Old 12-18-2009, 07:38 PM   #1  
Loosing Baby Fat

S/C/G: 203/179/155

Height: 5ft6in

Default How many calories/day do you burn?

Just curious if anyone knows how many calories/day you should aim to burn while exercising?

I used this link to help me figure out that to maintain my weight I need 2371 calories/day. I shoot for about 500 less than that/day tho. (I'm nursing so I don't want to go much lower). So how many more should I burn? I had a hard time finding info on that in google.
Close2MyHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 08:20 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 235/see ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

I would go with whatever you can manage, or 250 calories if you can manage it. I'm no expert but it seems that this would be a good place to be while you're nursing and all. Good luck!
bensempress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 10:55 AM   #3  
Less than 15 now!!

S/C/G: 220/*ticker*/145

Height: 5' 4"

That sounds about right to me. I am also nursing and shoot for 2000 a day. I lose about (on average) a pound a week.

I shoot for more burn than restriction. I shoot to burn 300-400 daily with exercise. A brisk walk with some running sprinkled in burns about 10 calories per minute for me. If I eat some things that are a little higher in calories, I try to exercise them off rather than restrict more the next day.

If you are interested in more of the mathematical equation, you can figure your Basal Metabolic Rate. That will help you understand how many calories you need just to live and breathe (plus 500 for baby). My BMR is 1600, my baby is on solids now (7mo old) so I added just 400 for him to come to my 2000. Starting in January, I will be reducing my needs by 100 per month to arrive at 1600 when he is weaned at around a year old.

Here's the site I like for calculating BMR:
http://www.hussmanfitness.org/bmrcalc.htm
mortonpixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 11:00 AM   #4  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

About 3500 calories equals one pound. So, if you want to lose one pound a week, that would be the general formula to use. If you are cutting out 500 calories from your diet per day, that equals to 3500 calories for the week. If you can add in some exercise, that would increase the burn. However, I should say that I create a HUGE deficit every week and I don't burn according to that deficit. Maybe I'm a freak of nature but my body doesn't do what it's "supposed to." I would imagine that this is the reason why so many people quit their "diets," because their bodies don't follow those rules of weight loss. Other times, they probably miscalculate how many calories they consume and maybe overestimate how many calories they burn. I don't know, but it sounds like you're on the right track!
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote