Old 08-18-2010, 04:00 PM   #31  

Height: 5'0"

Sometimes I'm scared to comment when I notice someone has lost some weight for fear of offending them! The nerve of some people.

My favorite (even though it's not weight related) is, "Why are you still single?" AGGGGGG!!! I dunno, why are you still dating an ugly idiot???
leannerenee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 04:21 PM   #32  
MasterHarper

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnAndOn View Post

I used to work at a coffee shop, and one day I was waiting on a girl in her 20's who was very pretty but obviously overweight. She ordered a coffee and a pastry and then sat dowm at a table. There was a woman in line behind her, and when it was her turn to order she muttered to me "Do you see what she's doing to herself? It's disgusting. What a shame".

It was like I had a pass into the secret wold of thin people, and because I was thin at the time, she had included me in that world, not knowing that I was a newbie. I felt like a fat girl undercover in a skinny person's world.

All I could think after that was that she had unknowingly said those words about me, too, and I wondered what other types of fat-bashing remarks go on that we just never hear...
I have heard fatbashing comments too. It really bothers me - although I do challenge it whenever I hear it. I am still that fat girl inside and I can't help thinking that if they wouldn't have said it to my face when I was fat, they shouldn't be saying it at all.
Robsia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 05:09 PM   #33  
Jiggle, BE GONE WITH YOU!

S/C/G: 256/185/170

Height: 5'6

Quote:
ok... I work for a thrift store... my boss who is UNDER weight, and catty towards me, found a donated scale, and took it around to everyone to see what they weighed ( i work mostly with women ). She of course ignored me during all this, knowing I am working on losing weight. Can you believe that. She talked super loud the whole time. "What do you weight liz?? wow Irina, only 120". Unbelievable.
Your boss is a hateful woman.
dietcokehead98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 05:11 PM   #34  
Jiggle, BE GONE WITH YOU!

S/C/G: 256/185/170

Height: 5'6

I used to smoke, and I was a very aware smoker-never blew it on anyone or near anyone (intentionally), never smoked near kids, babies, people with oxygen or whatever. Anyway, I remember smoking outside one day and someone getting in my face and saying "YOU KNOW SMOKING IS GOING TO KILL YOU!"
I feigned surprise and said "No!! No! NO, IT IS?! OH MY GOD" and continued to puff away. People can be such jerks about things that don't concern them at all.
dietcokehead98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 09:42 PM   #35  

S/C/G: 295/tkr/195

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by leannerenee View Post
My favorite (even though it's not weight related) is, "Why are you still single?" AGGGGGG!!! I dunno, why are you still dating an ugly idiot???
This is exactly what I think in my head!!!
Jen516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 08:15 PM   #36  

S/C/G: see tickers

Height: 5'6"

I visited thinville, or pretty close to it, in my early 20s - I've been kinda mad ever since about how much better the customer service is in thinville. Strangers make eye contact and *smile*. (I still get some eye contact and friendly faces, but not as many.)
BlueFruitMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 08:39 PM   #37  

S/C/G: 243/186.5/160

Height: 5'8

You are hilarious Love the doc response. I wish I had thought of that when I was asked the same thing.
TOO FUNNY!
toughchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 09:00 PM   #38  

S/C/G: 364/ticker/199

Height: 5'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by leannerenee View Post
Sometimes I'm scared to comment when I notice someone has lost some weight for fear of offending them! The nerve of some people.

I really think it's best if we all just say what we are thinking. Honestly, if these "friends" think they have the green light to tell us how fat we are, or how sad it is that you're single, then we have a green light to tell them what an egocentric callous jerkoff they are.

As far as the doctor comment, they DO need to talk to you about weight loss, but the approach sounds ridiculous. My doctor would just say, "Your BMI is X, and this can lead to serious health problems. Are you currently monitoring your calories? How much physical activity do you get? Would you like a referel to a nutritionist?" I prefer this no-nonsense approach where I am being treated like an adult, not spoken to like I'm a naughty 8-year-old.
Sonata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 01:37 PM   #39  

S/C/G: 285.2/285.2/185

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by dietcokehead98 View Post
I used to smoke, and I was a very aware smoker-never blew it on anyone or near anyone (intentionally), never smoked near kids, babies, people with oxygen or whatever. Anyway, I remember smoking outside one day and someone getting in my face and saying "YOU KNOW SMOKING IS GOING TO KILL YOU!"
I feigned surprise and said "No!! No! NO, IT IS?! OH MY GOD" and continued to puff away. People can be such jerks about things that don't concern them at all.
I can really appreciate your stance on this. I'm one of those annoying nonsmokers who believes there shouldn't be smoking sections in any restaurants because people shouldn't be allowed to poison the air around people without their consent. But I don't give a rat's patootie if someone smokes outside in the open air or in their own homes or whatever. Obviously that person is aware of the dangers of smoking and it would be stupid for me to tell them. I just get mad if I'm exposed to the same danger through no choice of my own. I'm allergic to it, too, so I get terribly sick if I breathe it in -- runny nose and headache for days.

This is why I don't understand why people feel the need to tell people what they're doing wrong in their own lives, whether it's smoking or overeating or whatever. If it doesn't infringe on your rights, then don't worry about it!! It would be different if it was done in a loving way, but so often it's more about that person feeling superior.
LisaMarie71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 09:29 AM   #40  

S/C/G: 215/see ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
and my favourite (usually from doctors/nurses) - Are you aware you are very overweight?? - i always demand to see a mirror when they say that and look totally shocked.
I love that!!!

I was just complaining about my thin sister on another thread, so I will post one of my favorites from her "I can leave my boyfriend here with you, I don't have to worry about you two hooking up". What? Sounds like your issues sweetie, not mine!
nicolejoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 12:11 PM   #41  

Height: 5'0"

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolejoy View Post
I was just complaining about my thin sister on another thread, so I will post one of my favorites from her "I can leave my boyfriend here with you, I don't have to worry about you two hooking up". What? Sounds like your issues sweetie, not mine!
I would have punched her. DEFINITELY her issues.
leannerenee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 01:32 PM   #42  

S/C/G: 215/see ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolejoy
I would have punched her. DEFINITELY her issues.
Ha ha thank you!! Sometimes I want to punch her but she is just clueless, she is a sweet girl and my BFF usually, just puts her foot in her mouth a lot. I'm chalking it up to her being clueless because she's only 24.
nicolejoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 01:46 PM   #43  

S/C/G: 171/171/125

Height: 5'0

Angry whens the baby due?

[QUOTE=Peaches5577;3364779]I know this feeling all too well.

But......the kicker? Went to a dinner party at my Moms house a couple of weeks ago. Got out of the car, walked toward she and the guest (a family friend) and first thing she pointed out in front of everyone is how fat I have gotten. Gee, thanks Mom.
[QUOTE]

Peaches sadly i think i go thru this with my mom once a month! Her favortie comment is... "Are you pregnant" followed by a poke to the stomach! ahhh!! I hate it!! it drives me nuts. I respond "No mom i'm just fat! Thanks for reminding me!"

Or another rude person while i was shopping 3 weeks post partum, shopping with a new born walks up to me and ASKS WHEN THE BABIES DUE!!! I pointed to my daughter and shouted "she was born 3 weeks ago!" I was horrified!! People just need to keep their mouths shut!

a happy dance for every 5 pounds!

Last edited by Pandabear; 08-25-2010 at 01:47 PM.
Pandabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 02:26 PM   #44  
Aspiring Loser

Height: 5'9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueFruitMomma View Post
I visited thinville, or pretty close to it, in my early 20s - I've been kinda mad ever since about how much better the customer service is in thinville. Strangers make eye contact and *smile*. (I still get some eye contact and friendly faces, but not as many.)
Isn't that the truth! I was simply amazed at how much better I was treated in CS situations as well as daily life when I was a resident of Thinville.

As for the rude comments thing.. I have a few!

After being in Thinville I gained some of my weight back (probably got up to about 190) and became pregnant with twins. When it came time for me to deliver I had packed on a ridiculous amount of water weight and general baby weight. Complications happened and I ended up having to have a C-section. When preparing me for this my doctor said that normally they do a small horizontal cut, but because of the twins factor he was going to do it the old school way and do a rather long vertical cut but that "It won't matter what it looks like because you're a big girl, anyway."

I was floored. About to give birth to twins and he chooses NOW to call me fat? Not great timing, dude.

Another pregnancy related slap in the face. Discussing stretch marks with my (also pregnant) friend. She says "but.. you don't have to really worry about that since you were fat before you got pregnant!" She said it all cheery too like I should have thanked her for pointing it out. In that case I don't think it was intentionally rude, so much as thoughtless.
mamadoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 12:58 AM   #45  

S/C/G: 223/215/167

Height: 5'7"

I totally get you
Cronopia is offline   Reply With Quote