee Deliteful multi grain, not all natural, I know, but two slices are only 1 point!

Torister- Sounds like you are doing very well! Cooking ahead is not something I excell at...in fact, I find it hard to cook at all! And I like to cook, really...but I never remember to do things like thaw out meat!

Well all, I did NONE of my office work this past weekend - so I better make myself scarce today! and to you all!
Old 02-20-2007, 05:09 PM   #11  

Height: 5'2" on a tall day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilion View Post
Good Morning Ladies!

Cooking ahead is not something I excell at...in fact, I find it hard to cook at all! And I like to cook, really...but I never remember to do things like thaw out meat!
Lilion: This IS me! I'm always one ingredient short, or frozen, too!!! I have one other problem convincing myself to cook. I just can't make myself fix something that take over 20 min. to prep. because I can't be convinced that it's worth it to spend all that time cooking and cleaning up when you spend 1/2 hr. max at the table. I really admire folks who enjoy the whole meal preparation event. It's just not me though.

It's great to see so many folks checking in. We need each other.

My weigh in is tomorrow. It'll be a two weeker since it was cancelled last week due to the storms. Getting there should not be a problem. It's 45 degrees outside. First time we've broken freezing in several weeks. It'll be quite a while til our snow is anywhere near gone.

ttyl
Old 02-20-2007, 06:19 PM   #12  
Vortex

S/C/G: 330/see ticker/???

Hey all. Yes, I'm still alive. I'm now officially over 40... does that make me better?

Don't know what to say. I haven't been motivated, or organized, or anything, in a while. Honestly, I don't exactly care about anything right now. I *want* to care, but I don't. Does that make any sense? I don't have any great reasons for being in a funk. I just want to quit everything and go, I dunno, go somewhere else where no one knows me.

Okay, so I disappeared on you and then reappeared only to whine. I do hope everyone's doing okay. I'll try to check in again soon, with any luck in a better mood.
Old 02-20-2007, 07:03 PM   #13  

Height: 5'2" on a tall day.

Angela .....Whoa! I hate to see folks in a blue funk but, you know, this is a good place to visit when you need to vent.

I don't know your situation but I'd love to see you cheer up.

#1 HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!
I really hope you enjoyed your day. You'll find your 40's are a comfortable decade. Celebrate them.

#2 If you're surrounded by family, or just overwhelming busy, STOP and take some time for yourself. A new hair style, a nice long bubble bath with candles, wine and a good book, maybe a manicure. Do something just for YOU! It doesn't have to be costly ... just some personal time and space.

#3 Live alone? Take yourself out and do something. Sign up for a crazy class like Finding Your Colors, Line Dancing, heck even Shakespeare In The '00s. Volunteer with a local church or civic group or at a food pantry. Get out among people that you don't know. I'm not fond of large groups of people but I make myself find something to do. For me it's training classes with the dog, or dinner w/friends I don't see very often and I'm even going to Bingo early next month with a co-worker. (Me? Bingo??? I can't believe I said yes.) You'd be surprised at the number of acquaintances (sp?) that are willing to drop everything to take in a movie or meet over a reasonably priced meal at the drop of a hat. When I'm blue I've learned to just pick up the phone and make plans to meet someone. I almost always feel better about myself, and my world, if I make the effort to get out.

#4 Take little steps and you'll begin to care about yourself, and your surroundings. Then you can get back OP as well.

I'm sorry if I sound pushy but I really hate to see anyone feeling really low.

You know we all love ya' and we all have our whiney times. It's allowed and this is a great place to let it out.

Hugs,
Old 02-21-2007, 02:43 PM   #14  

Height: 5'6"

One thing I noticed today was how much more I am enjoying my meals and snacks! Instead of wolfing down my lunch in seconds flat, I enjoyed it and was much more satisfied with it. I am also making sure that I have some sort of snack in between meals. This afternoon is celery with salsa to dip it in.
Old 02-21-2007, 05:51 PM   #15  
Vortex

S/C/G: 330/see ticker/???

Judy, Thanks for the pep talk! I actually went home and cooked some healthy food last night to eat today, and I had a hair appointment this morning, so I'm feeling some better. I've realized that I say yes to too many things, and that I need to make some decisions about priorities. The trouble is that I'm already in over my head with commitments that I can't really back out of, and I've got to somehow get through this crunch time and start planning for life to be more sane in the near future. I love my job but there's one way in which I and my job aren't compatible: I have a lot of unstructured time, and since I'm not good at planning my time, that means I'm basically always feeling I should be working. I know, how can anyone complain about having control of their time? When I worked an 8-5 + schedule, I often thought of how grateful I would be not to do that any more.

Anyway. There's yet another rant. On the positive side, I made this great Thai-inspired stir fry last night, which I'm eating for dinner right now. Thanks again for the cheering-up.

Torister, you've come by while I was MIA. Good to meet you!
Closed Thread