Old 08-30-2010, 06:09 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 290/290/147

Height: 5'7"

Default Raw veg and the mature woman (subtitle: well this is humbling)

So I had this craving for carrots and caulflower...two vegetables I love raw. Haven't had them in ages because I usually cut them up, forget about them, and end up roasting them for a side.

ANYWAY, oh but I feel SO bloated. It's not nice. I can foresee this becoming less pleasant as the night progresses. Is this why my mother refuses to eat cucumbers and other crudites even though I remember her eating tons of raw vegetables when I was a kid?

I'm not even 40 yet! I shouldn't be having issues with cauliflower, for goodness sake. Oh stomach, I am sorry I have done you so wrong over the years - I had no idea you would take your revenge.
NiteNicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 10:07 AM   #2  

OMG, it's just me. DELETE DELETE! I take it back!

Old 08-31-2010, 10:22 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 242.5/193.4/170

Height: 5'9"

It's not just you!! I posted a while back that I had overdosed on vegetables. Oh, the pain!
goodforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 11:09 AM   #4  
I'm melting.....

S/C/G: 212/194.3/140

Height: 5'2"

No, it's not just you! It's hit the point that when my brakes make their horrible shrieking noise, my kids say "Excuse you, Mom". I won't go into why exactly they say that. Anybody tried Beano?

Oh, and the brakes' repair part is on order.
kuchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 08:21 PM   #5  

Well, that was not a fun night. I just get bloat and no um...relief. Did I learn my lesson? No I did not. One does not get to 285 pounds by learning lessons the first time! I did have carrots again today, but no cauliflower and only very very few. So far, so good. It's not like I had a whole bunch of carrots and a whole head of cauli or anything, but I guess it was just too much. Or maybe it was jut the cauli?

Glad to know I'm not alone. I mean, sucks for y'all and everything, but when a girl puts it out there like that, it's nice to have some backup.
Old 09-01-2010, 11:47 AM   #6  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

Heck, I've had that problem since I was a kid!! Only my can't-do food apparently changes. When I was a kid it was raw or not fully cooked broccoli. It had to be cooked to death for me to be able to eat it without severe pain. Now I can eat raw broccoli but can't eat spinach. And I love spinach salads! I'm not a fan of cooked spinach.

I get PAIN when I eat these foods.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 11:41 AM   #7  

S/C/G: see tickers

Height: 5'6"

When I'm going to eat something that is likely to effect me that way, I take one of Now Foods (brand) "Plant Enzymes" (no I don't work for them/get ad $). It's gluten-free, soy-free, salt-free, sugar-free, dairy-free, egg-free. . . I find it helps *a lot*.
BlueFruitMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 11:46 AM   #8  
I love my muscles!

S/C/G: 169/149/135

Height: 5' 5 1/4"

I"m so glad you posted this. The last few nights, I've been in so much pain and agony and I can't figure out which food is giving me such gas! lol. I thought it was the Fiber One bar, but I"ve been eating tons and tons of cucumbers, broccoli, carrots & other raw veggies. I'm only 30 and can't believe I have to worry about this already. I never used to have a care in the world about what I ate! ugh
pinkflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 12:10 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 302/ticker/175

Height: 5'5"

Yup, I'm only 32 and the other day I ate a bunch of cauliflower and thought I was gonna die! It was awful. Never thought I'd have to worry about it this young.
fitkristi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 01:14 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 242.5/193.4/170

Height: 5'9"

For me it's the leafy green vegetables. Cabbage (cooked or raw) is NOT my friend anymore, nor lettuce. What's a girl to do?
goodforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 02:24 PM   #11  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

I've dealt with this since I was a teenager (at about 16, I was diagnosed with non-ulcerative colitis - an older term for irritable bowel syndrome).

I have to eat a very consistent amount of fiber. If I eat significantly more or less than my normal, I get sick. The further from normal, the more severe the symptoms. I have been able to increase my fiber a lot, but it had to be very, very gradually.

Each year I do get very sick during Ranier cherry season (I love the little buggers), because every year I forget how much is too much, and I end up with at least a bout or two of what hubby calls "the cherry flu."

Most of the bloat and gassiness caused by fruits and vegetables will resolve if you eat the offenders regularly (for example if you eat beans frequently, you will eventually stop getting gassy, as your body will develop more of the enzymes needed to digest the beans). But if you don't increase gradually, you're likely to suffer more intense symptoms than if you build your tolerance very slowly.

Unfortunately, usually when people have an unpleasant reaction to a food - they avoid it, making a future reaction even more likely. Increasing fiber intake slowly, especially when you're dealing with foods that have had unpleasant consequences in the past, is a lot harder to do in practice than in theory.

Also, I don't know if beano inhibits your body's natural production of the enzymes, or whether it facilitates them. I never had much success with beano, because the tablets upset my stomach worse than the gas the beans created.

Even doctors don't agree on whether people with IBS and other reactions to high-fiber foods should increase or decrease their consumption of those foods. Some doctors advise you to avoid foods that cause problems, and other doctors advise that you desensitize by slowly increasing or at least regularly including problem foods in the diet.

I found that increasing fiber gradually has greatly reduced my sensitivity - but any sudden change and I have problems.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 02:29 PM   #12  
In love with...THE GYM!!

S/C/G: 243/213/150

Height: 5'8"

Definately not just you. When dh and I were dating 3 years ago, I made a dinner that included broccoli and onion. We were watching a movie and I thought I would die. He was worried sick about me lol
I kept excusing myself to go upstairs where I could try and pass gas. No luck and I just had to suffer for the night. It was a long while before I ate broccoli again. I did have broccoli today
julie99s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 05:25 PM   #13  

S/C/G: SW 156/ GW 130

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkflower View Post
I"m so glad you posted this. The last few nights, I've been in so much pain and agony and I can't figure out which food is giving me such gas! lol. I thought it was the Fiber One bar
The WORST thing for me is Kashi cereals! I can not eat it in the morning because by noon, I'm bloated and SO uncomfortable. And the only release is ... well, you can guess! Bigger problem - I teach! And there is no escaping to the bathroom during class!

But, thank God, I am not alone! (Gave up on the Kashi, by the way - blueberry smoothies, and egg muffins are my friends now)
StepSpen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 10:03 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 346/269.5/180

I haven't read the entire thread so if I repeat something that's been said, I apologize, LOL. Broccoli does the same to me. My poor granny, she used to LOVE cucumbers but I'll never forget one day she said, after eating a large salad just FULL of cucumbers, "I looooooooooove cucumbers, I could just eat and eat them forever. But after you leave I'll be in the bathroom just a-pouting till my heart's content." LOL
Natasha1534 is offline   Reply With Quote