Will I see anything in the 130's???

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • Well I am slowly working my way through the 140's but it's been tough. For some reason, anything under 140 sounds like a dream to me. But I do hope to get there eventually. Anyone else have any issues once you get around 10 pounds or so to your "goal" weight and hit any trouble spots, either with the scale or mentally? My big goal is to be 135 by Christmas but I am not sure I can get there.

Ann
  • At 5'6", the 130's are in the lower end of your healthy range. Maybe you could work on building muscle - that way you may weigh in the 140's, but will look like you're sitting pretty in the 130's!

As far as being 10lbs from goal...the last TWO times I got there, I got pregnant and started all over, so...yeah, not much help for ya there.
  • lol...that's exactly where I will be too mortonpixie!! By the time I get there, I will probably be trying for baby #2. But at least I can say i got there! Well I am not looking to be 130 but 135-140 would be great.
  • My "perfect" weight is around 135. When I'm there, I like the way I look; distance running is easier but I still have more than enough muscle to do everything I normally do. And it's smack in the middle of the normal BMI range at our height.
    I have not been great at maintaining that weight, so far. I will be there for about a month then something happens (long stressful business trip for a month, etc) that derails my routine and I slide back up. It probably is mental more than anything - it certainly does not require an extreme level of dieting and exercise to achieve or maintain that weight, but I give myself permission to "relax" (i.e., to eat irresponsibly again) and back up I go.
    My sister, who has never been motivated to get or stay in shape, has suddenly begun exercising regularly and eating better and she's already looking better. She had provided me with the motivation to tighten the reins again. After all, if I am happiest at a certain healthy weight, why on earth should I not stay there?
  • Same here JayZeeJay. I feel like I have been stuck the last few weeks but I think my diet has something to do with it. I will do great for 5-7 days and then one terrible day seems to wreck everything. But so far, one week of eating week so hope to keep it up and see and change on the scale come Monday.
  • Be patient. I've been up and down within my last ten pounds for a while now. I'm finding that each pound lost makes more of an impact than it did when I was in the 170s, but I really do have to work for it. I'm using this time to figure out which strategies are going to help me maintain my weight loss.
  • DingoK8 - I love your dog's ears!!!
  • Dingo - What have you been doing for your weight loss?
  • JayZeeJay- thank you, I think her ears are one of her cutest qualities! I'm a fellow animal lover- I have two dogs, five cats, and a foster cat from my local shelter.
    Mitza- calorie counting, portion control, and exercise. I used to to just crash diet, and we know what comes next, so let's say it together: I gained it all back, plus some. I changed my eating and exercise habits in May, so overall I've been averaging 5 or 6 pounds a month. The loss is slowing down, but each pound is more dramatic, so it's an equal tradeoff. This time, I'm being patient and experimenting with strategies that will help me maintain, like making sure I include small treats so that I don't feel deprived.
  • Yeah I think I need to be better counting all my calories
  • I use a website called www.fatsecret.com

I've used sparkpeople and fitday, but have found the database more comprehensive and the website more user friendly on fatsecret. There's also a free app for my phone!
  • Mitza, you don't necessarily NEED to count calories. There's plenty of people on the site who have lost and maintained significant weight loss without counting calories. You just need to find what works for you. It looks like you're doing great so far!
  • I have been there - currently trying to get back. It is possible but it does get harder as you get closer.

You have to be really disciplined and stick with it no matter what. Do what you know works and try not to get down when it goes slow.
  • Mitza, these last 10lbs have been the most difficult part of my journey. In fact I've been trying to lose the last 10lbs since June I'm also about to get pregnant. My DH and I can't get pregnant naturally so we're using a sperm donor and I'm going to have an IUI.

I almost feel a little guilty that I worked so hard to only put the weight back on through pregnancy. But I've made the decision to continue working out while I'm pregnant and I'm going to start seeing a nutritionist to make sure I'm eating properly for the baby. I'm also a vegetarian (a transition that I made during my weight loss journey) so I want to make sure that I am doing everything the right way.

I figure that I've taken this weight off before so there's no reason that I can't do it again.
  • I will be in the same boat as you Hopeful8. Next Spring we plan on trying for Baby#2. But even though after all your hard work, you end up gaining weight from being pregnant, since you will stay active, it should come off pretty easily. I wish I did that the first time around. Instead I was the heavies I ever was then got pregnant. Luckily with breastfeeding, the weight melted off. Hope that happens for you too but I know that's not the case with everyone. Great job in your weight loss and getting pregnant!