Closed Thread

Old 09-15-2002, 08:06 AM   #1  
Moderator - 30 Somethings

Talking Week of September 15

Good Morning all!! I'm up early again

LA: Geeze, sorry about the place. I've no idea what your options are but surely you have some. I would be sure to take LOTS of pictures/videos or something to prove your point. That way it won't be your word against theirs.

Hope everyone is having a GREAT weekend.
Old 09-15-2002, 08:41 AM   #2  
LBH

S/C/G: 279.8/276.9/170

Height: 5'10"

Hi All,

Karen- You're probably bloated. That's how I started out.

LA- Sorry to hear about the slumlords. When we moved into our place, the landlords, an older couple, assured us that we could move right in, they would make sure it was clean. Well, we had 2 weeks overlap between the old place and here, and we scrubbed this place. It was surface clean, but things like under the fridge and stove, places that are harder to get to, the windows, were all disgusting. Alot of times older people don't see all the dirt, ya' know? Definitely check with someone at the town, and see if you have any rights? They may say, well, didn't you check to see if the windows worked, or didn't you discuss broken screens, or the details of as is? I hope that you will be able to do something about it. Maybe you can make a list of everything that's wrong, such as the screens, dirty carpets, etc. Then sit down and diplomatically talk with the landlords. Maybe see if they'll split costs with you, or maybe they can pay to replace the screens, and you can have the carpets cleaned?

Yesterday DH brought home a bassinet that his parents bought us at a garage sale. It's in great condition and I washed the cover and sheets that came with it. I told them we had a cradle from my brother and SIL, but I guess they weren't listening or something. Whatever, now we're stuck with both. Since we won't have the crib until around April, because one of brother and SIL's friends is using it, I guess we'll just put the cradle in one room and the bassinet in the other (our room and the baby's room).

Have a great day all!
Old 09-15-2002, 11:32 AM   #3  
Working on Weight loss!!!

Good Morning!!!We bought the baby bed and mattress yesterday,,I decided to set it up soo that SD#2 will be use to it and maybe it won't be a big deal in Dec...

La--It seems like U definately have some rights...What a disaster..Keep us posted and take care of yourself...

Karen-I am with Lauren..THe first few weeks are bloating really bad...It is weird how your stomach will shrink after the first 10 weeks and then it becomes baby...Get some rest!!!I remember those days well...I had 3 months of first trimester, 3 months of not pg, and then 3 months of first trimester again!!! Poor DH, we have had a different life this first year of marriage!!!!Hope U R still feeling good!!!!Take it easy!!!!

Have a great weekend!!! I am off to the healthclub to do some excercise!!!!
RR
Old 09-15-2002, 03:19 PM   #4  

hello!

Still working with my own new eating plan and I'm liking it. Want to stick to whole foods as much as possible and just be healthy.

RR - love the picture (avatar or whatever it's called!). ~ Great that you keep up with the scrapbooking.

Karen - permanent retainers seem to be very common now. I actually have 2, one top, one bottom. And I also have one I sleep with. ~ Be sure to get plenty of rest.

LA - sorry to hear of your troubles at the new place! Good luck.

Has anyone heard of "heat yoga"? Where you do a full yoga workout in rooms of 100 degrees or more. Sounds nutty to me - I don't like it so hot!

Rabbit
541.57 miles

Last edited by Rabbit; 09-15-2002 at 03:24 PM.
Old 09-15-2002, 04:33 PM   #5  
Donna

Hello All,

I can't believe how busy it was here last week, and that I hadn't posted since Mon and had to read so much. Oh well not being on the 'puter at work means I have to make the time and I don't seem to do that.

On the weight loss (or not) front we missed WW this week because I had to work and we're going to miss next week because we have an apt. I've decided it's time to "sh*t or get off the pot" so I'm committing to "knuckle down" when we get back from vacation next week and REALLY follow program, and if I don't loose 10 lbs by Christmas to give up and try to re-evaluate what I need. I know the program works it's worked for me before, and I know I can do it, I've done it before, I just can't seem to get moving....

I'm going to try to remember what I read from last week, so if I'm screw up, or miss anyone I'm appologizing in advance:

LBH - Glad DH is at least listening to "different" things, he needs to remember 100 years ago no-one went to the hospital or had a doctor present at a birth, so this really isn't that differnt.

Liz - I read your post to K and he wanted to know if your DH was angling for a swift kick? I guess I'm lucky. Good luck getting it all worked out, and congrats on getting a workout program started.

RR - Too funny about the razor incident. Sad to say but I've done that myself (maybe its an MTU grad thing ) Glad you're progressing along well.

Elise - We'll be in your neck of the woods this week, we're going winery touring near Niagra-on-the-Lake and then to Stratford for a play, not enough time to head into Toronto, but I love it there.

Karen - Maybe your doctor was up all night at a delivery, I know my first OBGYN who was great was awful one visit because she'd been up all night. Hope your mid-term was successful and good luck on the last 6.5 weeks.

Jul - Hope your vacations fun and your show is succesfull.

GG - Your posts always make me smile. What do you do for a job again? We were watching a show on making Ouzo the other night and thought Greece looked like a great place!

LA - Sorry about the apartment. I'm sure there are avenues to get it straightened out. Good Luck.

Rabbit - Good luck on the new plan. I'm a carbo junkie I don't think I could handle a low carb plan.

Well, I need to go clean out my car, before we take it on Vacation, I know there's a floor under all that junk somewhere.

- Donna

PS All you people shopping for Christmas are scary . I've still got our anniversary, my B-day, my mom's B-day, my sis and BIL's b-day's, one niece's B-day and my MIL's B-day before I go there!!!
Old 09-15-2002, 04:35 PM   #6  
Donna

Oh yeah I forgot,

Someone asked me where I was in MI. I live in Dearborn which is a suburb of Detroit (sort of).

Also has there been a problem with people selling stuff that they've put that warning on the reply page?

- Donna
Old 09-15-2002, 08:21 PM   #7  
Moderator - 30 Somethings

Hi guys. We had a pretty fun day. We went to the NJ State Museum. It's like a natural history museum that pertains to just NJ stuff (dinosaurs found here, that kind of stuff) and a planetarium. I'm sorry to say that I fell asleep during the show . I must be very entertaining company.

RR/Lauren: I think you are right about the bloating. I had thought about that myself today because the top of my stomach is SO hard (and it's not because of muscles!!). We had fajitas for lunch and I had too much. Peanut has not been happy with me!
I started cleaning out the guest room. It's gonna take me til the baby gets here to get it cleaned out. Guess a bunch of the stuff is going to have to go into the attic. I hate that cause it's really hot up there.

RR: That heat yoga thing sounds awful. When I get hot I can't breathe. I don't think I would like doing yoga under those circumstances.

Tech: Have fun on your vacation. Where are you going?

It's only 8:30 but I think I'm going to bed!! Have a great tomorrow!
Old 09-16-2002, 05:11 AM   #8  

Wink Beat ya to it today, RR you early bird

LA, I'm SO sorry for you! I'm sure the girls can help you on this better than I can, I don't know what the US laws on this case are. Meanwhile, try to make your home livable by scrubbing away whatever filth you can, take pics etc like the girls said, and see if you can possibly get away if you really can't live in the place, and break the lease. Good luck and hang in there! Let us know what's up! I'm looking for a new place too, somewhat closer to my gran, but I realy fear situations like these!

Baby Girls, I agree with Elisa, I like hearing how all you PG girls get along, very useful too!. I remember finding THE dr Spock classic bestseller from the 70ies about raising kids somewhere in our home library, and asking my mom about it: she apparently got it from well-meaning friends, had only read the first page, and then filed it on the top shelf so she wouldn't have to look at it. With a little help of common sense, discipline and my dad (who, although being Greek, a DR, so always running around, long hrs etc), and who would still find time to feed all four of us and take us out on a sunday, we turned out kinda OK (OTHER peoples words!!!!!).

LBH, you were really lucky with the car! It could have been much worse. Very funny about the two cribs, you'll find good use for them!

Rabbit! Congrats on the eating plan! I have not been very OK, eating good stuff but too much, BUT: remember saying that my sis was starting on WW about 3 weeks ago: well, she's lost 8 pounds so far! I am sooo proud of her, she really had a hard time making up her mind but she's doing very well (I told her this on the phone yesterday), and she's exercizing too!
About the teeth thing, my dad is a dentist (maxillofacial surgeon actually) so he used to do all our teeth too (now my sis is a dentist so she's taken over the easy stuff), and it used to be like: "open your mouth and shut up!", on saturday or sunday mornings... I have to get a root canal done (again) which has started to play up after 5 years, but I'd have to get to the Netherlands to have it done by dad, and I really don't know when I can make that happen .... Fortunately it doesn't hurt and isn't THAT urgent (he saw it when he came over).

Tech, nice to see you back! Good start with the program! I cannot imagine doing your X-mas shopping at this time of year!!!!! I have just bought a very nice present for a couple that's getting married next week (naturally scented candle set, they have EVERYTHING else + they're loaded and she's into art and Feng-Shui so I think it's an OK choice!). I'm in Consulting (software and systems for large companies), but as boss also does several other things, I also dabble in PR, Marketing, whatever I need to do...I like ouzo, but only when it's summer and really cold with LOTS of ice, and with mezedes (tidbits) to go with them, YUM!

Karen, go easy on the cleaning, you still have another 7 months! I like May babies, I'm one myself! Glad you're used to the idea now! My mom said that she wasn't too happy when she got PG so fast and so much, but would not have traded us in for anything afterwards (Nice thing to remember her by) She also said having babies was no big deal, just like having really bad period cramps, and my dad said that she would do accounting in between contractions!!!!

PS, I hate accupuncture and other needly things and can only stand them when my dad does them (not even sis).

OK, this weekend's saga: I went to Nafplio (about 200 kms from athens, like 130 miles) again on Friday, and showed these Dutch People around: They want to buy some land and build a house on it somewhere in the countryside. It was a really nice warm (although a bit rainy), and I had a nice look around in Nafplio, which was the first Capital of Greece after the Freedom fights against the Turks in 1821. It's really cute still, with a HUGE castle on the hill behind the town, and on the seafront. There also is a really nice story about the first potatoes arriving in Greece around 1830. They were put on the main square for anyone to take in a huge pile. Nobody took them, as the general reasoning was that if they were for free, it couldn't be much...And the potatoe heap stayed where it was...Until somebody put some guards to "guard" the potatoes (they were there to "look the other way"). Next day results: not one potatoe left! They had all been stolen by the locals...
When I came back in the twilight and with thunderstorms around me (not on me???), I passed the same fig tree and yes, had another go at it, this time pulling the branches down with my hockeystick. I got some, but also lots of sticky sap all over me from pulling. I ended up sleeping in my appartment and next day i had a swim and went to see an aunt who is a writer, we went to her village (this means: the one she was born and still has a house), and she had me get MORE figs and Grapes etc from the garden (are you feeling queazy, well I was!). I then went home to Athens and had a balcony BBQ with my best friend, who has just bought a new appartment, very nice (we almost all live in apt's here, not much room, and lots of building going on).
Sunday I: went to my 1 gran, saw the other one too, went to visit my cousin and little niece (also a Vassiliki) who had her 4th BD yesterday. I found my gran, who is 96, a lady to look after her (my gran is very difficult and lives alone, not many old-age homes here, people are either looked after by family, not an option here unfortunately, or 24 hr ladies/nurses), and went (finally) see my uncle. We went out for dinner and I got home at 01.00 (pretty early, huh?!). This sounds like 3 people's lives put together, geez!
(ex?) BF was very nice, actually, too (how long, how long?), did all the shopping (including sponges, washing powder) AND did the dusting and washing, etc, which makes me think that being mad may have had some effect after all. I still want him to look for his own apt. though, and see what happens after. For the moment, I feel better for letting rip and being my mean and assertive self, and am slightly happy at the change (how long, how long?) I'm seeing. Well, they have a saying here: They can' be apart and don't go together...

Phew, you're eyes must be tired now! leaving the stage, lots of love!

Vassiliki
Old 09-16-2002, 05:12 AM   #9  

promise I wont post again till day after tomorrow! Also have a look at: www.disgruntledhousewives.com, watch out, kinda wicked sometimes but funny!!!!

MWAH To all, V.
Old 09-16-2002, 07:28 AM   #10  
LBH

Hi All,

Well, it's not gonna be a good day. I twisted my knee somehow last night while messing with my sliders that don't close right. I couldn't straighten it out all the way, so DH wrapped it in an ace and I put a bag of ice on it. The thing that has me upset is, this is my "bad" knee to begin with. In sixth grade, I turned over in bed, and somehow twisted my knee and chipped a bone. Woke up screaming. They diagnosed it (Osteocondritisdessacans sp?), and splinted it for awhile. Then, in 11th grade, I had surgery on it, to remove the chipped bone and re-establish the blood flow threw there. They splinted it again, and made me stay off if for a couple months. Then a couple months of PT and I was good...well, good enough for the Dr., he didn't have me continue PT for a real long time, because I wasn't into sports in school, so I didn't need the extra time. Oh, and from 6th to 11 grade, I spent most of the time not being able to straighten the leg out completely, kind of walked on my toes on the left side most of the time. Anyway, of course there's arthritis or something in it, because ever since the surgery, it bothers me in humid or cold sometimes. Now, I'm paranoid, of course, that I did the same thing to it. It hurts a little, but I can walk on it, with my knee slightly bent...can't straighten it out, it hurts to much. I guess I will have to call a doctor and have it looked at.

RR- Do you know if they can do an xray of my knee, if they cover my stomach with the apron thing?

Rabbit- I don't like the sound of that heat yoga either!! Have to be cool when exercising.

Tech- Good luck getting back OP this week!! I think one of DH's issues was exactly that, that now we have modern medicine, why do I need a midwife!! Oh well, we have an appt. with the Dr. in her office on the 23rd.

Karen- I have never been to the NJ museum! I love Planetariums though, have been wanting to go for a long time. Good luck with cleaning out the room! At least you have an attic to put the stuff in!! I've only got Mom's basement...which of course she's thrilled about.

GG- Always an exciting life for you!! That's nice that you found someone to take care of Gran.

Have a great day all...think I'm going to call in sick and just leave my leg up with some ice on it.
Old 09-16-2002, 08:16 AM   #11  

Lauren, sorry about the knee! I think you CAN have an x-ray of it, they only take one of the part they have to and it's a long way from your belly so I don't think it's going to be a problem. But go, because bad knees are really the worst thing. Just put it up until you see the dr, don't do hot/cold packs when you don't know what it is, it might backfire.
I have a bad knee myself, but have been able to keep it under control with special exercizes and weights, so my surrounding muscle tissue can support the knee. It kept me from surgery, and the only time it bothers me now is when I stop exercizing. I even lift weights and do deep (!) squats without problems with 100 pounds on my neck. Go figure.
You might want to see a physiotherapist too and discuss some special strengthening exercizes with him.

About my exciting life: Have just gotten warned by Sis #2 that I might be on the verge of exhaustion and a nervous breakdown...
Fortunately for me, this day is becoming boring enough to last all month. Most exciting feature up to now: waterbottleman bringin in new bottles of (YES!YES!) bottled water...

OK girls, I broke my promise but just to make Lauren feel better.
SO DON'T HIT ME!!!!

Vassiliki
Old 09-16-2002, 12:24 PM   #12  

Hi all,
Well, I had a nice weekend with DH and his family over at St. Pete Beach. The weather was really cloudy but I still managed to get a little sunburn. We decided not to go to Busch Gardens this time and instead we'll try to go in November -- we already bought the tickets so we're committed. Instead we spent all day Sat with the kids at the beach. I slept a ton -- asleep by 10 both nights and naps during the days. It was great to be a bum and I feel very refreshed now.

GG, you are so funny. I love reading about your adventures too. I don't know about the rest but when I read your postings I picture all these beautiful exotic places that you are a part of. So was the waterbottleman cute???

LBH, I agree with GG. You at least need to go get your knee checked. The doctor will know the best way to help you. Besides won't you need your knees healthy when you're trying to push that baby out? What do I know???

KK, your museum sounds fun. I tried to get DH to think about going someplace like that on our weekend getaway but football was on. Oh well, I enjoyed sipping my pina colada by the pool with my nose buried in a magazine.

Tech, glad to have you with us again. Yes, DH got a good swift kick in the rump and he had to say he was sorry several times before I forgave him. Good luck getting back on track again.

Rabbit, I just read something about that heat yoga in one of my fitness magazines -- is that where you saw it? I like to sweat when I exercise but I think that would be too much for me. I see people at the gym on the treadmill with sweatshirts and sweatpants on with a puddle underneath them. It seems kind of crazy to me cuz your just losing water and as much as I drink I'd have it back in my system by the end of the day. Why torture yourself??

LA, keep asking people about your situation and you will find someone who can give you legal advice or point you in the right direction. It seems like there are certain "liveable" conditions your landlord has to meet. I'm sorry things are so bad. Do you have some friends who can pull together and help you get the place looking better? Usually with the group I know if you provide some beer and pizza they'll be more than happy to help someone out. Good luck!!! I hope you can find a solution soon.

Have a great week everyone!!
Old 09-16-2002, 03:58 PM   #13  
Working on Weight loss!!!

Lauren--Sorry about the knee...Ask the OB about the x-rays...Mine said I could have teeth x=rays now that I was in the second trimester, but i still refused them...Hope it is better!!Keep us posted!!!!

GG--U R too funny!!!!
RR
Old 09-16-2002, 04:03 PM   #14  

hello all!

I lost one pound this week, so I'm happy with that. Really trying to remind myself why I'm doing this - it's so easy to screw up! But it would be so cool to get to my goal.

Dh & I had a pretty lazy weekend when he got home Saturday afternoon. But we're planning a bike trip for next weekend (hopefully! I gotta work on that) because it's our last free weekend for awhile. We have 3 store openings coming up, an out of town birthday party, and parents' weekend at ds' school.

Tech - enjoy your vacation! ~ It was me who asked where you live. I couldn't remember. We are opening a store in Detroit in October. I can't remember which mall, will have to check on that. But I don't think I'm doing that opening. The painting should be getting done then.

Greek - super that sis has lost 8 pounds! ~ Nice that you have the dentists in the family! My family needs one and a doctor would be nice also. ~ Good luck with the bf. ~ It does seem like you go to a lot of cool places!

Lauren - ouch! Sorry about the knee troubles.

Liz - Is that the same beach by Tampa? I was just there recently. ~ DH told me about the heat yoga. He likes to sweat like that also and will wear a sweatshirt to the gym which I think is crazy. I told him I always talk about the nuts who do that! When he is sick he insists on wearing a sweatshirt to bed also - to sweat it all out. Needless to say, I do not like to be in the same room then!

have a great week all.

Rabbit
Old 09-16-2002, 04:22 PM   #15  
LBH

Hi All,

Well, I'm working the knee thing out. I sat around most of the day, occasionally testing it to see if I could straighten it completely. Finally got in the shower earlier this afternoon and let the hot water run on it, and now I am able to straighten it and put pressure on it. I'm still favoring it a bit, but that's mostly just paranoia. I looked up some Drs. in my plan, but I didn't recognize any names. (A little background for those of you that don't know, my mom's a nurse, and knows a lot of doctors and contacts. She usually is able to give me a name, but since I got married and moved to Morris County, she doesn't know any Drs. that go to my hospital. Also, as far as advice on icing/heat/etc., I always listen to what she tells me to do initially, unless she tells me to go to the Dr.!!) Anyway, DH called his primary, who is in this area (mine isn't!) and they gave him a couple names. His primary is the team Dr. for the Nets. I was gonna call the Dr. that did my knee surgery back in HS, because he's pretty much got the reputation of being the best orthopedic surgeon around, but then I'd have to go to either northern Bergen County, which is a good 45 minutes away, or Newark, which is a horrible area! If it doesn't get better, I'll call one of the Drs. that DH's Dr. gave me.

Rabbit- Congrats on the loss!

RR- I have a dentist appt. next week, but I think I had the Xrays last time i was there, so I won't need them this time. I think they do them once a year.

Liz- Glad you had a good trip, and that you and DH will be able to go to Busch Gardens by yourselves in November. Yes, I'll need those knees for birth! That's one of the things I was worried about before I hurt it!! I have enough trouble with it normally!!

GG- Aww, thanks for breaking your silence just for me! Take it easy, we don't wany you falling apart on us!!

Have a great evening all!
Closed Thread