Old 06-14-2010, 03:25 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 222/217.1/130

Height: 5'5"

Default Clothes

Ugh I feel so gross in my clothes everything is so tight and really doesn't fit properly and it makes me want to be anti-social. At the same time I really don't want to buy bigger clothes....I am trying to lose weight! Should I just buy a few things or suck it up until I drop a few more pounds!
Evee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 04:10 PM   #2  
Finding Me Again

S/C/G: 235/212/140

Height: 5'3"

In the same boat here! I did actually buy myself a few items, just to get me through the summer as I'm losing. I just got fed up with looking frumpy and uncomfortable in my clothes. I figured that I at least deserved to look pretty and feminine, even at my current weight. I wanted my daughters to see me looking happy and confident in my clothes, instead of looking depressed and unhappy about how tight my old clothes fit or looking dowdy in overly baggy clothes.

If you can afford a few nice pieces, I say GO FOR IT!!! Losing this weight is hard enough as it is. No need to add the misery of wearing out of date, non-flattering and ill fitting clothes on top of it! At least, that was MY thinking! And buying clothes that fit you right now doesn't mean that you'll STAY this size. They'll just make you feel and look beautiful (which you indeed are in your profile pic!), while you're shedding the extra pounds.
olivia627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 04:17 PM   #3  
Finding Me Again

Oh, one more thing. The items that I bought have enough give in them for me to wear them as I'm losing...if that makes sense. And I bought the cutest summer dresses from Target, size XXXL, that can be taken in as I'm losing. Remember that most, if not all, items of clothing can be taken in by a good seamstress, so you can get as much wear out of your clothes as possible. I'll be asking my Mom to do mine!!! Good luck with your decision!
Old 06-14-2010, 08:51 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 256/242/165

Height: 5'4

i agree... Buy a few garments that make you feel good
cocomama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 11:47 AM   #5  
Fiercely Determined Chick

S/C/G: 217/see ticker/145

Height: 5'9"

You should do things that make you feel good about yourself, because that is what this is about....doing good things for yourself. If the new clothes make you feel good, then go for it. You deserve to feel good.
AFChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 01:07 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 235/see ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

Go for it, buy a few pieces you can mix and match... it will make things easier to handle as you are losing. Have fun with it!
bensempress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 01:25 AM   #7  
MasterHarper

Height: 5'5"

I am going to be the voice of dissension and say no! One of the things that makes me realise when I need to be more careful is when my clothes start to feel tight again.

I will never ever buy anything bigger than a UK size 8 again - if they start to get tight, it is I who has to change, not my clothes.

Get serious about losing weight, stop playing at it, and the pounds will start to drop off.
Robsia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 08:58 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 206/141/139

Height: 5'9

Personally if I bought bigger clothing then I would just end up letting myself gain until they were snug and then a vicious cycle starts. I would drink more water, exercise more and really watch what I was eating and i bet in no time you will see your clothes fitting better.
lauralyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 09:50 AM   #9  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

I have no desire to be in ill fitting clothes but I don't think I'd buy too much in the current size.

My first few purchases were workout clothes that fit at the size I started at. Just to get me moving in the right direction, but in clothes that fit. Then I bought more clothes when I hit the first -10 lbs goal.

A.

Last edited by astrophe; 06-16-2010 at 09:50 AM.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 06:53 AM   #10  
Because I Can

Height: 5'6"

You know, I have been having to donate all of my bigger clothes to charity. With so many of us losing weight (and especially if we're only wearing them until we shrink to the next size) we should do a clothing exchange. I would have totally been willing to ship my 18+s to someone who would use them rather than the Goodwill.
MelO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 08:28 AM   #11  
Finding Me Again

MelO, FABULOUS idea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This past Memorial Day, my husband's family had a cookout and I watched all of the women (of all sizes) in their cute summer outfits and dresses. Know what I had on? An over sized t-shirt, workout pants and sneakers. I felt and looked like a slob. I didn't have any summer clothes that fit me.

A clothes exchange seems perfect for those who don't want to buy clothes in their current size. And for those who do choose to, there's a place to pass them on to someone who could really use them.

Excellent idea!
Old 06-17-2010, 09:01 AM   #12  
Finding Me Again

Just a thought: I'm having some lower back pain, and was just searching for back supporters on Amazon, and stumbled upon GIRDLES!!! Have you tried them? They might work to help you fit more comfortably in your clothes while you're losing.
Old 06-17-2010, 06:52 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 256/242/165

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelO View Post
You know, I have been having to donate all of my bigger clothes to charity. With so many of us losing weight (and especially if we're only wearing them until we shrink to the next size) we should do a clothing exchange. I would have totally been willing to ship my 18+s to someone who would use them rather than the Goodwill.
what a great idea! I might look into starting something like that in this neck of the woods
cocomama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 12:14 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 210/198/155

Height: 5'6''

A few women in my office are also trying to lose weight, so we're going to do a clothing exchange next month. We're going to turn it into a party :-)
SoonToBeHealthyHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 01:37 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 158/153/130

Height: 5'4"

A coworker stopped by my office this morning and suggested doing a clothing swap at the office. There are several of us that are in our 20-30's and wear similar sizes. One recently moved and brought in a bag of clothes that we all picked thru to see if we wanted anything.

My problem with my clothes and participating in a swap, I end up wearing my clothes out and they are trashed by the time I finally give them up.

Anyhow - on to the OP. I'm wishy washy on the subject of buying or not. On one hand, that is what got me into the weight I'm at. When I lost my weight the first time around, I kept a couple things in bigger sizes, as it was always a moral booster to put on something that fell off, and I'd just stick it back in the closet and forget to give it away. But then, as I gained my weight back, my regular clothes started to get tight, so I'd go to the bigger, loser ones and I'd be ok. As those got tighter, I kept telling myself I'd lose weight but would buy a couple items in larger sizes or that fit me better and evenually the lbs snuck back on. Over the course of a couple of years I gained 20lbs from my maintenance level because I was complaicent about the clothes.

This last time around, when my "fat" clothes got too tight, I said enough and I'm going to try and get back to my maintenance weight. I won't allow myself to buy new clothes.

Although, if you find you must - try goodwill. You can get yourself a couple outfits that are gently used. And they will be that constant reminder that you need to get on the ball to lose weight.
chnkymonkey is offline   Reply With Quote