Old 01-03-2010, 04:50 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 225/see ticker/140

Height: 5'7

would like to jump on the wagon with you as well. I think there are times when I need the daily thoughts of others to get me through. I have a weekly weigh in post as well and sometimes that is just hard. It is nice to have motivation throughout too!!

Last edited by Josiegrl; 01-04-2010 at 10:12 AM.
Josiegrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 08:39 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 225/ticker/165

Height: 5"10"

Default Yay For Our New Buddy Group

Hi All,

Thanks so much for all of the encouraging words that we are sending back and forth! I agree with you, in that it's vital to check in when I am feeling hungry, blue, stressed, etc.--I tend to want to eat during those times, and this is helping to reset my habits. Right now, I logged in because I'm so famished I feel like I could take a bite out of my laptop! This medical fast plan that I'm doing is pretty tough, I am hoping that it gets better as the days go by (I'm day three today). If not, I have a feeling that I'm going to get a bit crankier....

All for now....

Last edited by RunningToSmile; 01-04-2010 at 07:10 AM.
RunningToSmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 11:26 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 186/155/145

Height: 5'4"

Hi Buddies!

Just posting an update! Day 3 of exercise and watching what I am eating!
Exercised for 1 hour each day so far. Back to work today, tough times not snacking as I am sitting for 12 hours. I've been stretching every so often as my leg muscles are seizing up! lol

A small intro..
I am 38 years old, not quite sure how that happened! Still feel like I am 18..
Mom to a 16 year old girl and 12 year old boy. Working full time as a police dispatcher.
Currently freezing off some of my ample buttocks, as it is -29 Celcius today.
Struggled with weight since I had daughter. Snacker of salty, crunchy stuff..
oh yes, also married for 16 years too.
Tried WeightWatchers, Atkins and other diets. All worked for a while until I quit! Trying again just by watching what I eat and exercising..

Stay strong everyone! We can do this!!

Last edited by tilaf; 01-03-2010 at 11:26 PM. Reason: 'cause I can't spell
tilaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 01:23 AM   #19  
Because I Can

Height: 5'6"

Hi, ladies! I am jumping in too. Josie told me about this thread. Our other one was a little slow. I haven't really set mini goals. On another thread we had to post a goal for January. I set one of 8 pounds for the month. I just REALLY want to get under 200. I have a picture on my fridge that I took of my scale the last time I got under 200. (Then I got pregnant.) I get to buy myself a rebounder when I do too! I figured it will be sometime in February if all goes well. have any of you tried the c25k?

-Mel.
MelO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 02:07 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 316/see tracker/175

Default Question Buddies...

Ok Buddies,

Does anyway have a link or a good formula for figuring out how many calories you need to eat to lose weight. At my current weight 280 pounds I am trying to eat around 1600 a day. But some days when I eat only 1500 calories I don't lose weight and other days when I eat around 1800 I lose more weight.

I just want to make sure I am eating the right amount. Help?
LaughingGirl78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 03:17 PM   #21  

Hi Ladies...is it too late for me to join??

I'm 38 and I've gained well over 100 pounds in the last two years.

I'm finally ready to take the reins and get back to where I need to be.

It's a big goal--147 pounds.

But, I KNOW I can do it.
beginme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 03:45 PM   #22  
Carpe diem

S/C/G: 105/78.9/65

Height: 5'5.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelO View Post
Hi, ladies! I am jumping in too. Josie told me about this thread. Our other one was a little slow. I haven't really set mini goals. On another thread we had to post a goal for January. I set one of 8 pounds for the month. I just REALLY want to get under 200. I have a picture on my fridge that I took of my scale the last time I got under 200. (Then I got pregnant.) I get to buy myself a rebounder when I do too! I figured it will be sometime in February if all goes well. have any of you tried the c25k?

-Mel.
The C25K is a great program- easy, steady build up to running distances/times without feeling like you're puffing and panting and ready to die. What I like about it is that you can work with distances or times- I like working with times.

There are heaps of people on here who have done it or are doing it. Here's the URL for it: http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
Mollz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 04:23 PM   #23  
Fiercely Determined Chick

S/C/G: 217/see ticker/145

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaughingGirl78 View Post
Ok Buddies,

Does anyway have a link or a good formula for figuring out how many calories you need to eat to lose weight. At my current weight 280 pounds I am trying to eat around 1600 a day. But some days when I eat only 1500 calories I don't lose weight and other days when I eat around 1800 I lose more weight.

I just want to make sure I am eating the right amount. Help?
To calculate BMR (basal metabolic rate):
Women: BMR = 655 + ( 4.35 x weight in pounds ) + ( 4.7 x height in inches ) - ( 4.7 x age in years )
Men: BMR = 66 + ( 6.23 x weight in pounds ) + ( 12.7 x height in inches ) - ( 6.8 x age in year )

This is the calories just by breathing, pumping blood around, etc. To adjust for activity level using Harris Benedict Formula, multiply your BMR by the appropriate activity factor, as follows:

If you are sedentary (little or no exercise) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.2
If you are lightly active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.375
If you are moderatetely active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.55
If you are very active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days a week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.725
If you are extra active (very hard exercise/sports & physical job or 2x training) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.9

This will give you calories to maintain. Subtract 500 calories/day for each pound you want to lose per week.

There are also lots of calculators on line. I remembered about the formula from a visit to a nutritionist, but found this info via a google search.

Last edited by AFChick; 01-04-2010 at 04:24 PM.
AFChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 06:42 PM   #24  

S/C/G: 174/159/145

Height: 5'4"

Hi everybody,

Welcome to all the new people on the thread. I am just checking in to see how we are all doing with our goals.

I'm on day two of running. I also did yoga yesterday and Abs/weight training/stretching today. I plan to run 6 days a week and alternate yoga and Abs/weight training/stretching 7 days a week. I have lost 3 pounds since Saturday. I guess exercise really does make a difference. 155 seems so close!!!

How is everyone else doing?
bubblelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 08:12 PM   #25  

S/C/G: 225/ticker/165

Height: 5"10"

Hi Everyone,

A little update from me: I am down 7 pounds since Friday (likely water) and am having a hard time today. I was back at work after vacation and, although I was very busy, I was still quite hungry. I have only had 3 shakes today (can have 5 or more), but the shakes aren't looking very appetizing anymore. I already had my one entree for the day.

I was at the gym by 0500, ran and did the elliptical, and I'm feeling kind of wiped out, think my cals might be too low. I need another shake or two, but just can't gear up to drink another one!

I am happy to be losing, but feeling a bit overwhelmed today. I miss food!

I hope everyone else is seeing some positive changes.....
RunningToSmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 09:19 PM   #26  
Proud Y Chromosome Member

S/C/G: 285/231/under 150 (normal BMI)

Height: 5'5"

Howdy, all.

This is my second straight day of jogging and so far so good. Thighs are a little tight and sore. My weak ankles are doing better than expected. And my stamina is definitely improving. Tomorrow I see my personal trainer and will work on strength exercises and weight lifting. Some light jogging but nothing near the 2.5 miles I am doing now. I was famished after my workout today and went out to eat with my dad to Garbanzo Mediterranean Grill. Their food is great, especially for diabetics. As long as I skip the pita and rice, I'm good to go. Lunch burned up my calorie allotment for the rest of the day. I will most likely just have an Atkins bar tonight before bedtime. It's good to see so many people in this thread. The more the merrier.

HMR2010 - Hang in there. When I first started my fasting diet, the first week was the roughest. Your body is going through some tough changes and is getting acclimated to a new routine. It will get better. I am curious to know how often you eat. My dietitian has me eating breakfast, mid-morning snack, lunch, mid-afternoon snack, dinner, and an optional evening snack. I have a minimum of 2 hours between feedings. In the beginning it seemed like I was always eating. There were times I had to force myself to eat something when I wasn't even hungry. Now, I am used to the number of meals and snacks and find it easier to limit my portion sizes and/or calories without feeling deprived.

On a side note, I had my blood test today and will find out the results on Friday when I meet with my dietitian. My iron levels were low last time (5 weeks ago). I'm not anemic but darn close. I've been eating more iron rich foods lately in hopes of avoiding the iron supplements I may have to start taking. I will check back in tomorrow.

Good job everyone, keep up the good work.
diabetic z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 09:34 PM   #27  

S/C/G: 276.5/273.2/165

Height: 5'5"

Good to see everyone!!

Tilaf - great job excersizing! go you! I sit at work all day as well, so I get up frequently to refill my water bottle, and take the long route back. My cubicle mate was part of a phone center, and would frequently stand up to take calls. I do that sometimes as well just to move around.

Beginme
- Welcome!! Yes you can do it....one step at a time, day by day..that is my mantra

Bubblelife - Go you for running!

Diabetic Z - woohooo for the second day of jogging! I know that is tough to get started..you are doing great!

I am sickly, and woke up with a sore throat. But I sat my rear-end down on my stationary bike after work and rode for 45 mintues. I'm going to take some cold tylenol and call it a night. My mini-goal was to excersize 4x/wk. This is #2. I have until Friday to do two more sessions.

Keep going brother and sisters!!
AzimuthRing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 10:30 AM   #28  

Default Checking in..

Hi Everyone!

I am so impressed with all of us so far!

All the working out that is going on--amazing. And I can't even imagine a fasting diet. You go girl!

Its even more dedicated to workout when your aren't feeling well--you are all inspiring me.

I started my lean cuisine diet (oatmeal and fruit for breakfast, fruit or yogurt snack, lean cuisine lunch and dinner with either either steamed veggies or a salad, an afternoon snack of a fiber bar and fruit, with an optional evening snack). I ate aroun 1650 cal yesterday and lost 2 pounds! WooHoo!

Now I just need to add in the exercise. I am struggling to get motivated when it is -8 degrees out. I just want to curl up under a blanket. Any suggestions? I got the Biggest Loser Boot Camp DVD but have yet to take it out of the wrapper. *sigh*
Old 01-05-2010, 11:13 AM   #29  

Thanks so much for the calculator/formula. I realized I was eating less than I should be to lose weight and maintain it. :-)
Old 01-05-2010, 02:58 PM   #30  

S/C/G: 247.6/241.0/224

Height: 5.8

Buddies are just what I am looking for too.... I would like to join the rest of ya in our quest to being healthy and slimmer...

I have been walking the tred mill for the last 3 weeks and noticed I was not losing weight. I am now up to 50 minutes every morning. I have started to try and stay at 1500 calories a day. I have a Weight Watchers muffin with milk for breakfast and a Weight watchers or Lean Cusine for lunch. Then have a small amount of what ever I make for dinner. I live with my boyfriend who is not into fat free stuff, but sometimes I make something that is lower in calories and fat and he loves it.

I am also going to try and keep a spreadsheet of my weight loss too and be accountable that way. I have scheduled my weigh ins every saturday morning. I use to go to Weight watchers years ago and did lose about 50 pounds. So I am going to take some of what I learned from there and use it now. Wish me luck... I am going to set mini goals too. Like with weight watchers the first was to lose 10% and so on.... For me that would be 24 pounds....

Lets stick together and help eachother out...
flyingwasp is offline   Reply With Quote