Old 11-16-2010, 09:23 AM   #1  

Height: 5'4"

Default Scale Obsessed! How do you stop?

How do you stop obsessing over the scale number and keep on track with weight loss. I know it's just a number but yet i insist on constantly weighing myself despite knowing all the different weekly changes that can cause fluctuation. I'm living my life based on a number which is crazy.

How do you do away with obsessing about the scale number?
pointspluspioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 09:43 AM   #2  
Mama on a Mission

Height: 5'6

Try measuring yourself instead of weighing yourself. You might not motice much on the scale but if you are working out and your clothes are fitting better, seeing the inches come off is sometimes more rewarding.
Mitza24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 09:51 AM   #3  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

You may think my method is insane but I stopped the insanity by allowing myself to weigh whenever I want. I record it every single morning, but I can weigh any time the fancy strikes. I like to weigh before bed and again in the morning, more for amusement than anything.

Before using this method, it's ALL I thought about all day long. I weighed weekly and dreamed up beautiful weigh ins based on the hard work I'd put in during the week. I dreamed up two pound, three pound, four pound...and oh I-deserve-15-pound weigh ins for the week. I was always very disappointed and therefore always gave up.

So weighing daily works for me. I know all about fluctuations and I know my body really, really well. I do not obsess and I figure I have a good tool in place for maintenance. I can not bury my head in the sand ever again if I weigh every day.

Last edited by Eliana; 11-16-2010 at 10:18 AM.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 10:16 AM   #4  
Absent Minded

S/C/G: See ticker for details. :D

I never had a scale til mid April... But once I got it I decided I'd weigh once a month. First Saturday of the month I stand on that thing and see how much I weigh. It's actually been a steady decline for me since I gave up the junk food and cut WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY back on my soda intake...

But you have to choose a method that works for you. Eliana weighs herself every day because that's how she keeps track of her progress. I do it once a month because that's the best way for me to remember. (Otherwise I'd forget about the damn thing and it'd just gather dust. haha ) Most people weigh weekly and it seems to work for them... Just remember that you're doing this for YOU and not some goofy number on a digital contraption that can double as a doorstop and you'll be okay.

We're here for you if you need us. That's what friends are for, isn't it?
MisfitRycher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 10:27 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 190.2/178.4/150

Height: 5'5

I weigh myself on the same scale we have at work every morning M-F. The only one I "officially" count is Fridays, that is when I track my weight online with Weight Watchers and update my ticker here. Before I started my weight loss journey I rarely weighed myself, mostly because I didn't want to know. I am with Eliana, if I weigh in like I do now I won't be able to ignore gains once I reach maintenance.
Jelma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 11:40 AM   #6  
OMW to a brand new me!

S/C/G: 312/seeticker/135

Height: 5'1"

I weigh daily, and log M-F on a graph. I also track any changes or things that would be different. Birthdays, celebrations, pizza night with the kids, new work out, basically anything "different than the norm". It does a few things, keeps me accountable and on track, and allows me to see what my body responds to.
lazylioness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 12:06 PM   #7  

These are all such great tools to use. Thank you! I too did the measurements as i was spinning and doing so much exercise several months back. But due to moving and unforeseen circumstances it's been hard for me to get back on track at the gym. I used to go no less than 5 days a week, now i'm lucky if i get there 1-2 days a week. Have to get my mo jo back lol! I used to have such willpower, not sure where it went!
Old 11-16-2010, 12:38 PM   #8  
Calorie counter

Willpower. Bech! I never had any. I needed a routine instead. I go to the gym first thing in the morning at 5:30 AM because that is my no-excuse time. If I left it up to will power I'd be at least 80 pounds heavier!
Old 11-16-2010, 12:55 PM   #9  

Funny you say that about exercise in the morning! I've decided to switch from after work to before work. Then like you say, no excuses, and it's done for the day. i remember when i used to do that, i had alot more energy during the day and knowing i could just go do whatever after work was even better!

This site has given me alot of incentive, even if it's only been 2 days!
Old 11-16-2010, 12:59 PM   #10  
Calorie counter

Quote:
Originally Posted by distraught dieter View Post
Funny you say that about exercise in the morning! I've decided to switch from after work to before work. Then like you say, no excuses, and it's done for the day. i remember when i used to do that, i had alot more energy during the day and knowing i could just go do whatever after work was even better!

This site has given me alot of incentive, even if it's only been 2 days!
This place is awesome!! It's how I lost 80 pounds, hands down!
Old 11-16-2010, 12:59 PM   #11  
Mama on a Mission

I wish I could work out first thing in the morning but that's the only time I have to get ready before my daughter gets up at 6:30am. So unless I get up at 4:30am, which ain't happening ever...it will be after her bedtime for me.
Old 11-16-2010, 06:10 PM   #12  
Less than 15 now!!

S/C/G: 220/*ticker*/145

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitza24 View Post
I wish I could work out first thing in the morning but that's the only time I have to get ready before my daughter gets up at 6:30am. So unless I get up at 4:30am, which ain't happening ever...it will be after her bedtime for me.
Morning doesn't work out for everyone - but if you want it - you will figure it out.

When my husband had to work at 7 we could both squeeze it in before he left (and my daycare kids arrived). We just alternate days and get going at 5:15. Now that he has to be there at 6 - we take turns in the evening. He goes when he gets home from work (about 3pm) and then I get supper all ready and go to it after my last daycare kid leaves at 5:15.

You have to do it. It has to be a priority. If you keep doing what you always did - you'll keep getting what you always got.
mortonpixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 06:13 PM   #13  
Mama on a Mission

I just go work out after my husband gets home. That way I can eat with my daughter, spend some time with her, put her to bed and then mommy has her own time at the gym!
Old 11-17-2010, 12:05 AM   #14  
Getting there....

S/C/G: 129/118/68ish thats in kilo's

my kids hide the scale, otherwise i go insane... they know when im allowed to weigh, and i have to go outside to the corner of the yard and they pull it out...

I still havent found where they hide it... but it really helps.
Bluey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 10:45 AM   #15  

Well looks like tonight is my workout! It's pouring here and i was so comfy in my bed lol! My boyfriend and i live togetehr and we are on completely different schedules so it's easy for me to sabotage my own workouts! Now
i've been trying to go after work at 5:30 before he gets up at 8 so that works. Just need to get into that weekly routine. I feel better just after going last night