Old 06-15-2009, 07:56 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 255/205/140

Height: 5ft 7in

Talking Short question for ya'll.........

How does everyone feel about caffeine in their diets?

I've read info going both ways ...... and while I'd like to lean towards the "caffeine is good for you", I'm not sold yet. I've read that caffeine lowers your risk for diabetes but that it also causes you to dehydrate because of the "diuretic" properties it has.

I love drinking my coffee everyday...I look forward to it! I count it as one of my daily "snacks", and it has no fat and barely any calories!!
KimikoD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 08:22 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 180/172/155

Height: 5'6"

Hi kimiko,
i too have heard good and bad about coffee/caffiene.
i too love my lattes and a good cupojoe every now and again.
but in my exp. it comes down to moderation and what you personally can handle.
i tend to get addicted to coffee QUICK. i will have it one day as a treat, then for the next 2 weeks, i'm buying lattes every am before work!!!!!

which might not be so bad except that through trial and experience i think caffeine over stimulates me. with caffeine being a neuro-stimulator and me being someone who stresses out and gets weary easily, i can't handle alot of coffee. i've noticed the more often i drink it, the more often i will feel drained after the initial stimulating effect.
I was also diagnosed with adrenal fatigue by an NP, so that might be the reason for the way i react. Caffiene drains already worn out adrenal glands.

I do not have the same response to green or black tea though. just coffee.
if i eat well and drink tea, water and herbal teas, i find i have more energy an stamina and am less cranky and grouchy and more positive over all.

hope that helps.
kaebea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 09:06 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

How much caffeine are we talking? I think, like all things, moderation is key. Like anything, it's probably bad in high and excessive doses.

Myself, I've cut out artificial sweeteners, almost all processed foods, I eat very little sugar, and I work hard to get all my fruits/veggies in. There is no way I'm giving up coffee and tea (or the occasional piece of dark chocolate.)

That said, I only drink 1 cup that is regular and the rest of the day I drink decaf (if I have more than one cup, which is rare.)

However, I don't think energy drinks are a good for the body.

As far as coffee being a diuretic, just drink an extra glass of water to compensate, if you are concerned.

Last edited by zenor77; 06-15-2009 at 09:08 PM.
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 09:16 PM   #4  
LBH

S/C/G: 279.8/276.9/170

Height: 5'10"

Um, caffiene is not an issue...unless i don't have it!!! Sorry, I need to have my coffee, at least 20 oz. of it, every AM. I enjoy it, and don't care to do without it.
LBH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 09:38 PM   #5  
Never want to go back!

S/C/G: 338.4/190.8/165

Height: 6 ft

I love it. Have no plans to give it up. But I don't believe there are any special health benefits to it.
CLCSC145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 10:42 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 181/150/135

I don't think coffee affects weight loss, but I do notice a difference with diet soda. I think it's the artificial sweetener that is unhealthy, not the caffeine. I've read that it's even ok to drink a cup of coffee when you are pregnant, but moderation has to be the key. It seems to be the key to everything.
rileyozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 06:48 AM   #7  

Oh BOY! Well, I actually am ALWAYS embarrassed to admit this dirty little secret about myself......ready for it? I hate coffee. UGH! I can't even stand the taste of coffee cake let alone the real brewed stuff. It always smells lovely but tastes so bad (to me). No one in my family gets it and certainly my friends think I am wacked. I have missed out on many a coffee house chats, my friend...believe Dat!

And, some of you know, I have recently forsaken the EVIL diet coke from my life. After drinking it for 20 yrs or so and never being able to quit, I have decided to go "cold turkey". I had a head ache the first days and nothing since. I have had a few cravings for it but am holding strong thus far.

So, I do not think that there is anything AT ALL wrong with caffeine (in fact I think, after reading much about the subject, that it probably DOES stimulate your metabolism in some minor way). But, I agree with Riley, it is the aspartame in DC that makes it a no no for dieting. I have stayed off the scale a few days and am planning on continuing to do so for awhile but I do know that I am going DOWN because of the wii fit tracking ...so maybe that is what broke my plateau...or maybe the alli? Who knows?

Confused yet?
laurie2275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 08:44 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 255/205/140

Height: 5ft 7in

Laurie...don't be embarrassed about hating coffee! My husband absolutely despises the stuff...poor guy has to leave the kitchen when I brew it!! So I have this tiny little one person coffee pot I use everyday, and I brew it after he leaves the house to go to work!

Ok...after hearing from all of you....I'm going to be less self-conscious when I'm drinking my 1 cup a day.

kaebea.... I also drink green, white and black teas....and I love those as well!!

Thank you for the feedback, ladies! I appreciate it!
KimikoD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 09:17 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 225/205/150

Height: 5'5

I quit drinking coffee only because I like putting a ton o' cream and sweetener in it. Now my only fix is a Diet Mtn. Dew. Isn't Mtn. Dew known for having a crapload of caffeine too?

I'm thinking seriously about weaning myself off the Dew completely. If for no other reason, but that a 12 pack costs over $5! I need to drink more water anyway!
DawnSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 10:03 AM   #10  
On my way to a size 10!

S/C/G: 236/see ticker/150

Height: 5'8"

OMG - I have to have my coffee! LOL

I drink about 16 oz of coffee a day & I'm one of those who HAS to have cream & "sugar'. I use Fat Free Half & Half and equal and I think it is only 40 calories per serving. I have 8 oz early morning and another 8 mid afternoon.

I also LOVE LOVE LOVE hot tea (breakfast tea) and it MUST have a lemon slice and splenda. I usually have this about 3 times a week.

I also LOVE iced tea (Red Diamond with Splenda).

Now, this is the crazy part...in my coffee it is equal only and in my tea it is splenda only. I don't know why, but I don't like splenda in my coffee and I don't like equal in my tea.
SamanthaJubilee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 10:37 AM   #11  
One step at a time...

S/C/G: 255/211/160

I don't drink a lot of caffeine, but it's more by chance than by choice. Like Laurie said, I LOVE the smell of coffee but I just can't stand the taste of it! I think that's why I don't really feel like a "grown up." I don't like coffee or wine so I still feel like a kid!

I suppose I drink maybe 2 caffeinated diet sodas a week, but that's it.

I would imagine that like most things, caffeine would be fine in moderation. Anything is bad for you if you go to extremes. I can't imagine that a few cups of coffee a day would do much permanent damage!
Rebound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 01:12 PM   #12  
XOXO

S/C/G: 268/249/145

Height: 5'4"

I hate coffee, I am a tea drinker, but now I can't have that because of some issues with my throat. No caffeine at all for me ever, thanks Dr. S.!
Devsmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 04:39 PM   #13  
LBH

S/C/G: 279.8/276.9/170

Height: 5'10"

Laurie, dont' feel bad, my DH doesn't like coffee. He doesn't understand the obsession either. He thinks it's an addiction...like cigarettes, or something! Maybe it is, but I don't care. As far as I know, it's not doing me any harm. My BP is normal, etc.
LBH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 01:50 PM   #14  
Almost there! 7lbs to go!

S/C/G: 165/137/130

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBH View Post
Um, caffiene is not an issue...unless i don't have it!!! Sorry, I need to have my coffee, at least 20 oz. of it, every AM. I enjoy it, and don't care to do without it.

Amen!! LOL!! This is one thing you won't see me giving up! I don't drink really, don't smoke, so a nice, big cup of coffee in the a.m. is my one "vice".
Moralia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 02:04 PM   #15  
On my way to a size 10!

S/C/G: 236/see ticker/150

Just wanted to bring up one thing...back about 4 years ago when I went from 250 to 187...I was taking Phentermine...I barely ate, but I do remember drinking a LARGE amount of coffee (in addition to my 100 oz of water) and that kept me full. Of course back then it was regular half & half and splenda (they didn't offer equal at that job).

I don't know what made me think of that or why I am bringing it up...just a thought that crossed my mind.
SamanthaJubilee is offline   Reply With Quote