Old 12-01-2004, 03:57 AM   #1  

Default Is it just me or.....

is it really really a lot harder to loose now? I'm 34 and I can remember back in the day of mid-twenty-something and number 1, I thought at 145 I was so fat and number two, I don't remember being so hungry so often. Not only that but it seems that I was able to stick to a diet, even a silly one for a lot longer than I can now. It's like I'm banging up against a huge brick wall. Do any of you 30-somethings feel this way too?

I think all the years of yo-yoing and then getting pregnant at my all time highest weight and THEN gaining 57 pounds on top of that (YIKES ) have sent me spiraling into the never regions of fatdom. I can be 'good' for maybe a week and then its like kapowie - a huge fat piggie monster takes the place of the good, calorie controller and I backslide - most times even worse than I was before. Well, I'm sick of it - NO MORE!

I'm sorry to unload like this, but I'm ready for some input. Obviously, I'm not getting it on my own. Please, anyone, do you have any wisdom, advice or chastisment to share? I shall be v. greatful.

Thanks,
Ddel30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 04:15 AM   #2  

Hi,
As far as I understand your metabolism slows down with aging, so it really is harder to loose if you are 10 years older. Furthermore all the extra pounds you have now compared to 10 years ago also want to be fed, so on the same amount of food you will indeed feel hungrier.

The good thing is that you can speed up your metabolism by working out.

bye
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 08:15 AM   #3  
LBH

S/C/G: 279.8/276.9/170

Height: 5'10"

Hi Ladies! Yes, I think it's definitely easier when you're younger! I've spent most of my life hearing my grandma and mom say, "Get the weight off now while you're young, because the older you get, the harder it is!" UGH...too bad I didn't have the willpower to stick to it back then!

Welcome to 30-Somethings! Feel free to come chat with us on the "Week of..." thread!
LBH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 05:45 PM   #4  

Helloooooo....

girl, let me tell you it is sooooo hard as you get older. I, myself, take one day at a time. I try to stay on the beaten path for me, but if I do cheat, I do not beat myself up over it. I just get back on track and focus. When I exercise I just focus on me being at 135, rather than 195. I keep pictures of me (especially on the fridge and the cookie cupboard) before I had children, they are a motivator. I know I can do this and it helps to have support in some way.
Just keep working on the goal and it will come if you want it bad enough!!!
Don't be hard on yourself. Set small goals and when you reach them reward yourself. I reward myself my either getting a massage or getting a facial. It is a GREAT motivator. Just find what motivates you and GOODLUCK!!!
carmella1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 05:48 AM   #5  

Rabbit - You are right about the metabolism...I know my yoyo woes have cost me good muscle mass that I'm trying to rebuild. I also know that muscle is metabolically active and burns calories, etc. , but I swear my fat cells are just as hungry as my muscle cells and they are much more demanding and only want the bad stuff!!! Arrgghhh!

LBH - I know, I too, wish I had just used the smidgen of willpower it would have taken me 5 years ago to just do and then maintain it (although I did just do it a few times, then rebounded right back up). The maintaining part has always been the hard part for me. Now it's the loosing part too!! I'll bet the maintaining will be even more difficult at thirty+!

Carmella-Yes, yes, yes! You speak wisdom to my ears... I'm going to do all those things you suggested. I mean this weight is certainly not coming off in a month or two so I'm taking is one day at a time and as long as I'm heading down over all - it's all good!!

Thanks to you all,
Ddel30 is offline   Reply With Quote