Old 01-20-2011, 03:14 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 238/227/160

Height: 5' 10"

Default There She Goes Again...

So...I am afraid to let people know that I'm 'trying again' for fear that they'll roll their eyes and be all like, "yep, there she goes again, anyone want to take bets on how long this one lasts?"

I've started off with good intentions more times than I can count. Monday goes great, Tuesday goes great, Wednesday I slip a little and then by the end of the week it's all gone to **** and I don't care what happens through the weekend because I just tell myself it's ok, I'll just start again on Monday.

Today is day 2 of the changing of my life process. I'm reluctant to say diet, because...well, I've tried and failed too many times. In hindsight, I can say for certain that I never gave it my all and my dedication was comparable to that of a dying Yak.

I want to tell people, to try and garner the support...but honestly, I'm afraid of it; which is pretty funny considering I'm usually the fearless one in the crowd. It's really, REALLY frustrating.
DigitalSinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 04:29 PM   #2  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

All I can say is you don't have to tell people if you don't want to. Support yourself! Come here for support- blog for support with the free blogs, etc.

I would say if you keep having problems by Wednesday you are probably eating too little or doing something that isn't right for you. This isn't a diet- it's a life change- you'll never be able to go back to the old way of eating unless you want to gain the weight back.

Maybe if you post your plan we can help you figure out what's wrong?

Good luck!
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 05:10 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 208/ticker/143 - HW: 240

Height: 5'8''

I don't really talk to people about it, not until they notice and mention it first, but I kind of thought about that when I started down this road. I've lost first 40, then 60lbs, before and I wonder how people who've seen me through that think of my weight loss this time. But then I realized, who cares what they think?

And I think the first few weeks are the toughest, especially if you're really doing a major overhaul of your lifestyle all at once. Some people are totally gung-ho and that's when their determination is strongest, others, we realized what a long road it will be and we begin to teeter quite early on. All you can do is take it day by day and keep going!
Laureedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 05:13 PM   #4  

My problem comes from my love of the fried and salty! French fries are one of my most favorite things in all the world. It's a purely mental thing for me. I convince myself that well, if I dont' give myself what I like on occassion, I won't stick with it. Then, I get my dose of "cheating food" and it becomes, "well, I've done it once, what's one more" until I've undone the little bit of good that I accomplished.

My diet plan right now consists of eating 6 times a day, staying within a 1200-1300 calorie range, and balancing my protiens and carbs. I eat salads (which I also love) all day long, occassionally have my popcorn snack to get my chip fix in, but nothing replaces those super tasty french fries.
Old 01-20-2011, 05:15 PM   #5  

Height: 5'5

everytime I tell my husband I'm starting a diet it's all he can do not to laugh.
I don't tell many people anymore.
cherrypie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 05:34 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 197/175.6/145

Height: 5'7"

You absolutely don't have to tell anyone! I haven't told anyone (except you guys). My DH knows, but not the details. (he's in training in another state for the next 2 months). And my gym partner. If you feel that you want their support then tell them, and if they roll their eyes, use it as fire to stick with it.

You seem to have already broken the cycle. You started on a Tuesday. I am a Monday person too. I don't know why I feel the need to start things on a Monday.

I have been doing this now for 2 months. I haven't seen the scale move much, but that is okay. I am taking a different approach this time. I started with working out. I didn't change my diet for 6 weeks. I wanted to get the working out down and into a routine. It seemed overwhelming to me to try to do it all at once (exercising and changing eating habits.) and it hasn't worked in the past. So I continued to eat out when I wanted and cooking the same. After 6 weeks, I started changing my diet. I have lost about 8lbs over the last 2 months. Most of that in the last couple of weeks. I know it doesn't sound like much for that length of time, but I have never been this successful with keeping up a workout routine....ever. Now that I am adding the healthy eating habits, it is coming off so quickly, and that is even more incentive for me to stick with it.

I just wanted to share with you what is working for me because I was exactly where you are for the last 2 years. I went through the exact same cycle that you described.

So bottome line: find something that works for you. and check in here often. We are all here to support each other.
LTs girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 05:40 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 197/175.6/145

Height: 5'7"

Default French fry alternative

Saw this on The View today. I am going to the store to try this. Joy and Sherri said they were great. Will post after I try them myself.

Bake-tastic Butternut Squash Fries

PER SERVING (entire recipe): 204 calories, <1g fat, 258mg sodium, 53g carbs, 9g fiber, 10g sugars, 4g protein
Makes 2 Servings

Ingredients:
1 butternut squash (large enough to yield 1 lb. once peeled & sliced)
1/8 tsp. coarse salt, plus more, optional
Optional dip: ketchup

Directions:
Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

Peel squash with a vegetable peeler. Slice the ends off the squash, and then cut it in half width-wise.

Cut the round bottom piece in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds.

Using a crinkle cutter or a knife, carefully cut squash into spears/French-fry shapes. Thoroughly blot moisture away with paper towels, and sprinkle evenly with salt.

Spray a broiler pan, a baking rack placed over a baking sheet, or a baking sheet with nonstick spray, and then place spears flat on it.

Bake in the oven for 20 minutes, and then carefully flip spears. Continue to bake until tender on the inside and crispy on the outside, about 20 minutes longer.

Serve with ketchup for dipping, if you like. Enjoy!
LTs girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 05:49 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 184/181/160

Height: 5'11"

I don't really tell anyone anymore except my husband and mother. I know that no matter how many times I re-start, they will always be there for support.

Only tell those that you feel would be supportive. If you're so excited about your life choices that you have to contain yourself from shouting from the rooftops, then tell whomever you like! It doesn't matter what they think. All that matters is your own mental state.

And cut out those fries for a couple weeks and you'll suddenly realize that the urge is considerably less. There's lots of tricks to satisfy or at least distract yourself from those bad habits. My most tried and true is to drink water/tea and work out.

GL!
prepping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 12:54 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 236/213/165

Height: 5'4"

Ahhh the Monday diet, I"ve been there MANY times myself! This time around I call it my healthy lifestyle and I started on a Friday. And for the support, I've been coming here to read posts. This place is such an inspiration. And reading other's stories and struggles I can see that I'm not really alone in this battle!
FoxxxyCleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 03:05 PM   #10  

SO good to know that I'm not alone in this! Thank you all. I really don't know that I'm going to say anything to anyone else until I start seeing real results. Man is being very supportive, he even asked me what he could do at home to make things easier on me...and even though the girls at work sit there and poke at me while they devour their McDonalds and fried chicken, they've had encouraging words as well.

I can't say again how happy I am to have discovered this website. I check it throughout the day, read other people's struggles and triumphs and it really, REALLY helps.
Old 01-21-2011, 03:17 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

Plan on having french fries once a week. Any sustainable plan has to have room for french fries, beer, pizza, sushi, cupcakes and cookies. I'm on WW so I have my weekly points to spend on my beer, or sushi or pizza. Not all at once and not every day but at least once a week I'm having something that goes above and beyond my daily points.
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 04:42 PM   #12  

Great insight! I just have to be strong enough to stop myself at once a week!
Old 01-21-2011, 06:54 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 205/201.2/145

Height: 5'5.5"

I know what you mean. I do get some eye-rolls too but I just don't care. That said... you know what has been the most amazing thing?... I'll tell you...

My daughter was diagnosed with celiac (she can't eat gluten - and gets really sick within minutes of doing so). Anyway, this isn't the amazing part, or course... the amazing part is this... it was so stressful in the beginning (which was just last July) that I told my daughter that I was going to eat gluten-free also. She was so relieved that she had someone who was in it with her and it gave me insight to how diffficult it is. ANYWAY, the same people who would roll their eyes at me for another "diet" completely got on board with supporting me in eating GF because I was doing it for my daughter.

Anyway, I just transitioned that into more and more fresh and healthy foods. It made it SO easy to say no to treats in the office - which are almost always with gluten and people were touched by why I was doing it. Now, as I make better and better food choices, I still use that excuse, to a degree - telling them that I am trying to be an example for her for how to eat well, have variety, etc. And, we do have a treats regularly... gluten-free ones, of course, but they really are treats - done on purpose not mindlessly. ...and I work them into my daily calories.

Anyway, not that I am suggesting that you make up a fake diagnosis of something but ... what about a similar perspective? Maybe a relative has diabetes so you cut out excess sugar in support or something like that. Maybe a friend is quitting smoking and you agree to give up soda in support... I'm sure you can think of something. And, I mean do it for real. Nothing has kept me more focused then doing this for my daughter. To some degree it has also kept me from rolling my eyes at myself too! I feel like I have a mission now and the support of those around me - genuine support.
PlumBlossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 03:19 PM   #14  

Plum, you're a great mother! I think it's fantastic what you're doing for your daughter. I've heard gluten free is pretty difficult to get used to, but really great for you once you do.

Pretty good insight too. Quitting, or even changing habits, is so much easier when you've got a partner to do it with.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:45 AM   #15  
Mama on a Mission

Height: 5'6

I am so with you on this one. I am starting over AGAIN...I don't even want to weight myself yet since I know the ticker I have on here is not correct. My hubby is supportive of me but I am sure he rolls his eyes in the inside when I say I have to get back on the wagon with working out and eating healthy. I was going to work out last night and was exhausted from the weekend. Tonight I will have to do one of my P90x dvd's since the hubby will be out playing basketball and someone has to be home with my daughter.

But even through all this, I know its up to me to start again. I also signed myself up for an 8k in April so that is also motivation for me to get back into the swing of things. That and all the support I get from here.

Here's to all of us who are STARTING AGAIN!!
Mitza24 is offline   Reply With Quote