Old 05-12-2010, 04:49 PM   #16  
One step at a time...

S/C/G: 255/211/160

Height: 5'6"

I always do better when I have a goal -- so I set one! A little history: back in 2001 I got it into my head that I wanted to run a marathon. This was with NO prior regular running experience, and no particular skill for running. I was pretty fit at the time. Probably weighed about 170. I felt pretty okay about myself. Anyway, I did it! I ran Chicago in 2001 in about five and a half hours. I didn't keep up with the hard core running, but I did stay pretty active until I was in a bike vs. truck accident in 2003. After that I didn't think it would really be possible for me to run 26.2 miles again -- my knee took the brunt of it.

Fast forward to today. I've gone up and down in weight quite a bit, and a lot of it was related to the accident. I was pretty incapacitated for about 5 months and in a wheelchair for 3 of them. Now the knee itself is remarkable good 90% of the time. 10% of the time it hurts. But I think I can work around it.

I don't have the time or desire to train for another marathon, so I signed up for a half marathon that's running August 21st. I used a Hal Higdon training plan for Chicago in 2001 so I'm using his half marathon plan this time. it's a 12 week plan and I have 15 weeks to the marathon, so I have three weeks to get into a little better fitness shape. I have a job now (I was in college in 2001) so my schedule means that I'm going to have to do all my weekday running on the treadmill and just do my long runs on the weekends outside to keep myself used to road running.

My goal is to run the half in about 2:30, which is about an eleven-and-a-half-minute mile pace.

I ran for the first time in a long time yesterday and it was hard, but it felt pretty good! I was proud of myself and it made me think that I can actually do this!!

So anyway, that's my summer fitness challenge to myself!
Rebound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 05:07 PM   #17  
Fiercely Determined Chick

S/C/G: 217/see ticker/145

Height: 5'9"

WTG Rebound! It's amazing to come back from an injury like that! Awesome!
AFChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 07:52 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 225/ticker/165

Height: 5"10"

I'd like to join in! Great idea for a motivating way to kick things in gear, by the way.....

I would like to get back into my hardcore running. I had a running injury this winter, and have gotten behind, now I can run about 2 miles at 5.0--5.8 mph pace. I'd like to be able to do two major things:

(1) Run 4 miles easily, at least at a 5.2 mph pace.

(2) Do 10 REAL push ups (I can do maybe one or two right now).

Those will be my fitness goals for summer, and I know that I can get there! When do we start for real??

Thanks,
R
RunningToSmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 08:38 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 225/ticker/165

Height: 5"10"

Oh, Rebound, what a great recovery! I did a half marathon a few years ago, and wasn't able to run the entire thing, but I did finish and that felt amazing. Great job....I love running, and when I have a bad day, I love to "run it off". Also, I live in WI too....there is a beautiful marathon/half marathon, the Whistlestop, in the fall in Ashland. I've run that, and it's the perfect time to do so--lots of miles in the woods with the fall colors....

Good luck to everyone, this is a great idea!!

R
RunningToSmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 08:47 AM   #20  
One step at a time...

S/C/G: 255/211/160

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningToSmile View Post
Oh, Rebound, what a great recovery! I did a half marathon a few years ago, and wasn't able to run the entire thing, but I did finish and that felt amazing. Great job....I love running, and when I have a bad day, I love to "run it off". Also, I live in WI too....there is a beautiful marathon/half marathon, the Whistlestop, in the fall in Ashland. I've run that, and it's the perfect time to do so--lots of miles in the woods with the fall colors....

Good luck to everyone, this is a great idea!!

R
Wow, that sounds beautiful!! I'm in Madison but I'm not a native Wisconsinite so I don't even know where that is. I'm going to go google it and see if I can do it. It sounds like a wonderful run!
Rebound is offline   Reply With Quote