3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   30-Somethings (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/30-somethings-57/)
-   -   Teachers? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/30-somethings/187253-teachers.html)

fattybobatty 11-30-2009 01:16 PM

Teachers?

Any elementary school teachers out there?? We should ban together!! This time of year is so brutal in the classroom!! All the chocolates, parties, treats from students! I am tempted every single day!!!! I can't wait until January!! :carrot:

Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving!!!

chickybird 12-01-2009 07:19 PM

I am so with you!!!!
I work with pre-k and they are so sad if you don't immediately "taste" whatever they brought you! I usually have a taste, then donate it to the office staff, lol!

Aclai4067 12-01-2009 07:49 PM

I'm a substitute teacher, but the regular teachers always make sure I know I'm welcome to the insane amounts of goodies in the lounge. I'd rather pretend I'm not!

Cinnamon45 12-02-2009 04:35 AM

I have taught for 8 years and since my husband (military) had to move to Germany, I am now working at a college doing advising. It is crazy, it is only Dec. 2 and it already is foodapolloza at the office. I think, not matter where you work, people love goodies.

time2blossom 12-05-2009 09:08 PM

Hi There!
I am brand new here today! As I was looking around I found this thread and boy did it hit home!

I have been a teacher for 12 years. I teach second grade. Not only is the 'festive food' a problem, but what about the stress?
The minute the school day is done, I am searching for something to help with the stress... and it is always the nearest sweet!

As I said before, I am new here, so I hopefully will be changing those ways. But, I know it is not going to be easy! I would love to stay in touch with other elementary school teachers throughout this journey! :)

weebleswobble 12-08-2009 12:00 AM

I'm not a teacher, I'm a minister...but wanted to tell you the phrase that works very well for me: "This looks so wonderful, I would love to eat this, but my doctor has told me I mustn't eat any _____ (sugar fat wheat whatever), which I'm sure you understand at this time of the year is terribly difficult! Thank you so much for thinking of me, it looks like you must have had a great time making it...how did you...(distract them with very interested questions about how they made the frosting or whatever...then walk away without taking it)."

If they insist that I take it home for someone else, I DO NOT MAKE IT HOME without stopping somewhere and dumping the food (everyone in our house is on the South Beach Diet) - what they don't know doesn't hurt them - and nobody in the neighborhood "needs" a plate of cookies.

Same, if my husband (also a minister) has to bring food home from his church. He's to dump it (or he'll feed it to the dogs if it's safe for them). We feel bad feeding people food to the dogs or trashing it, but we ALWAYS refuse it. People just won't listen sometimes.

fattybobatty 12-08-2009 06:06 PM

Great advice, weebles!!!

I am so glad everyone else is on the same page- I do realize that every job had temptations, but I feel like every DAY is full of yummy food and treats at school!! It is ridiculous!!!

I like the idea of donating to the office staff- I'll let them fatten up, not me!!!

:)

sacha 12-08-2009 06:13 PM

I'm not an elementary teacher but an adult ESL teacher. Holidays are the worst, especially because most students are Asian and it is customary to offer gifts (of chocolate and candy!) to teachers. I really appreciate the gifts, but it is also offensive to them to refuse it (I'd probably have hurt feelings too if I was them, especially since they are immigrants and work so hard for their small wages)! I put all my power into it and bring it home, and give it to others. It's hard, it really is.

teacher1 12-08-2009 08:55 PM

Yes, I'm there too. With all the stress with the students it's hard to resist the yummy holiday treats.

fattybobatty 12-09-2009 04:46 PM

AND at this time of year I am so tired that I am much more likely to give in and eat the sweets because I just want some energy! Boo!!! Not a good idea!