3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   30-Somethings (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/30-somethings-57/)
-   -   Kia Ora-- Newbie here! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/30-somethings/165887-kia-ora-newbie-here.html)

Mollz 03-02-2009 09:12 PM

Kia Ora-- Newbie here!

Hi everyone.

I'm Mollie, just call me Mollz.

I'm from New Orleans, but living in New Zealand with my hubby and 3 fuzzy children (no real ones, I'm afraid). I wonder if I should be in the 20-somethings, but ****, I'm almost 30. I've got a few more months to go.

Just a little about me:
I'm very active. I'm at the gym 5 days a week, and spend a lot of time with weights more than cardio. I'm also working towards 3 black belts: kendo (sword work), karate and aikido (currently 2 belt levels away from black in each) and go to the dojo 4 days a week for two hours at a time. Plus I walk the dog for an hour a day. So, yeah, very active. :D The weight just isn't coming off. :cry:

I've been trying to lose the weight since I was a teenager and have had a reasonable amount of success. From my heaviest to now, I've lost 30 pounds (in about 2 years). But I've got a long way to go and I find it doubly hard since I'm doing this all on my own with very little support from my family (they're all either very fat and don't care, or very thin and don't understand)- my husband is trying but sometimes I think he struggles to understand why I need to lose the weight.

So, I guess I'll see you around.

Cheers.
Mollz

daydreamer 03-02-2009 10:44 PM

Hi Mollz! You do sound very active. Have you seen a doctor to find out if there is a medical reason that you're not losing weight? I know the thyroid can cause major problems for some people.

SamanthaJubilee 03-03-2009 12:42 PM

Hi Mollz. I agree with daydreamer. You should (if you haven't already) go to your physician and get your bloodwork done to determine if there might be some underlying issue for your lack of weight loss. With you being that active (unless your choking down 3000+ calories) you should be losing weight.

I just went and got my blood work done last week & now I'm waiting on the doc to call me for the results.

LBH 03-03-2009 03:10 PM

Hi Mollz! :welcome3: It's hard when you don't have a lot of support. :hugs: You've done great though. 30 lbs. in 2 yrs. with limited support is not a bad thing! It's 30 lbs.!

You'll find tons of support around here!

Mollz 03-03-2009 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LBH (Post 2638110)
Hi Mollz! :welcome3: It's hard when you don't have a lot of support. :hugs: You've done great though. 30 lbs. in 2 yrs. with limited support is not a bad thing! It's 30 lbs.!

You'll find tons of support around here!

Thanks Lauren! :hug: I'm not complaining about the 30 pounds-- more than I've ever lost in my whole life!

And SamanthaJubilee, I'm down to between 1200-1400 calories a day. Got an appointment with the doctor tomorrow. I'm bringing along my food diary, and though I have been pretty lax writing lately, I'm still going to show him what I've done.

And I've got my martial arts classes tonight. YAY! Something to look forward to four days a week can't be all that bad for you!! :carrot:

Cheers.
Mollz :boxing:

squeak351 03-04-2009 11:23 AM

"they're all either very fat and don't care, or very thin and don't understand"

boy can I ever relate. All my friends are toothpicks and I feel like a seacow around them.

I can't add any more advice other than maybe you aren't eating enough for the all the excerise your doing. When you talk to your doctor make sure you tell them how much you workout.

Above all don't give up.

Beth

Mollz 03-04-2009 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by squeak351 (Post 2639500)
"they're all either very fat and don't care, or very thin and don't understand"

boy can I ever relate. All my friends are toothpicks and I feel like a seacow around them.

I can't add any more advice other than maybe you aren't eating enough for the all the excerise your doing. When you talk to your doctor make sure you tell them how much you workout.

Above all don't give up.

Beth

Beth-- I definitely don't plan on giving up! My goal is to lose 75-80% of the weight by my 30th birthday in September. Mini goal is a size 14 by the end of June (I've gotten to the 16, but clothes sizes fluctuate wildly: a size 14 in one brand may be an 18 in another or a size 20 might be a 18). I'm sure I can make it to a 14, but it seems like the light at the end of the tunnel is around a few bends and I'm facing the other way. :sp:

We'll see what happens-- doc's appointment in 20 minutes. :)

Cheers.

risab 03-08-2009 11:32 AM

The weight lost is great! It will interesting to hear what the Doctor thinks.
Good luck
http://www.3fatchicks.net/img/bar083...2/145/164/.png

Mollz 03-08-2009 05:07 PM

Thanks.

The doctor fobbed me off, saying that I was defying the energy-in v energy-out "law" of dieting. But having said that, he said that he didn't know that much about PCOS, other than he is aware of it and aware that I have it.
I got this out of the appointment:
- a waist-hip ratio (0.82, which isn't bad, considering the ideal is 0.7)
- height/weight check
- a new set of birth control pills
- heaps of blood tests (from the tests he's ordered, he wants to make sure I have PCOS, even though I've been diagnosed twice)
- a partridge in a pear tree (nice parting gift)
- and a referral to my gynaecologist.

Looks like I'll be taking a day or two off work this month.

Cheers.