Closed Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 04:09 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 160/157/130

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkflower View Post
I agree! I am a sahm and one of my challenges is getting dinner ready on time. But the nights that DH goes to work out after work, I always try extra hard to have something ready for him when he gets home so he can go to the gym and have a good work out after work. He gets home at 5pm, and works out at 6:30

My gym has childcare, so I go whenever it works for me. But when I was interning and taking classes last year, it was a real struggle. It's a challenge to work out w/ kids in the house, even if you set up an activity for them!
I'm pretty certain SAHM's and SAHD's are wired differently. Ladies with a SAHD who actually does everything a SAHM would do need to hold on TIGHT to them. My DH doesn't do laundry or clean up either.

What my DH has going is a working farm to take care of. When ever I bring up him doing cooking or cleaning he asks me when I'm going to begin doing the farm chores....touche! (of course many days I would take that deal!)
Old 05-08-2011, 11:32 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 285/211/165

Height: 5'6"

I usually work out as soon as I get home from work (around 5:30 pm). I get up at 5:30 am already, so before work isn't really going to happen. I am a single mom of a 7 year old and he's pretty independent, so he will get a snack and entertain himself while I work out. Sometimes we go for a walk together but usually I do my mini-elliptical and watch tv, and I just got a treadmill so I am looking forward to using that.
Old 05-10-2011, 04:15 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 201/198.6/140

Height: 5'4"

I have a really hard time with this...I have a 3 yo and a 15 month old, and I work full time (I work out of a home office, so at least I don't have to commute). I try to take the dog for a walk every night, but some nights I am so tired I make DH do it instead....so I don't work out. And I don't know if you could call a walk a workout anyways, but something's better than nothing!! Young kids just need so much of your time, it's rather difficult to carve out an hour....and my 15 month old does not sleep well, so you can rest assured I am not getting out of bed any earlier than I have to!
Old 05-16-2011, 04:47 PM   #19  
Happy Vegan

S/C/G: 318.5/Ticker/155

Height: 5.8"

Im at home with my boys too, one aged 3 years and the other 6 months.

When we can we go out for a walk during the day but its not so much a big workout for me when I have to stop to look at every ant etc

So I do my stuff once the boys are asleep. When the weather is nice Ive taken the smaller one in the pram so I can walk or then I go on the exercise bike. I was going to the gym before I got pregnant with my second child but its hard to squueze in now as it was a bus ride away with a limited timetable.
Old 05-16-2011, 04:59 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 270?/See Ticker/185

Height: 5'9"

Yeah, I have a 2 year old and am a SAHM right now. I exercise either before she wakes up or when she naps in the afternoon. Sometimes DH will spend some alone time with her in the evening and I'll either do a fitness video or work out in my garage (we have an elliptical and treadmill out there).
Old 05-16-2011, 06:53 PM   #21  
Fat Chick on a Mission

S/C/G: 216/ticker/150

Height: 5ft 3in

I am a sahm too. To be honest I really don't exercise much because of a spinal injury, but what little I do has always been after I put everyone to bed. Not only because of the time issues, but also because I'm about as graceful as a bull ox and that's when there are no witnesses awake to watch me flop and jiggle and stumble.
Old 05-30-2011, 08:07 AM   #22  
I CAN DO IT

S/C/G: 300/ see ticker/150

Height: 5'4"

Im a SAHM to 3 children and I also watch 1 child. I work out in the evening after dinner I go in my room and lock the door and workout on my wii fit for an hour my kids are ages 11,8, and 3 my husband is home by then and can handle anything that comes up.
Old 05-30-2011, 02:40 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 93/78/65 kg

Height: 172 cm

I'm a working mum with three girls ... 9, 5 and 3. I go to the Anytime Fitness Gym after the two little ones are tucked up in bed about 7.30ish ....

Last edited by HMM3; 05-30-2011 at 02:40 PM.
Old 05-30-2011, 03:54 PM   #24  
Bingo

S/C/G: 270/202.8/165

Height: 5'8

i have two kids, 12 and 7 - i work out with them (walks, swimming) or when they are asleep and I can close my door. although they're older they will still knock on my door and ask me for things. so it's better when they're asleep!
Old 05-30-2011, 05:15 PM   #25  
Hoping for 160 by NYE!

S/C/G: 323/ticker/150

Height: 5'7

We homeschool, so I'm pretty much with my kids 24/7. I manage to work out 6 days a week for 2 hours a day. (Usually only get an hour at a time)

I try hard to be the first one up so that I can get at least some of it done while they're still asleep, but often they are up and around and they either watch, participate, or find something else to do.
Old 05-30-2011, 08:29 PM   #26  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

Before school lets out or after kid goes to bed and I've had a chance to rest before working out. So I'm exercising at like 10 PM! Not the ideal but I tell myself sometime in the day is better than never.

Evening is the WORST time of the day for me. My energy is low. Everyone always wanting something, dinner, bath, homework, SOMETHING. After tending to it all I just want an hour of SILENCE before I contemplate something else. Maybe even a nap!

A.
Old 05-30-2011, 08:37 PM   #27  
Bingo

S/C/G: 270/202.8/165

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevencallmemom View Post
We homeschool, so I'm pretty much with my kids 24/7. I manage to work out 6 days a week for 2 hours a day. (Usually only get an hour at a time)

I try hard to be the first one up so that I can get at least some of it done while they're still asleep, but often they are up and around and they either watch, participate, or find something else to do.
WOW. PROPS TO YOU!
Old 05-30-2011, 10:07 PM   #28  
Hoping for 160 by NYE!

S/C/G: 323/ticker/150

Height: 5'7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcapulet View Post
WOW. PROPS TO YOU!
Thanks. I used to tell myself it was selfish for me to try to take that time for myself, but really it's a service to my family to take care of me so I can take care of them, ya know?
Old 05-31-2011, 11:44 PM   #29  

S/C/G: 230/219/150

Height: 5'7"

I've been a SAHM and a FT mom. When my son was little, I couldn't leave the room or he would cry. He didn't like to be put down either. My husband was traveling at the time, and I couldn't find the time to do much exercising (which is why I'm still overweight after having my kids). I used to walk with him in the stroller, but didn't do it on a regular basis.

Working FT outside the house has helped me set up priorities. I don't like working out at a gym because its one more stop to make, so we bought a great spinner bike that we've put in the living room. Not the greatest looking thing, but it keeps me honest.

When I was a SAHM, I would put off exercising because I could always do it later. I think that's the key really for me -- not just making time for exercise but making it a priority. When my oldest was younger, I could have found the time to exercise thanks to the exersaucer that he loved, but I didn't because there was always something better to do (cleaning, cooking, laundry, etc). I exercise now at night after dinner, and my kids hang out with me. It makes them a part of my weight loss.

Thinking about exercising like this has helped me keep at it even when I'm not losing as much as I would like.
Old 06-08-2011, 09:23 AM   #30  

The gym I go to has a daycare that costs extra but I can drop my daughter off there while I work out, and I have a gym at work, that I can use.
Closed Thread