Closed Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 06:22 PM   #241  

S/C/G: 247.7/224.3/155

Height: 5'8"

Itsmyturn, I love deals! Sorry to hear you are dealing with that. Happy to hear you are using exercise to help cope. Congrats!! We will be celebrating soon!

Jen, ((hugs)) How are you doing today?

Dogdays, Yes, it felt great! I loved hearing it. I hope you are feel better soon. No, not an idiot, it is normal not to run to the dr every time you are sick. I am the same way. I got lucky this last time, or it would have gotten really bad.

As for me, I am doing good. Enjoyed my last day off. Ok, girls if you want a deal, I have one. I just bought 30 Kohls coupons on Ebay, $10 off $10 or more purchase. Limit 1 coupon per person, so bring someone with you (I plan on bringing my son, daughter and husband), or visit multiple stores. The coupons are sent via email (make sure that is how the seller is doing it), each of them have a special code and can be used only one time. Do not buy the auction ending soonest, check through them. They expire Saturday Nov 19. My first auction was 10 for $17, the second one I found was 20 for $23. Much better deal! Think Christmas! You know what I will be doing the next 5 days. LOL

Hope everyone has a good night!
Old 11-14-2011, 07:56 PM   #242  

Girls, I didn't know where to turn, or who to talk to. My husband is in shock. I was just asked something HUGE....my husbands distant cousin (he hasn't seen her since they were children), just messaged me (she came back into contact with the family this past Summer, I haven't met her or the kids), she has been battling cancer (she just told me), has 3 children, son 12 years old, daughter 7 1/2, and another daughter 6 1/2 years old. She asked if we would take the kids, if something happened to her. I told her, I would talk to Joel, and we need to get together, meet her and the kids. See if they like us. This is a huge life changing commitment. My husband isn't sure what he wants to do. I am ready to say yes, because I feel bad for her and the children, but know we really need to think this through. I am just going through all different kinds of emotions.....just thinking of her dealing with cancer breaks my heart, especially going through it with my mom, she didn't win the battle. I just needed to talk about it. It is so hard to stop myself from crying, I do not want my husband seeing me upset/sad. Just didn't expect this to happen. The father doesn't have parental rights, they were taken away years ago, and her close family are not good to her, so she doesn't want them to have them. I don't blame her. So she doesn't have anyone else. The rest of the family, my husbands brothers and sister, are not in any situation to care for more children, they are having a hard time with what they have now. Please give me your thoughts. Am I crazy for taking this on? I am so close to telling her yes, so she can find peace, and not worry, but I know this is going to change our lives. Especially wanting to have a baby. The children will need lots of love/support/time. My brain is all over the place.
Old 11-14-2011, 08:51 PM   #243  

S/C/G: 217/ticker/115

Height: 5'0"

Transforming - wowsers. Definitely a lot for you to process in one night. A huge decision for sure and I'm sorry this stress has unexpectedly landed in your lap. Is there any chance you can spend some more time getting to know the cousin and her children - perhaps your decision will come more easily (negative or positive).

No, I don't think you're crazy for considering it...family is family, but you need to have all your ducks in a row in order to be successful with it since there's a much higher probability of the scenario coming to fruition. Can you afford it (financially, physically and psychologically)? Is your house large enough? Can you continue on with your own hopes/dreams/goals (if not, will you be resentful)? Is your DH 100% in agreement? How do your DS & DD feel about it? Do you have the resources to support the children's needs should adjustment issues come about (intense therapy)? Just a few things to think about.

Good luck thinking it through and keep us posted. Will be thinking of you.
Old 11-14-2011, 10:00 PM   #244  
~Star~

S/C/G: 236.4/~ticker~/150

Height: 5'6"

Transforming - Let me tell you from a perspective on the other end. I was battling cancer and though we all remained optimistic, my doctor did ask that I make arrangements for the children to be smart. I was pregnant for my 3rd and was not "with" anyone... my son would have went to my parents (as he required someone financially stable due to his expensive medical issues, my oldest daughter to her father (this was before we knew what we do now) and the youngest I was lost. My parents told me they could not take on more than one child, and I understood, but had no one else I was close with for family to ask... so it was my best friend. We had differing religious beliefs, different ways, but also so similar in many ways. I asked if she would and she took a week to think about it - keep in mind, no way to know how well they would mesh as my daughter had not been born yet (which is where the danger was... I refused to abort to treat me... it was waiting until after delivery). She agreed and I have to tell you: that alone gave me so much more strength as it released such a burden. I no longer worried for them, though was a bit upset they would be separated, it was still for them. I say... talk it over, make sure it is right for you... you have to be willing for a lifelong commitment and truly be ok with it. If you are, she will sense it and her burden will be lifted, but if not, tell her as soon as possible, as that is the biggest thing weighing on her. You would think it was the illness, but from being in her shoes... it's not, it's those kids. Any consolation, I think you would be wonderful at parenting... and you have a bunch of people here with experience if you run into the unexpected - and support system there in real time too. Take a breath and decide on what is best, not just on emotion (as hard as that is to separate, it's necessary). I am so sorry you all are faced with this situation, my prayers and thoughts are with you all, and her and her little family too
Old 11-15-2011, 07:43 AM   #245  

S/C/G: 244/ticker/135

Height: 5'4"

Jen - ((HUGS)) Hope today is better for you

ItsMy - Great that you found a way to funnel the job into something successful! You'll be below 190 before you know it!

Dog Days - I can relate too. I'm not one to go to the doc much either. Even though there are times I probably should have.

M3rmaid - welcome back! That's the important thing... you are back and committed!

Momwannabe - 20 pounds! What a milestone!

Transforming - wow that's quite a lot to process. The girls have pretty much summed up everything I wanted to say as well but just know that I'm thinking of you guys and DH's cousin's family. Good luck in whatever decision you all come to.
Old 11-15-2011, 11:34 AM   #246  

S/C/G: 217 /*/140

Height: 5'5"

Thanks everyone, I had a mini breakdown two days ago, but I seem to be recovering and am seeing the brighter side of things.

As far as the eating being out of control. I told my good friend that I was out of control, and I really needed to shape up with it, and JUST telling somebody close to me, so it is NOT A SECRET. really helped. I've been monitoring my calories. I think I found my maintenance range, now if I can just drop below it and stay there.

Transforming, that is a huge decision. With things like that, pray until you have peace with the answer. Personally, I would say "Yes, I will take care of the kids". Then, I would leave it in God's hands if it ever came to that. I would pray "God, I don't know what your will is in this situation, but I ask you to guide me.and I ask you to open all doors that need to be opened and shut all doors that need to be shut, and give me peace."

myturn, wow, what an amazing story. I never cease to be amazed by you.

Dogdays you are blasting down the weight loss, why do you need to go to the doctor??

m3, welcome back

gg, thanks for your loving support.

so far, 2700-2800 cs/day. Seems to be my maintenance range, so I will try to drop down to 2300 again, and see how it goes. The important thing here is to get my eating under control...then I can move on. I really wish I wasn't a binge eater. This would be soooo much easier.
Old 11-15-2011, 05:49 PM   #247  

Hi girls, THANK YOU SO MUCH for all of your wonderful posts. It means a lot to me.

Dogdays, We definitely thought about all of that. DH is more worried about me, and what I think/feel. He wants me happy. We do have enough space, 2 extra bedrooms (one is my office, the other craftroom) we have a 5 bedroom house (2,825 sq ft). We can afford to take care of them, we would just have to give up some things (trips, new suv etc). I know the children will need lots of care, just hope that doesn't cause me to lose focus on my health and well being. Thanks for asking all of those IMPORTANT questions, not everyone thinks about it.

Itsmyturn, first off, LOVE your new pic. You look so dang cute! Second, I am so sorry to hear you went through all of that. Happy you won the battle! You are one STRONG momma! Thanks for your insight. I know that will bring her some peace, knowing the kids will be taken care of. Sad that she is going through this, and wondering who will provide/love/take care of her children. I couldn't imagine, that feeling. Breaks my heart. My first instinct was YES, how can I live with myself, not knowing what can/will happen to those kids, if we don't. It will be on my mind forever. I didn't tell dh, because I didn't know how he felt. He wasn't sure, because he doesn't know the kids, and hasn't seen his cousin in over 25 years. Kind of like a stanger to him. I understand his feelings on it. It is a very hard decision to make. Thank you for your help, I really appreciate it.

Geauxgirl, Thank you so much!

Jen, Last night, I asked god to help me. Thanks for your advice.

Dh and I were up late discussing everything. We are able to care for them finanically, emotionally, and physically. Providing a loving and caring home/family. One of our main concerns is, not knowing the children, we never met them, or have a bond/relationship with them. I talked to his cousin, invited all of them out this weekend, she accepted our invitation. I also told DH, we need to keep our relationship moving forward, maybe take them out or keep them overnight at least once a month. Get to know them, and vice versa. I pray that everything is ok with his cousin, but should something happen, I want their transition into our house easy on them. I want them comfortable with/around us. I know they will be going through alot, the last thing they need is a family/home they do not know. I do not know anything on her medical condition, what type of cancer/stage, I figured we would talk about that this weekend, when the kids are occupied with my two children. Oh I forgot to answer that question Dogdays, my daught is fine with it, she just wants to make sure she gets to keep her room....little brat. LOL I haven't talked to my son yet, he was at his friends house. Everyone here is pretty laid back/easy going, they know when we decide on something, we look out for everyones best interest. I am so lucky! Great kids and husband! I am sure after reading this post, you have an idea of what my decision is. I am leaning towards yes, just need to bond with the kids, most importantly, I want them happy, and to like/love us. I always envisioned having a large family. When I read stories of families adopting, multiple children from one family because they lost a parent/s. To keep the children together, it touched my heart, seeing people be so selfless. I know everything happens for a reason. I will keep all of you updated. Once again, thank you thank you thank you so much.
Old 11-16-2011, 06:37 AM   #248  

Transforming - it sounds like your head is in the right place and you and DH are making the decision with the right intentions. I'm so glad to hear that you'll be getting together to meet each other. I wish you all the best - keep us posted. And congrats on your Kohls coupons!! That's a GREAT deal!!!!!

ItsMy - you amaze me with every post. You have been dealt a very full plate in life and I'm in awe at how well you rise above it and juggle everything. You are a survivor in so many ways.

Jen - I'm glad your days are brighter now. I agree...admitting the bad stuff out loud is very cathartic. Glad you found your maintenance point & reset your goals. Good luck!! The upcoming doctor's appointment I was referring to was my yearly physical with my primary care doctor. Currently only my ob/gyn is aware of my weight loss progress (because he monitors me for my Metformin dosage as I lose weight). I'm looking forward to stepping on my primary's scale in February. I'm feeling better with my cold/stomach thing - came and went so I'm relieved. I don't really AVOID the doctor...but I tend to be so busy I take the "ehh, it will pass" approach. Obviously with the bronchitis turned pneumonia, that was a bad call on my part, LOL!

Geauxgirl - I noticed your new low on your ticker...solidly into the two teens!!!!! Keep up the good work!!
Old 11-16-2011, 06:38 AM   #249  

ItsMy - LOVE LOVE LOVE your new avatar picture!!!! You're SMOKIN'!!!!
Old 11-16-2011, 07:22 AM   #250  

Transforming - Your post made me tear up a little. You have such a good heart and I do think you are doing the right thing. Just take it slow and get to know them.

ItsMy - You are such an inspiration to everyone here. LOVE the new pic!

Dogdays - Thank you!!

Jen - Hoping this new attempt will work for you!

AFM, this week has been a bust on exercise front. Haven't really felt like it. I could only do half of my run yesterday morning. So I've been just taking it easy the last couple of days. I do want to try to get back to the gym tonight though. Scale has been firmly stuck on 217. I was really hoping to be under 215 by Thanksgiving but I still have a few days so I need to be more diligent with exercise.

What's everyone's exercise plan for Thanksgiving?

My plan is for us to get to my mom and dad's early (between 6 or 6:30), that way Chris can help dad prep and start frying the turkeys. I'm hoping while they are doing that that I can get my Thursday c25k run in (should be a 25 min one next week... ) Then back to my mom's to shower then start baking! Maybe after the triptophan (sp?) nap I may try to walk around the block or something.
Old 11-16-2011, 07:51 AM   #251  
~Star~

geauxgirl - Thank you I hope to be in the 180s soon What's new with you?

Jen - glad you are on the path to figuring things out, prayers are still coming

Transforming - Thank you for the compliment. It sounds like you and your hubby are on the right path. I know you will be guided to the right decision

dogdays - I don't feel amazing, and to be honest, things are more calm now than they have ever been and it's wonderful. We have our house, running vehicles, no court issues, and everyone's health is being controlled Gotta tell ya, it doesn't suck Thank you so much for the compliment - it's nice to not feel like I am hiding from the camera anymore
Old 11-17-2011, 06:43 AM   #252  

geauxgirl - I think my Thanksgiving exercise will consist of running laps around the island in my parents' kitchen, LOL! DH & I are scheduled to cook this year - normally we'd cook at our house (and use my formal dining room one of the 3 times a year it gets used, LOL!) but now that my grandmother lives with my parents, it's just easier to keep her at their house for the day and cook the meal there. We're in the process of finding a long term care facility for her because she's reaching the point where she doesn't sleep at night and her behavior has become extremely unpredictable. My parents have their hands full right now. But that was a long drawn out story - sorry! Thanksgiving is definitely an off plan day for me. I don't plan to gorge, but I do plan to enjoy small amounts of our traditional menu & dessert. Exercise wise - will probably do some cardio in the morning and then a nice long walk after dinner with the family & our doggies.

ItsMy - I hear you on the camera avoidance issue. I HATE having my picture taken and especially hated it when I was heavier. Which is why I didn't take before pics before starting my journey...I regret that a little now, but oh well.

As for me...milestone today:
Old 11-17-2011, 07:20 AM   #253  

DogDays - What an amazing milestone! And I hear ya on your Thanksgiving plans. Ours can be fairly chaotic as well. Not sure if Chris's parents will be joining us at my parents house either. His dad has Alzheimer's so if he is in unfamiliar territory it seems to make matters worse. We will try to swing by after our lunch with my family to spend some time with them before going to our annual tradition of a Thanksgiving movie.

ItsMy - Such a great feeling I bet. I tend to avoid the camera as well. I reluctantly took some before pics but I'm not brave enough to show, well, ANYONE at this point LOL. Maybe when I can see a more significant difference.

I got w6d3 in this morning and that was rough lol. Today is Thanksgiving for my work and I'm on the party planning committee so it will be rather busy for me today. Hope everyone has a fantastic day!
Old 11-17-2011, 10:33 AM   #254  
~Star~

dogdays - AMAZING!!!!! Great job on such a HUGE milestone! Wow, must be amazing to look back after 60lbs gone!!!!! I have to say, you gave me quite a chuckle picturing you running around the island in the kitchen... sweats on, headband in place, LOL!!!!

geauxgirl - I didn't take any before pictures; like dogdays, I just couldn't bring myself to do it but semi-regret that now. Honestly don't know if there was a little piece of me that didn't think I would be successful and didn't want to look at how I was "destined" to be like??

Yesterday was a LONG day at work due to covering for a coworker. Got home, had supper with the family, and then hit the elliptical. I set it for the Cardio Blast programmed workout... and got my mojo going... so after that one was done, kept striding and set it for the Fat Burner programmed workout... holy adrenaline rush batman!!!! By the end of the second workout, I was officially exhausted It worked though, totally relaxed once I came down off it and it burned a ton of calories...win-win!!!! DH has his first day of work today. He will be on days through orientation, then switch to nights on week 3. Gotta tell ya, I didn't realize how horrible I am at taking care of myself! I got up and coffee wasn't made (cause DH always does that for me).... had to make my own breakfast (weird!), and pack my own lunch...and still totally forgot to take my medicine this morning (he always lays it down in front of me). I am going to have to do a checklist or something in the mornings until I get used to this I haven't had to do this stuff on my own in like 3yrs, LOL!!! He took it over when he started to be the at-home parent and now I am going to have to adjust more than anticipated to accomodate him with his job.... let's hope I make it through,
Old 11-18-2011, 07:55 AM   #255  

Thanks for the congrats girls. It certainly has been amazing to look back at the 60 pounds and think "wow...I really did it". There are many days where I still perceive myself as my old heavier weight, so I haven't really basked in the glory of the loss so to speak. You guys (and my poor DH & kids) are the only ones I celebrate my milestones with. For the most part, people don't mention my weight change, probably because they're worried they'll offend me. So yeah, it feels surreal to me still. This is going to sound kooky, but the absolute weirdest part of hitting the 60 pound mark is looking at my ticker and saying "wow, I only have 22 pounds left to lose". That means I'm "only" 20 pounds overweight. This time a year ago, I'd have given anything to "only" be 20 pounds overweight. I don't take it for granted and I feel very proud and blessed that I've been able to get to this point in my journey.

geauxgirl - My grandmother has Alzheimer's as well, so keeping her at my parents' house where she's familiar is exactly why we're moving our cooking plans to their house this year. It's just easier all the way around. I love that you go to a Thanksgiving movie! We used to do that every year when I was growing up. I hope your Thanksgiving work celebration went well yesterday!

ItsMy - Yup...that's pretty much exactly why I decided not to do before pictures. I was worried that I'd jinx myself into NOT being successful and then I'd be stuck with the evidence of my failure. I'm sure I could dig up some pictures from our trip to Alaska in May (one of me bundled up at a glacier, LOL) and post those - we'll see. I want to get to my goal before I start contemplating anything. Great job with your cardio workout!! My DH takes care of me too...sigh...I'm lost without him when he's away for work. Because we work opposite shifts, he's the at home parent during the day, so he does the cooking, cleaning, laundry, dishes, etc. And he does so happily I might add, and I know I would NOT do it happily, LOL, so I'm grateful he's such a strong team member. I hope your DH's first day of work went well!!
Closed Thread