Old 08-08-2013, 08:13 AM   #1  
Sailing the Grand Line!

S/C/G: 255/See Sig/130

Height: 5'8"

Default More calories?!

Hey ladies and gents,

I saw my boxing trainer yesterday and he basically laid out this: I am not eating enough calories to build muscle consistently. He said that I should consider adding roughly 300 to 400 calories back into my diet and focusing on lifting to build muscle and tone up and still lose. This terrifies me because I have spent years thinking "less is best." I'd be going from 1450 a day to 1850 a day and he said I could see a pound or two gain as we figure out the calories and I don't like the sound of that.

Have any of you guys ever had to "add" calories to help with weight loss? I guess another part of me is scared that as I add calories I'll be susceptible to binging on junk even though it's supposed to be "healthy fats" that get added.

(x-posted to Calorie Counters, sorry if you see this twice!)

Last edited by Thousandsunny; 08-08-2013 at 08:14 AM.
Thousandsunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 10:43 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 249/ticker/145

Height: 5' 5"

I've upped my calories to lose weight. As far as gaining muscles - you shouldn't let the scale scare you. If your objective is to gain muscle the scale will go up anyways. Focus on your measurements instead....
cosmic wisdom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 05:11 PM   #3  
Mummy-tummy battler

S/C/G: 132ish(290+)/~ticker~/75(165)

Height: 164(5'4")

Listen to the guy, he knows what he's doing. Muscles need protein and glucose (in the form of glycogen) to build up and you need that from your diet. Fat is broken for energy, but you can't use that energy to form muscles because it only yields energy not glycogen. In addition your body has trouble losing and gaining at the same time, which is why people tend to lose fat and muscle at the same time, or find it very hard to lose fat and build muscle. Often people have lose most of their fat to then build the muscle. Basically your body tries to stay in an overall anabolic (building up) or catabolic (breaking down) mode.

What that means is the longer you stay in a calorie deficit state, the harder it is for your body to undergo anabolism to build up muscles because your hormones are telling your body you should be in catabolism to break down fat (and therefore protein aka muscles). Its a very fine balancing act. Hope that makes sense, I happen to be teaching metabolism biochemistry this week so I'm in that brain mode.

Scales are just one way to track, we rely on them too much I think because at first when its just about losing the weight its a real rush to see the change. But fitness, clothes, body measurements are all excellent modes to track as well.

Last edited by jitterfish; 08-08-2013 at 05:15 PM.
jitterfish is offline   Reply With Quote