Breaking through a plateau?

• Hi ladies and gents,
    Well, as the title infers, I am having a terrible time breaking a plateau. I've been stuck at 157 for about 2 weeks now, and have tried everything under the sun to break through. I ramped up my cardio this week and tried eating more, smaller meals (included more snacks like fruit) and such to no avail. Any ideas for what I can try? This is killer on the motivation!
  • Stick to your plan and wait it out. This is most likely to be fluid weight fluctuations that mask your actual fat loss. Fluid retention can occur for many reasons, some within and others not within your control - weather, hormones, sodium intake, hydration, exercise recovery, and on and on. At your weight it will be quite difficult to lose fat very quickly, perhaps half a pound per week. A small fluid retention can easily mask as much as a month's worth of fat loss. It stinks, and I know it's not the answer you want to hear, but it is most likely what is going on. So just make sure you are well hydrated (especially if it is warm and humid where you are) be patient, and stick to your plan.
  • Quote: So just make sure you are well hydrated (especially if it is warm and humid where you are) be patient, and stick to your plan.
    91 degrees with 70% humidity today, so you have a great point! I have been trying to drink more water, it's actually my biggest weakness. I used to drink diet soda like it was going out of style and I cute cut it out two weeks ago in favor of water. But it's hard for me, I'm weird in that I don't really like water. I also have to cut my salt/sodium, I know. So, hopefully, you are right and it's water retention! I will do my best to work on water and, especially, sticking to the plan! Thanks for your input.
  • I know how you feel Thousandsunny...I am at a plateau myself and having a hard time getting through it even with plan and exercise tweaks. I am trying more water and more exercise to see if that helps. Good luck to you!
  • I am also at a plateau of 150 and have been for more than a few weeks. I even workout 5 days a week at the least and eat about 1500-1600 calories and also have a bad day every week, but don't indulge like I would want to. It is not a motivator what so ever. I am trying my hardest to not be discouraged, but it helps to know I am not the only one. I even started eating a tad bit more hoping my body isn't going into starvation mode and maybe I am not eating as many calories as I should. Guess I will stick it out and hopefully drop those lbs in the long run.
  • I have heard eating more is supposed to help jump start loss, but it always scares me. I'm worried I'll have an 'approved over day' and just go nuts. Like I said before, I am terrible with will power. I recently got a fitbit and have been tracking steps and food in and out with MyFitnessPal, so hopefully the meticulous nature of recording everything helps me see where I can break past this! But you're right, it's really nice to know we are not alone!
  • I am so there with you. Seems like it's a natural thing to have a two week struggle of losing weight. I just upped my fiber today in hopes that it will jumpstart things. It's also really hot and humid where I am. I am lucky though cause I LOVE water. I have been also exercising every day with no weight loss. It totally sucks, but I am trying to not let it destroy my motivation. That's why I love this site. It's nice to others and going through the same thing I am. If I didn't see it, I will most likely give up. Which would be awful, since I feel so good.

I am also on myfitnesspal. I love it. What is your daily calorie intake? Have you been stciking to it? I am thinking of not counting my exercise, so I stick to just the 1200 calories.
  • @Mama Whitty: My plan has 1,470 allocated for calories, because my jobs are "lightly active" hehe. I have gone over a few times, but never more than 200 and generally with things that I would consider a wash. Going over my count with apple sauce doesn't worry me. My fitbit integrates my calories burned, but I am a lot like you in that if it "gives me" an extra 200, I try not to take it. MyFitnessPal is awesome, though, I agree!