Closed Thread

Old 10-26-2003, 08:27 PM   #1  
Moderator - 30 Somethings

Default Kid Chat: Week of 10/26

Hi Guys,

We got an exersaucer today and Alex LOVES it!! Now, don't get me wrong, he only wants to be in it for about 15 min (he didn't have a great nap today so he was grumpy) but he had the biggest smile on his face and he was babbling. It was SO cute. It's not even 8:30 yet and he is already in bed. I'm sure I'll be in there 4 or 5 times before he is settled for the night.

How is everyone? Hope everyone had a super great day!!
Old 10-26-2003, 09:53 PM   #2  
LBH

S/C/G: 279.8/276.9/170

Height: 5'10"

Hi, been busy around here, sorry for the lack of posting!
Old 10-27-2003, 09:14 PM   #3  

Hi guys,

Well, little guy went to sleep nursing by 8:30 and he's now in bed (9:10). Hopefully tonight will be better than last night. He slept from 8:30 - 9:00 then it took me two hours to get him back down. I would start by giving the paci and patting then progress to rocking as needed. Everytime I thought he was asleep that little head would pop up again. I get so frustrated trying to get him to sleep. I dread night time sometimes.

Hope everyone is having a great night.
Old 10-28-2003, 10:09 AM   #4  
LBH

Hi Guys,

Peter had his 9 mo. check up last Thursday, here's his stats:

22.11 lbs. (75%)
28.75" length (90%)
18.75" head (?%)

The Ped. gave him the go ahead to eat anything he wants, except honey and nuts. DH was very excited. He said to start mixing his bottles 1/2 milk, 1/2 formula or EBM for a couple weeks, and if he takes it OK, then switch to full milk. Since he's still BF, but I use formula for mixing his cereal and stuff, I mixed that 1/2 & 1/2. So far, so good.

So DH has been going to town giving him tastes of everything! He brought Mc Donalds home Sunday afternoon and gave Peter a bit of hamburger! HE loved it!! I was not too thrilled...don't wanna rush him. Last night DH gave him a bite of chocolate cake (no icing). I was like, HELLO, he doesn't need that before bed!!! He LOVES pancakes though. I've been making them almost every AM, so Peter gets to eat one, while I'm mixing up some cereal for him. He still likes his cereal mixed with whatever for his actual meal, but he's having fun trying pieces of new stuff inbetween.

In other news, we went to a talent agency last night for Peter. The guy was very impressed with Peter's laid back personality for his age. Based on the way he acted and his looks, the guy said he would definitely sign him. We are hesitant though. There are two programs: the standard program doesn't cost you anything, but you have to have the professional pics taken, make a website and do all the leg work yourself. You contact agencies and stuff and direct them to Peter's website. IF they're interested, they call Kids.com, and they do the booking. Kids.com gets 15% commision on all bookings. Plus the person that books him (modeling agency, ad agency, whatever) also gets 10-15%, depending on whether it's print or TV. He said it pays aobut 55-75/hr. for print ads, and $400+ a day for TV. Kids can work up to 3 days a wk., 3 hrs. a day. If we do the Full Service package, it's $595/5 yr. contract, and they do all the work.

We were not thrilled about the price, or the length of the contract. That's a long commitment and a lot of money for no guarrentees (sp?). So we're gonna hold off for now. Especially since I may be working soon, so it would be hard to take time off to go to the city. We may revisit it in a year.
Old 10-28-2003, 11:13 AM   #5  
Rattie Lover

Ok I gotta brag here..since all of you will know how I feel...

MY DAUGHTER MADE THE TRAVELING JUMP ROPE TEAM! YAY!!!

She has been trying for 2 years now...and she made it!! And she just NOW tells me last night very non-chalantly. Silly kid!! So I just had to pass it on....Yayayayay!!
Old 10-28-2003, 01:40 PM   #6  
LBH

YAYAYAYA~!!!!! That's great!
Old 10-28-2003, 09:32 PM   #7  

Hi guys,

Lauren: You have good instincts. As soon as I told DH about the modeling agency he started researching them (he wants Alex to do some "work"). Here are some links:

for tips on looking for agencies:
http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/services/model.htm

kids.com has a bad rep:
http://bbs.babycenter.com/board/baby/2894/thread/241253
and
http://www.epinions.com/content_3412893828
I'm glad that you didn't give them any money. Although, it looks like you could get your money back by threatening to contact the FTC.

He liked the info at this site on how to spot scams look for:
http://www.modelingscams.org/find.html

He is calling a photographer that he knows for some contacts. If you are interested I will give you what he comes up with. Another lesson that he has learned is that you don't let the agent keep the money for you. His agent absconded with all of her clients money and they never saw a penny. Why she had the money I don't know. Maybe that's how it was done then. He's busy looking for his photographer or I'd ask him!!

Noodles: Cool on your daughter!! I'm sorry if you've posted this already but what is the Traveling JumpRope Team? Sounds interesting anyway.
Old 10-28-2003, 10:12 PM   #8  
LBH

WOW!!! Karen, thanks for posting those links...and thanks to Andy for researching it! I was just reading some of it to DH and he was like, I told you something wasn't right about it. I'm soo glad we have good instincts about that stuff. Yes, I'd love to know if you do find a reputable company, I'd love to earn some cash for Peter's college fund, or at least a car when he turns 17, ya' know? Heck, I'll take enough to pay some bills right now!!
Old 10-29-2003, 11:39 AM   #9  
LBH

DH's latest creation!

Old 10-29-2003, 09:39 PM   #10  

Hi guys,

We had Alex's 6 month check-up today:

15 pounds 11 ounces
25.5 inches

He's in the 25th percentile in both. I know he's just a small guy but I wanted him to be at least 50%!! At least for height. I want him to be tall. Looks like he might be short. He has his Dad's long feet though so I'm hoping he grows into them. He can FINALLY have something for his stuffy nose. Yippee!! He's been waking up at night hardly able to breathe. Maybe he will sleep better now. I sure hope so. Although, he has been sleeping a lot better lately (furiously knocking on wood). Last night he was asleep by 8, in his crib by 8:30 and I only had to go in a couple of times to get him back to sleep. He got up to eat at 5 or 5:30. (I don't remember which-I just went and got him and went back to sleep!!) I have been playing a CD in his room of classical lullabyes. I don't know if it's helping but I'm not going to mess with what's working.

Hey, another question. Supposedly my pedi knows that we just started solids (I told her last time we were in that he hadn't started yet) and she was telling me to start him on meat and level 2 foods!! He's only been eating solids for two weeks!! When did you start different consistensies?

Lauren: DH has not heard from his photographer friend yet. I'm not holding my breath either IYKWIM. He's going to try some others that he knows. I'll let you know what progress we make. I was asking him about what happened to his money and it turns out that it was his manager. Apparently the manager is the one who gets the money from the clients. He had 10-15 thousand dollars (a lot of money in the 70's ) stolen by this lovely lady. She just flipped out, took the money and fled.

Hope everyone has had a super great day.
Old 10-30-2003, 07:49 AM   #11  
LBH

Karen, I started Peter on cereal at 4 months, because he was acting hungrier. I think I stuck with cereal and applesauce for a month or two. At his 6 month appt., the ped said he could start chicken. I told her that I wasn't in a rush to start meats, and we'd probably wait until Thanksgiving. I gave him his first taste of chicken, I think, about 8 months. What I've been doing lately, for convenience more than anything, is opening a can of chicken noodle soup (like Healthy Choice or Progresso), and putting it in the baby food processor for a few seconds. Then I give him that mixed with cereal...only because he won't eat it, or much else, plain. Are you making his food, or doing jarred? The meats smell horrendous!!! Another reason I'm happy to make his! My MIL keeps jarred food at her house, even though I always bring stuff for him, so I decided to amuse her and let her give him the jarred stuff, even though I'm grossed out by what my ped told me at his last visit!!

He's only had a small taste of hamburger...via a bite of DH's Big Mac. He loved it though.

Wow, I can't believe DH's manager stole all that money. You know, I was thinking of just calling some magazines and ad agencies, just to see what they said. Like, do they strictly work through management firms like Kids.com, or would they consider checking out my son's photos?
Old 10-30-2003, 10:42 PM   #12  

Hi guys,

Whew, I had one clingy infant today. He didn't even want to play with his exersaucer or arcade game longer than a couple minutes. Poor baby just wanted to be held and nursed. So, we did!!

Lauren: That is such a cute picture of Peter!! (sorry I forgot to tell you before). I can't wait until DH gets to the section of the tape with the boys on it. I gotta go!
Old 10-31-2003, 05:54 PM   #13  
LBH

Hi Guys,

Peter's being weird today. I say weird because he's whiney, but happy inbetween. He didn't eat more than a few bites of breakfast. DH said he only chewed on a few pieces of hotdog for lunch. I nursed him this AM around 7, then again before his nap at 9:30, then briefly this afternoon, maybe around 1:30, then just before, around 5:30, and he's sleeing now.

We went to DH's office trick or treating! "Peter" got a lot of good munchies...trouble for mommy!! :blush: DH wanted him in his uniform though, not the Little Devil outfit, so Jeremy Shockey he was!

I don't think he's teething again, and I don't think it's because of his cold, because he's basically acting fine, and doesn't seem to be stuffy miserable or anything. Not sure what the problem is. Hope he eats some pizza or something later for dinner...if he wakes up!

RR, where are you?! Are you guys feeling OK? I think last I heard you were miserable and Kaylee was just getting over an ear infection? Wasn't #2 sick too?
Old 10-31-2003, 10:07 PM   #14  

Hi guys,

We have toofie number 1!! Well, the top edge anyway. I could see it and feel it today. I wonder if that is why he was so clingy yesterday (along with getting his shots on Wed).

We went to two Halloween parties today and little boys nap schedule was totally messed up. We handed out our Halloween treats (toys here, no candy!!) and then went out to dinner. He had a nuclear meltdown. I felt so bad for him. It was all my fault. I kept him up way too much. He was so cute for the trick or treaters. I put the hood up on his costume and sat him in his stroller (we set up outside so it would be easier). He sat there for the longest time playing with his toys. Now he is conked out in his bed. Think I will take advantage of the opportunity and go catch some z's myself!!

Lauren: Good luck with the job!! Hope Peter was better today.

RR: Where are you??

Have a great weekend.
Old 11-01-2003, 10:17 AM   #15  
LBH

WTG Alex!!!! No more toofless grin...sad, but they're soo cute with teef!! We don't get any Trick or treaters here, not sure why, since there's lots of kids on the street. I didn't even bother going out front to try.

Peter was a crank pot last night, up many times. I had the vaporizor running to see if that would help, but it didn't. I think i sat and cuddled him in the glider for about a 1/2 hr. at 4:30 this AM. I noticed him flicking his ears last night a bit, so I'm wondering if he's got an ear infection. I'll watch him and call the Dr. Monday.
Closed Thread