3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   30-Somethings (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/30-somethings-57/)
-   -   What's for Thanksgiving dinner? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/30-somethings/246389-whats-thanksgiving-dinner.html)

TransformingMyself 11-02-2011 06:56 PM

What's for Thanksgiving dinner?

Hi, Thanksgiving is just around the corner. What is on your menu? We are going to my husbands parents house, they are cooking, but we are looking to make 4 dishes, and desserts (I am not a dessert person, so it is not my weakness ;) )I am looking for ideas. Recipes are welcome! :)

Raine 11-02-2011 06:59 PM

Canadian Thanksgiving is in October so it is already long past for us.

My husband's father and step-mother did dinner. It was curry, very non-traditional :) I don't eat curry though so they made grilled chicken breasts for myself and one other person who also didn't do curry.

So I didn't eat much, but I drank that night like there was no tomorrow, ugh. Weakness: Desserts and alcohol. ESPECIALLY the alcohol, haha.

khumphrey 11-04-2011 11:10 AM

This year I will be cooking at my house. Yikes! Here are some dishes that are a big hit around my family. Sweet Potatoes yum,

Sweet Potatoes,

Get 6 good size sweet potatoes
Brown Sugar
Butter (1 Stick)

Peel the potatoes and slice them, put them into a baking dish
Pour the brown sugar on top about a cup or less
Cut butter into pats and put on top.
Put in oven at 350 for 45 - 60 minutes or until they are soft.

This is not a great Diet recipie but they are so good.

I have been looking online for a great dessert and I have been seeing Pumpkin Cheesecakes I think I might try making one for Thanksgiving. If you need more I will try to think of some!

TransformingMyself 11-05-2011 08:42 AM

Raine, I never tried curry, and yes non traditional. ;) It is great they made something extra for you and the other guest. Sounds like you had a great time! :)

khumphrey, my mom use to make that. It was really good, and yes, not for someone on a diet. LOL It is funny you bring that up. I am making a Pumpkin Cheesecake for Thanksgiving. I have a subscription to Food Network magazine, and they have a recipe in there. It looks awesome! :)

shanhat81 11-05-2011 11:02 AM

I have no idea ... we're going to MIL's.

However, MIL is a good cook, and likes to cook healthy. I am hoping she'll let me make cornbread and sage stuffing, though. That's my favorite thing on Thanksgiving.

Munchy 11-07-2011 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by khumphrey (Post 4096239)
This year I will be cooking at my house. Yikes! Here are some dishes that are a big hit around my family. Sweet Potatoes yum,

Sweet Potatoes,

Get 6 good size sweet potatoes
Brown Sugar
Butter (1 Stick)

Peel the potatoes and slice them, put them into a baking dish
Pour the brown sugar on top about a cup or less
Cut butter into pats and put on top.
Put in oven at 350 for 45 - 60 minutes or until they are soft.

This is not a great Diet recipie but they are so good.

I have been looking online for a great dessert and I have been seeing Pumpkin Cheesecakes I think I might try making one for Thanksgiving. If you need more I will try to think of some!

This isn't a traditional cheesecake, but I made it last year and it was a big hit LINK

I was contemplating trying these this year.

iatejen 11-09-2011 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Munchy (Post 4099707)
This isn't a traditional cheesecake, but I made it last year and it was a big hit LINK

I was contemplating trying these this year.

Those both look so good! I am making desserts for Thanksgiving this year and was trying to find some healthier options that wouldn't disappoint the non-dieting group. The cupcakes might be perfect!

jenne1017 11-12-2011 02:23 PM

Hi all,

I too am trekking north to my in-laws. I am going to make a dessert (this one as I am on South Beach and can make these cupcakes the night before) and make some sweet potatoes (or ask to!). I will have turkey and veggie sides. Should be a-ok!