Weight loss in first week really high?

• So, I am pretty sure this is just my body going into shock from me eating right and getting (a little) exercise. But, I started this journey on the 1st and I have already lost 9 pounds! Is this okay? I know this weight-loss rate is probably only for the first week. Did anyone else lose this quickly in the first week? I am super-excited about it, but I am also realistic and want to make sure I'm not doing something wrong!

Emmy <3
  • yes that is normal.
  • I started (re-started ) a healthier lifestyle about a week ago as well and have lost 9 lbs so far. Part of that loss is usually attributed to water weight and will level off as you get into a groove.

Conversely, if you go off plan you might see a sudden gain due to retaining water as so many off plan foods are stuffed full of sodium.

It is nice to see that initial large loss to get you really into weight loss and the healthy eating. Just don't get discouraged when it levels off.

Congrats on your loss so far!
  • Part of the big loss is water and excess bloat- but the larger you are the faster you lose in the beginning.
  • When I first began losing weight in October 2009 I dropped ten pounds in my first week, and 8 pounds in my second 6 my third, 4 my fourth. It didn't actually slow down to a normal rate until the fifth week.

The important thing is if you are eating enough, and feeling fine, and dropping the weight, you are probably just fine. If you feel weak, tired, and just plain off you may need to eat a little more.

Only recommendation I can truly give as I am no expert, is eat when ever you are hungry. It's what I do, oh and recognize what hunger is if you don't already know. Took awhile for me to figure out what was hunger and what was cravings.

Good luck!
  • Quote: Took awhile for me to figure out what was hunger and what was cravings.
    That is exactly what I've had to go through. Am I really hungry for something, or do I just want it because I'm bored, or it looks tasty, etc.
  • Totally normal! I lost 12 pounds my first week!! I say take advantage of it!
  • Thanks, everyone!!! I figured as much, I just wanted to make absolutely certain that I wasn't doing something wrong that would bite me in the rear later!

I do SO enjoy seeing those pounds fall off every day - it's quite the inspiration for a weight-loss kick-off!!!! :-)

Emmy <3
  • Quote: So, I am pretty sure this is just my body going into shock from me eating right and getting (a little) exercise. But, I started this journey on the 1st and I have already lost 9 pounds! Is this okay? I know this weight-loss rate is probably only for the first week. Did anyone else lose this quickly in the first week? I am super-excited about it, but I am also realistic and want to make sure I'm not doing something wrong!

Emmy <3
    congrats emmy... I have hard time to loose weight. It would be very helpful if you can provide me how you loose weight( if possible a web link). and % weight drop. thanks
  • I have always lost a lot in my first week regardless of which diet I'm on.WW I lost 26 pounds my first week Atkins-17,Diet Centre-12,Optifast,-27 the first time and 36 this time.Obviously the heavier you are the more water you have to lose and the loss will slow down once you get into ketoses and start burning your fat stores...at least that has been my experience.
    In my opinion the less wieght my knees have to carry around the better-period.
    blessings
  • Emmy this is normal for most people, the important thing to remember is that even if you continue to eat the exact same way the weight loss will eventually trickle down to 1-2 lbs a week - sometimes no loss depending on exercise, bloating, constipation, etc. --- so when this happens --- keep doing what you were doing, pay attention to you clothes --- if the scale becomes discouraging you may have to hide it for a week or 2 (I did!) -- just stay on track -- choose to suffer the pain of discipline - not the pain of regret and disappointment! LGW