Shopping Anxiety

• I seriously need to go shopping. But I tried a couple of weeks ago and had a major anxiety attack and felt totally overwhelmed.

I was in Maurices and kept feeling like I was on the wrong side of the store. I couldn't even try anything on because I kept telling myself that nothing would fit. Ugh. I wish I could just do all my shopping online - but I have no idea what size I really need...

Anyone else go through this as they have lost weight? Please tell me I'm not alone!
  • I never try anything on when I shop, I think that alone is what causes me the most anxiety. Picking stuff out, waiting for a dressing room, changing. UGH. I can't stand it.

I would reccomend shopping on line, but yeah you definitely have to get out there and try some things on first to know what size(s) you need.
  • *cheer* I am glad I am not the only one with this problem.

I have never been able to shop in the regular clothes section. I was always in the "womens" section. Now I find that even women's size 16 is too big so I have to venture to the other side of the store.

And, boy, do I feel like an intruder. I promise, you are not alone.
  • Hey! So we're the same height and started/are currently close to the same weight.. You're not alone!! I went to the mall a few weeks back and walking into the right store made all the difference between a good and anxiety-filled experience. You know how some stores carry sizes that run small? Avoid those! For me, on top of getting used to being smaller, nothing feels worse than trying on a M and having it fit in one store and needing an XL in another. That aside, youve done so well with your weight loss that new clothes are a must! Try to enjoy it Or shop online like I ended up doing
  • I absolutely hate clothes shopping. I go once or twice a year to the mall just to see if I can get anything that fits and looks nice that will get me through to the next year. It's frustrating. I hate trying things on. It's like the clothes were built for someone else, but sometimes I can find something that will do. Actually, shopping in a mall makes me feel angry oftentimes, because it's so hard to find anything and I don't really like what's in fashion right now. I hate the short, short sleeves that are "in" now for instance. I just wish there were some classic pieces that were made in sizes to fit all heights and body types. It's particularly hard to find things that fit a tall, curvy woman with a relatively small waist. So, it's not that it makes me anxious, it makes me mad that there are few to no real choices for me.
  • +1 with what Puffin said.

I don't like shopping at my current size. I think the only time I actually liked going shopping was when I dropped down to a size 7 and everything looked great on me.

I usually go shopping on a Tuesday or Wednesday night when there aren't many people around. I pass by the pretty clothes (that I can't fit in or that simply don't look good on me because I'm very bottom heavy) and it makes me feel like I'm wasting my life away....that if only I weighed 'X' amount less, then I would find my dream guy, live my dream life, and truly be happy. Then my logical-self kicks in and cringes because I'm sounding like a 14 year old girl when I'm actually a 34 year old single woman!

I don't really know how to help you, but to just say that you aren't alone with having these feelings and anxiety.
  • You are so not alone! I remember having the feeling when I switched departments and was out shopping that someone was going to call me out and yell "hey you're too big to shop here!".

Anyways, I made a post about it awhile back. For me it's just taken some time to let my head adjust. It has gotten better over time but I think it's one of those things where only time will help.
  • Thanks, Ladies! Glad I'm not alone on this. My husband tried to talk me into going shopping this weekend and I just couldn't do it. So I ordered some new clothes online. I figure, if they don't fit, hopefully the will soon enough.

I know it's just a mental block I need to get past but it's so hard!

Runningfromfat - LOVED that blog post. That is EXACTLY how I feel!!
  • If sizing were uniform I don't think the anxiety would be so prominent. I current have clothing that I considered well fitting over three size range. 4,6,8. You really don't want to work hard all week, drop that pound and then go shopping to find you need bigger size or your boobs don't sit the same way in clothes so that style dress is no longer flattering.
  • Quote: Thanks, Ladies! Glad I'm not alone on this. My husband tried to talk me into going shopping this weekend and I just couldn't do it. So I ordered some new clothes online. I figure, if they don't fit, hopefully the will soon enough.

I know it's just a mental block I need to get past but it's so hard!

Runningfromfat - LOVED that blog post. That is EXACTLY how I feel!!
    Thanks! It does get better. i have to admit that I really love shopping now but it's a lot about experience, getting used to my new body, know what stores/brands work for me etc.
  • Quote: If sizing were uniform I don't think the anxiety would be so prominent. I current have clothing that I considered well fitting over three size range. 4,6,8. You really don't want to work hard all week, drop that pound and then go shopping to find you need bigger size or your boobs don't sit the same way in clothes so that style dress is no longer flattering.
    EXACTLY! I'm so use to shopping in certain stores and KNOW how they fit. I want to know that my size "Z" jeans from one store will fit just like size "Z" from another store!