Old 04-04-2014, 09:57 AM   #31  

Height: 5'6"

Hi, everyone! I hope you don't mind me joining in.
From about June 2012 to April 2013 I lost 35 pounds. Yay for that! Then, I gained about 15 pounds of it back. In the last few months I've dropped about 5 pounds by just cutting out alcohol.
Now, I'm ready to get serious. I just started going to the gym again, and am pushing myself to create a "habit" of consistent exercise. Right now I'm at 174, and hope to eventually get down to 142.
Anyway, I know that even with dedication, I won't see results on the scale for a bit, since I'm at the beginning. Glad to touch base with other 170'ers!
RVAscreenwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 03:43 PM   #32  

S/C/G: 180/176.4/155

Height: 5'4"

Welcome RVAScreenwriter -- finally!!!! SOme people!!!!
TheFinalFifteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 09:06 AM   #33  

It's my pleasure to join y'all! How are things going, TheFinalFifteen? Personally, Shark Week just started for me (TOM), which in weight loss is one of those things where you just kind of hang in there and wait until its past. I just have to remind myself that patience is a virtue whenever I see that scale.

I am such a big fan of doing weights, that I'm excited to go to the gym. It's kind of weird. I used to be in great shape when I met my husband. I am a curvy woman with a tendency toward strong, sprinter-style legs, so when I was my fittest I was 150 and a size 6. Anyway, back then, I jogged 2-3 times a week and did weights four times a week. I'm less excited about doing the jogging, since my stamina is awful, but I love doing the weights circuit.

How about anyone else who is on this thread? Are you doing what you love to do or what you hate, but know will get results?
Old 04-06-2014, 09:51 AM   #34  

S/C/G: 180/176.4/155

Height: 5'4"

The scale has been no friend of mine -- today's weigh-in had me right back up to 179.9.

I am going to kick my diet into high gear this week -- any interest in posting daily eating records?

I really vascillate between hyper-focus on eating.exercise/weightloss, and spend most of my time feeling totally crappy about my self -- and then I swing wildly to paying no attention, living my life, eating well but not monitoring calories/points, etc -- and feeling fine with myself and what I look like.

Either way, I weight basically the same -- in two months, I have been fluxuating between 182 down to 176 and back up again. So I am a little lost today, trying to figure out if any of this is worth it. Sigh.
TheFinalFifteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 10:21 AM   #35  

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFinalFifteen View Post
The scale has been no friend of mine -- today's weigh-in had me right back up to 179.9.

I am going to kick my diet into high gear this week -- any interest in posting daily eating records?
If you want to put daily eating records up, I'll support you! I can't commit to doing it myself, though. I get hyper-focused, as you say, when I start logging calories and stuff. I basically go a little nuts.

Quote:
I really vascillate between hyper-focus on eating.exercise/weightloss, and spend most of my time feeling totally crappy about my self -- and then I swing wildly to paying no attention, living my life, eating well but not monitoring calories/points, etc -- and feeling fine with myself and what I look like.
That sounds just like me from 2012! For myself, it took me some time, but I now really love my body in all of its imperfection. I still want to lose weight, look more fabulous, feel more healthy... I just feel that the part about "feeling fine" is more important than anything else. Live life for the now, and all that.

Quote:
Either way, I weight basically the same -- in two months, I have been fluxuating between 182 down to 176 and back up again. So I am a little lost today, trying to figure out if any of this is worth it. Sigh.
It's worth it! Whenever I look at my goals, weight-related or otherwise, and get confused by whether or not I should stick to it, I think of my heroes. I think of people who fought the good fight and eventually won out. They won out over their insecurities, doubts, against naysayers because they were persistent. Even if it took years, they got what they wanted. So, yeah. I think you should keep on it, if losing weight is something you truly want.

Go you! Go us!
Old 04-06-2014, 10:41 AM   #36  

S/C/G: 185/183/145

Height: 5'7"

Happy Sunday everyone!

RVAscreenwriter - That's awesome that you enjoy working out so much! I enjoy the gym once I get there...it's just getting to the gym some days that takes work. I usually do 30 minutes of cardio and then legs or core work. I'm doing a walk/run 5K with some coworkers the first week of May, so I've been training for that too.

TheFinalFifteen - - Sending positive vibes your way! Sorry you're not seeing any progress on the scale today. Hoping this week is better for you

As for me, I've been seeing the effects of weight gain and stress. The scale didn't move this week and I know it was because of the long days I've been working. This week has been crazy, and I even went in yesterday for about 6 hours. So sleep has been intermittent and not very restful. However, I was determined to sleep in this morning, and the scale showed 177.8 pounds! It's amazing what a restful sleep can do.

I'm all for posting daily eating records! I'll post my Sunday eating tonight.

coffeeshopgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 10:51 AM   #37  

Yup on sleep! I've noticed that my weight loss works better when I get enough sleep. Keep the faith, coffeeshopgirl!
Old 04-07-2014, 02:11 PM   #38  
Aloha nui loa

Height: 6'0

I am so close, yet so far from getting out of the 170s. I have 3lbs-ish to go. I want the 160s! And then I want out of there fast, to the 150s! Haha
MauiKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 02:58 PM   #39  

Welcome, MauiKai! Temporarily, at least
Old 04-07-2014, 08:54 PM   #40  

This morning I was 176.2!!! As promised, here's my food journal. Since I prep my food over the weekend, I will be eating essentially the same thing all week. The food prep is so helpful because it keeps my measurements consistent, and it's one less thing I need to think about when I get home.

Daily Food Log

Breakfast: 1/2 cup plain fat free yogurt, 1 cup frozen fruit (thawed obviously), black coffee

Lunch: Spinach salad, carrots, tomato, chicken (about 3/4 cup), olive oil greek dressing with feta crumbles in it, 1 slice of Dominos pizza *I made myself eat ALL my salad and drink some water before I ate the piece of pizza.

Dinner: 4 oz corned beef, 1/2 cup homemade sourkraut, 2 oz chicken, grilled green pepper and mushrooms

Snacks: 1 Granny Smith apple, 1/2 cup Chex mix, 2 oz Avacado, 2 cups balled watermelon

Exercise

30 minutes on the elliptical
Old 04-07-2014, 10:13 PM   #41  
On my way to -70

S/C/G: 202/192/132lbs

Height: 5'4''

Well, apparently I posted in the regular 170s thread in the 100s forum instead of the 30-somethings forum. Oh well.

I weighted in this morning and I was 179.8. Pretty excited about that! I have been in the 180s for what seemed like an eternity. I have been losing 1+ lbs per week after the first two weeks' whoosh when I started last January.

I am pumped to be here but I don't mean to stick around for very long!

Last edited by Paulitens; 04-07-2014 at 10:13 PM.
Paulitens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 08:02 AM   #42  

coffeeshopgirl - Way to go! That's awesome that your scale started cooperating
Welcome, pauli!

I want to look at the scale and don't want to look at the scale. I'm going to wait for a couple of more days until * ahem * "Shark Week" is done, and then I'll see where I stand in the 170s. The other reason beside TOM that I'm a little hesitant to weigh myself is that I just started doing weights again with regularity and just know that the scale will probably go up a few pounds before it starts going down. Even knowing that, I don't want to see it, you know?
Old 04-08-2014, 08:50 PM   #43  

RVAscreenwriter - I so hear you about TOM and the scale. They do NOT like each other, lol. I would give it a week and hop on the scale when you feel more like you. If your TOM is like mine, you feel awesomely bloated most of the week. Good job for sticking with the weight lifting!

Paulitens - Yay for 179.8!! Hang around with us for as long as you need. Keep up the good work

I gave into my craving for spicy carbs tonight and got some Thai Drunken Noodles with pork - medium spice. Definitely feeling happy feelings from the spicy carb euphoria, but it's mixed with a tiny pang of guilt. Yes, I was "bad" but I also logged it into myfitnesspal. Turns out I went 1000 calories over my daily goal.

A part of me is like "So what - you've been doing great the last month! Plus, you'll meet your goal every other day this week. You'll be fine."

The guilty part of me is like "This is what you ate like in the first place, which is how you weighed 190 not that long ago."

So, I'm struggling with those two thoughts right now, and it's probably because I feel so full. In the grand scheme of things, it will probably show up on the scale for a day or two and then go away. We shall see, right?

Happy Tuesday all!

Last edited by coffeeshopgirl; 04-08-2014 at 08:53 PM.
Old 04-08-2014, 11:38 PM   #44  
On my way to -70

S/C/G: 202/192/132lbs

Height: 5'4''

Thank you for the welcome to your thread!

Today I had to jump on the treadmill and jog/speed walk 2+ miles to make room for dinner in my calorie budget. What the heck!? This never happens to me. Anyhow... it's all good.

Paulitens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 08:48 AM   #45  

coffeeshopgirl - I understand that pull between guilt and shrugging about those extra calories. The way I've chosen to look at those sorts of off days is this: It's not realistic to be 100% perfect all of the time. It doesn't hurt to have one day per week where you're a little less-than-perfect.

Beside which, if you bust up that 1000 calories across the week, it's only a bit more than 100 calories per day extra in your diet. Or, if you think of it in terms of calories per pound, it's less than a third of a pound. Basically, so long as you stick to your guns the other 90% of the time, you'll be fine.