Old 01-01-2007, 07:15 PM   #1  

Default Weight loss without surgery

Hello,

I am in the process of trying to lose weight. I have not limited myself at this point...I have taken the "everything in moderation" approach and it has worked so far.

Basically because of some stomach concerns, I will more than likely never be a candidate for weight loss surgery.

What I am wondering is if there are any specific forums for those of us who are not losing weight due to weight loss surgery. I know that there are different concerns for both groups (those who have had surgery, those who have not).

I am really hoping to connect with people who are overweight and who have not had surgery.

Thanks!
starzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 07:32 PM   #2  
742,000 calories burned

S/C/G: 592/380/175

Height: 5'9"

I haven't had surgery, and don't plan to. When people find out that I have lost over 200 lbs., they assume I had the surgery. I explain with a straight face that I figure that I have done enough damage to my body over the years that I don't need to re-arrange my internal plumbing. You're in the right place. One of my biggest motivators is that someone has to lose a huge amount of weight without surgery just to show the doctors (who profit mightly from doing the surgeries) that obesity can be "cured" without surgery. I get so angry when I hear one of them on TV say that the surgery is our only hope. We put it on one pound at a time, and we can take it off that way to. The how is very simple -- eat less and exercise more -- Simple but not easy. We are here for each other to make the most difficult thing we have ever had to do just a bit easier. Feel free to hop into the regular posts, and welcome.
CatherineM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 08:22 PM   #3  
colleen

S/C/G: 390/see ticker/200

Height: 5' 5''

Hi Starzzy! I get alot of that weight loss surgery stuff from people I know too. And for a while I concidered it. My research revealed some things that I'd have to live with if I had it done that I did'nt care for. I've even got some friends that have had it done, each one of them have had different results(some good, some bad). I know that I can lose it on my own and I am determined to change the bad habits that got me here so I can keep it off. Good Luck! Nice to meet you and hope you do well.
colneen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 05:26 AM   #4  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Hi, Starzzy! I don't think anyone in this 300+ section has had any type of weight loss surgery. There is a section of the forum specifically for those who have had the surgery. Around here, we're all just working our tushies off!

I don't have any medical reason to not have the surgery, and I even had a few coworkers once who had had the surgery and kinda tried to convince me to have it, too. But I HAVE had major abdominal surgery before (removal of 10-inch ovarian cyst...I had an incision from my belly button almost all the way "down" and had over 20 staples), and I would never EVER wish to voluntarily go "under the knife" again.

On a side note, Catherine, have you spoken to a guy named Charles on here? I believe he is from Canada and has lost over 300 pounds on his own without surgery--he's a frequent poster in the 100+ section (for people with 100 or more to lose).
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 10:14 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Starzzy -- Welcome! I can't recall, but maybe one or two people in this group HAVE had surgery (though no names are coming to mind). We try to be supportive of everyone's choices. It really is a personal decision.

But most of us in the 300+ area have not had surgery.
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 01:48 PM   #6  
Vortex

S/C/G: 330/see ticker/???

Hi Starrzy,

I too have decided--at least for now--against surgery. I do think there are sometimes medical complications that make it harder to take weight off; the first time I lost a good bit of weight it was right after I started taking medication for diabetes, and it suddenly got easier to lose.

It has seemed to me for a long time, though, that it's pretty obvious that the surgery simply substitutes for determination (will power, whatever you want to call it), since the weight loss is still due to reduced intake. Presumably, if I eat like someone post-surgery, I would lose weight like someone post-surgery.
Vortex_VVV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 06:42 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 329/tracker/168

Height: 5'6"

Hi and I don't know anybody on this forum including myself that has had weight loss surgery, so I guess you have come to the right place. I don't want the surgery, never will want the surgery, and am doing fine without it. I wouldn't say no to a tummy tuck, and leg and boob lift when I get to goal though LOL.

Hugs,

Ammi
AmmiUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 07:09 PM   #8  

Thanks for all of the responses! It is inspiring to see what everyone has accomplished.

I too would like weight loss to be something that I accomplish based on my own efforts. Right now I am mainly focusing on regular exercise and eating things in moderation. Sometimes I tend to overeat, which is something that I hope to improve on. But, I have lost weight recently through exercise and making better choices.

I do not have any close friends who are overweight, which is difficult at times!

It has been wonderful to read about everyone's viewpoints on this topic. Thanks again for the replies!
starzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 02:42 PM   #9  

The doctors were all pushing me to go through with the surgery so that I could have back surgery sooner, but I thought long and hard about what the rest of my life would be like and for me having my inside adjusted to help me lose weight was something I wasn't ready to do.

ps...I'm from Wisconsin too
jiggy is offline   Reply With Quote