Old 01-31-2010, 10:34 AM   #1  
Jiggle, BE GONE WITH YOU!

S/C/G: 256/185/170

Height: 5'6

Default Exercise with a Cold..

I'm debating, should I "sweat it out" and work out or just rest this weekend? I have a wicked cold and cough. What would YOU do?
dietcokehead98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 11:58 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 212/209/150

Height: 5'6"

I just had this problem. I sat out the first day and did some mild resistance training with mild cardio the next...which was probably a terrible idea, because I could barely breathe and I think it did more harm than good. I would advise resting, eating some good, healthy soup, and letting your body heal.
IrishMomma2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 12:07 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 140/137.4/120

If you're in a position to "debate" with yourself it could be a sign that you are not as sick as you think as you are... But I see your point - I had a cold about a week and a half ago and chose to do some form of low-intensity cardio for 30 minutes on 2 of those days... It all depends on your symptoms and fatigue level. I also came across an interesting article online, but I don't think I'm allowed to post links here yet, so here's the relevant excerpt:

According to some physicians, there is a fairly simple way to decide if you should take it easy or not and it's called the neck up or neck down rule.

If your symptoms are from the neck up, meaning you have sniffles, a runny nose, headache and perhaps a very mild cough, it's probably OK to perform a mild workout. The key is to make sure you have no difficulty breathing during or after a workout. Definitely cut back, though, especially if you're a type A at the gym. Experts agree that going at one third your normal pace might be the best way to proceed and if you feel worse a few hours later - give yourself a few days rest.

If you're symptoms are primarily neck down, that is you've got a deep chest cough or a fever, you should skip working out altogether until you feel much better. Chest pain means you most likely have inflamed tissue in the lungs and working out will cause an even worse inflammation. Sleep and rest are the better choice.

Hope this helps. Cheers and get well soon.

Last edited by narn81; 01-31-2010 at 12:10 PM.
narn81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 06:36 PM   #4  
Less than 15 now!!

S/C/G: 220/*ticker*/145

Height: 5' 4"

narn81 - thanks for posting this! Neck up - great way to look at it.
mortonpixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 08:32 PM   #5  
Carpe diem

S/C/G: 105/78.9/65

Height: 5'5.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by narn81 View Post
According to some physicians, there is a fairly simple way to decide if you should take it easy or not and it's called the neck up or neck down rule.
I've heard of this before and have tried it out, it does make you feel better for working out, even if you feel like crap from the neck up. Don't go as hard as you normally do- about 60% of your usual effort. If you feel bad from the neck down and you go work out, you'll be doing a lot more harm than good.

Feel better soon!

Last edited by Mollz; 01-31-2010 at 08:32 PM.
Mollz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 02:32 PM   #6  
Jiggle, BE GONE WITH YOU!

S/C/G: 256/185/170

Height: 5'6

Well, I rested on Saturday-I've got it all, neck up and down! If I was just stuffy, I would have worked out, but as I said, I had a wicked cough and just walking upstairs made me cough. So, Saturday, no workout, Sunday I went for a walk around the neighborhood and today I was up at 6am on the treadmill and it was ok.
dietcokehead98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 02:44 PM   #7  
Positive Focus

S/C/G: 225/ticker/125

Height: 5'1"

Glad you're feeling better!

Great info ladies!
BeachBreeze2010 is offline   Reply With Quote