Old 01-12-2009, 07:33 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 180/172/155

Height: 5'6"

Talking diet buddies jan 09

Hi,
i noticed there's alot of 30 somethings looking for a diet buddy, but there's no accountability thread.
Thought i'd go out on a limb and start one for all those looking for support and see if it takes off.

may be we could start out with quick intros and state what our goals are, what our obstacles are and what we've achieved toward our goals for the day?

hope to meet some nice friends out there,
kb.

P.s.
my fish should be scooted back to 183.

Last edited by kaebea; 01-12-2009 at 07:34 PM.
kaebea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 08:53 AM   #2  

S/C/G: see signature!

Height: 5'6

Ok Ill go....I am 31 years old, and weigh in at 226 as of this morning. I am married, no kids, 2 cats and a boxer puppy who is a handful. My last big weight gain was when I was on prednisone in and out of the hospital for my asthma, I was diagnosed with it just last summer, so I have been getting acclimated to it....I would like to eat healthier and keep on that track, only eating my bad foods (wings, deep fried everything, gooey desserts) on special occasions. I also want to start walking on a treadmill (hopefully I will find one in the next month) and then start walking with my dog every morning before work until I get back into shape.
My goal is to reach 150 lbs and to be able to jog with my dog!
WVU Jenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 09:33 AM   #3  

Hi Jenn,
i guess i forgot to write anything about myself!

I'm 33, have 4 cats, 1 dog (10 yr old pit bull, but he acts like a puppy), 2 bunnies and a 9 year old gold fish, pinky.
no significant other, but if sort of given up on that, at least for now.

my goal weight is 140, so i have ~40 lbs to loose. My health became a trainwreck when i was put on a birth control pill and unknowing of the side effects, i took it for 5 years. well, i''ve been off of it about 18 months and have s-l-o-w-l-y been regaining my health.
my sub-goals are to join a yoga class at my health club (there is one tonight)
to work with a trainer at the gym for some compound muscle weight training exercises to strengthen my core and bum right knee, to get on a diet of mainly whole foods and low in sugars and other carbs.

my biggest obstacle is my unique ability to consume massive amounts of food while enjoying the experience. in other words i'm a binge eater, overeater, comfort eater, whatever you want to call me.

AND one of my goals is to start running again! and take my dog if he will agree to it.
I used to run almost daily and log ~ 28 miles per week and let me tell you, i was a much happier person in those days. I'd love to start up that habit again!

well, i tend to ramble when i type, so i'll make myself stop for now.

anyone else? c'mon, c'mon. more diet buddies
Old 01-13-2009, 09:56 AM   #4  
Meredith

S/C/G: 175/160/150

Height: 5'4"

Hello! My name is Meredith, I am 34, I have been married for 10 years, 3 kids, 2 dogs, 1 gecko, and 2 fish at home. I am also a 5th grade teacher. I have never been REALLY skinny as an adult, always had hips, boobs and a butt! I was 175 when I started last week, and am hoping to be at 150 by April 14th. (That would be 100 days from last Monday.) My ultimate goal would be 135 or 140, but I am not thinking about that yet. I just want to fit into my clothes better, especially my underwear. I hate the "roll" over top of the elastic. I also want to stop being the "daughter with kids," while my 26 year old sister is "the gorgeous, skinny one with the big boobs." (Seriously how my mom introduced us once, at my brother's wedding, I am trying not to hold it against her, since she had a couple of glasses of wine. I love her!)

Besides the weight loss, my goals are to track calories on thedailyplate.com, and to work out (at least for 15 minutes) every day. I have been doing both, running on the treadmill with the couch to 5k program every other day, and doing video yoga on my days off. I am also training to walk the "Flying Pig" half marathon in Cincinnati with another teacher at school.

My big problem is that I am great when I start out, but I tend to make excuses as to why I can't do the workout, or why I ate a Reese's cup, or whatever. I need someone who takes no excuses! Be BRUTAL!

I am not considering this a "diet," but a lifestyle change. I would just like to make better choices, and not eat so much when I am emotional. I have the same talent as you kaebea, I can eat at any time, sad, happy, bored, and put away large amounts. I especially love sweets. That is a habit I am trying to break!

Would love to be diet buddies with you all!!

Meredith

Last edited by meredithann; 01-13-2009 at 09:57 AM.
meredithann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 10:07 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 230/226.6/170

Height: 5,8

Hello. I'm Celia, 30 years old. I work a full-time job in the medical field. I started school last semester, but am only doing one class at a time (self-pay).

I lost about 59 pounds 7 years ago after having a baby, and gained it all back. My biggest challenge has been working out. I just don't do it. I would ultimately like to lose 50 pounds again, but for now I am trying to just get under 200.
SapphireBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 10:49 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 251.4/see ticker/155

Height: 5'9"

Hello,

Nice to meet all of you!

My name is Jacki (35 years old). I live in IL with my dh, 2 children (15 and 16), 2 dogs, and 3 cats. I started my new healthy lifestyle (with my dh) 4 days ago, and so far everything is going great. My main reason for wanting to lose weight is the feeling great part, I am tired of being tired. I was thin up until my children were toddlers (I was a size 7 after both of their births). I was depressed, with the passing of my brother, and marriage with my first husband. When I divorced him I started to workout, and eat healthy (ended up losing 71 lbs 232lb to 161), I felt great! Then I met dh, and didn't keep up with my workout program, and ended up gaining 30 lbs (191) I was still comfortable with myself, and stayed at that weight (191 - 195) for about 1 year, then my mom was diagnosed with cancer, and that put a toll on me. I ended up gaining all of my weight back (232). We thought she beat it, and I started exercising again, losing 52 lbs 232 to 180, and then were hit that the cancer was still there, and she was too weak to go through chemo, we knew she wouldn't be with us very long, well I just let myself go again, but this time gaining the weight plus some....after her death (5 years ago), I was in deep depression. Then 2 years ago, I had knee surgery, and I wasn't able to pick myself up....but I am ready now!! I know how important it is to be healthy for myself and family. I want to be around for a long time. In the future I will work out my depression at the gym.

My ultimate goal is to be pre pg weight of my daughter (145). I have small goals set inbetween, I just can't wait to feel great, and be full of energy.

My goal for today is to drink 100 oz of water (consumed 32 oz so far), and 30 mins on the treadmill.
BabyPhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 12:22 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 147/142/125

Height: 5'3

Hello:

I am Tiffany from Michigan. I am 36 years old and have two kids 18 and 13. I started doing weight watchers again a week ago. Somedays I find it hard to eat all my 21 points and some days I eat them up to fast. I've never been really skinny. I graduated high school weighing 170 and was 180 after my last child. I went through a divorce and lost 25 pounds. Stress is a weight loss for me. I dont eat when Im stressed. I am a bad chocolate junky..lol Love the carbs too, bread,pasta,potatoes. I am trying to put more veggies into my daily eating habbits. I try to work out at least 30 min a day or more. That is when I dont make an excuse why I cant work out.

But anyway I find these post to be very encouraging and fun to read. I have gotten a lot of ideas and know that I am not the only one who has rough times. My goal is to be 20 pounds lighter by May.
butterflywings34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 12:57 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyPhat View Post
Hello,

Nice to meet all of you!

My name is Jacki (35 years old). I live in IL with my dh, 2 children (15 and 16), 2 dogs, and 3 cats. I started my new healthy lifestyle (with my dh) 4 days ago, and so far everything is going great. My main reason for wanting to lose weight is the feeling great part, I am tired of being tired. I was thin up until my children were toddlers (I was a size 7 after both of their births). I was depressed, with the passing of my brother, and marriage with my first husband. When I divorced him I started to workout, and eat healthy (ended up losing 71 lbs 232lb to 161), I felt great! Then I met dh, and didn't keep up with my workout program, and ended up gaining 30 lbs (191) I was still comfortable with myself, and stayed at that weight (191 - 195) for about 1 year, then my mom was diagnosed with cancer, and that put a toll on me. I ended up gaining all of my weight back (232). We thought she beat it, and I started exercising again, losing 52 lbs 232 to 180, and then were hit that the cancer was still there, and she was too weak to go through chemo, we knew she wouldn't be with us very long, well I just let myself go again, but this time gaining the weight plus some....after her death (5 years ago), I was in deep depression. Then 2 years ago, I had knee surgery, and I wasn't able to pick myself up....but I am ready now!! I know how important it is to be healthy for myself and family. I want to be around for a long time. In the future I will work out my depression at the gym.

My ultimate goal is to be pre pg weight of my daughter (145). I have small goals set inbetween, I just can't wait to feel great, and be full of energy.

My goal for today is to drink 100 oz of water (consumed 32 oz so far), and 30 mins on the treadmill.

I love your minigoal for the day! I gotta start doing that! I have been working on my minigoal of getting down to the one hundreds, and the daily minigoals should definately help!
Old 01-14-2009, 10:58 AM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by meredithann View Post
I also want to stop being the "daughter with kids," while my 26 year old sister is "the gorgeous, skinny one with the big boobs."
whoa, that's a shot to the old self image, huh?
i did check out the daily plate web site, i think i might try that. seeing as how i always let my manual food diary go the wayside, especially on days where i don't quite stick with the diet and would rather not do all the extra writing and calculating

Hi butterfly, babyphat and saphirre!
glad we could get a little group together.

I'd kinda forgotten about the whole 8 glasses of water per day thing babyphat. i used to do that, of course i was more active in those days too!

i'll make that a mini goal, to drink a tall glass of water today. Do you find yourself running to the little girls room alot though? i always remember that as a side effect...

i like the minigoals idea too. for today, i'm just going to get through this day without over eating...lets say 1200 calories.

i'm also going to brave this blizzard and drive to the pool! exercise isn't usually a problem for me, other than i'm less motivated when i'm not eating right! it's hard to run with a belly full of trail mix or whatever. Taco bell...anything.

OK, yesterday, i did the yoga class! my first ever official yoga class. they said it was vinyasa yoga and alot of the poses are the same ones from my Karen Voight DVD.
I did over eat though, i bought a bag of trail mix at trader joes afterward. i didn't even bother with adding up the calories!
BUT it was trail mix with no chocolate or candy, so i've kept up with my new years resolution of NO SWEETS! (except for cheesecake. i don't know why the new years resolution made an exception for cheesecake, it came to me in a vision...a vision from the gods. And cheesecake is the food of the gods )
Old 01-14-2009, 11:23 AM   #10  

yesterday again was an overeat day.....they keep putting out sweets and such by the coffee at my work!!!!!! someone tell me what you do to steer clear of these things!!!!?????
Also no treadmills in the add bulletin....Im bummed. My goal for today....
Not overeat and drink 2-3 bottles of water!
Old 01-14-2009, 02:28 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 333/238/150

Height: 5 ft 6 in

Hey everyone.
I'm Amber, I'm 30 (will be 31 on 1/21) very happily married (been together for almost 13 yrs), have 2 kids-DD who is 8, DS is 5; a spaz rat terrier and a cat who tolerates us. I am also a Brownie leader for my daughter's troop. I am a stress eater and sugar/fat are my food triggers. I have been overweight my entire life, but after my son was born in 2003, I went on Depo Provera. I got off of it in August of 2007, and slowly but surely the pounds are coming off with alot of very hard work. I lost a total of 30 lbs in 2008, but I just cannot seem to get below 270. I am counting my calories while focusing on getting enough water, fruits and veggies, and fiber. I am working out using a Wii Fit-which i highly recommend-and trying to take it one day at a time. I honestly have only set one short term goal for 2009-which is to weigh 250 by March 20 (Brownie trip), but I do have daily and weekly goals which are:

Daily:
1. Drink a minimum of 80oz of water each day
2. get at least 4 servings of veggies and 2 servings of fruit a day
3. get at least 3 servings of dairy a day
4. eat a healthy breakfast
5. work out at least 45 minutes each day.

Weekly:
1. work out at least 5 days each week
2. plan and eat my meals according to what I need for the day
3. manage my stress by blogging or talking things out
4. take everything one day at a time, one BITE at a time if necessary!

I hate the word diet. I absolutely cannot stand it. It puts me in the frame of mind that this is something that I am doing temporarily, instead of this being a complete lifestyle change. Every single day for me is a struggle with eating and working out. I also deal with alot of negative self talk. I have a picture of me that was taken back in May of last year, when I was just beginning my weight loss journey, and it keeps me focused on the big prize. I look at it every time I feel like giving up. I am so glad to have found this thread! I will be using it alot!
amber961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 03:39 PM   #12  
Maintanier to the MAX

S/C/G: Maintainer

I'd love to join in , if you'd all let me.
I am nearing my goal, only need to loose 6 more lbs, but after that have a small goal of loosing 5 or 6 more. I know it isn't a lot of weight to loose, but it is what it is. I want to be that small framed gal I was pre-kids. I don't mind my body now, as I was able to carry two babes full term (boy was pregnancy hard on my body) and having had two c/s well... my body is now motherly .
I always seems to plateau. Man I hate them too . They seem to last awhile then boom.. slowly the weight comes off. Then another plateua AGAIN. I feel as I have been going up and down between loosing two or three lbs and the gaining it back. It sucks because it puts me in another bracket, I want the lower bracket.

I am a pretty good eater... no red meat, love me my veggies and fruits, granola and nuts etc. But, I always seem to get in a cooking rut--- the same meals over and over again. I love to cook, so am willing to try out things. As for water, I lug it with me all day. Some days are better then others. I do have a soft spot for sweets, so limit them to entering my house. Well try to atleast.

Well that is all for now...

Oh my goal for today is to eat another piece of fruit before days end and drink another 16 ounces of water. I can do it... Yes I can.
PearFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 04:52 PM   #13  
Meredith

Hey there "buddies!" Just checking in...how are we all doing today??

Meredith
Old 01-15-2009, 10:14 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 333/238/150

Height: 5 ft 6 in

Hey everyone!

Today I am off to a pretty good start. I ate some Fiber One with raisins and oat clutsters for breakfast and I will be working out here shortly. I am gonna focus on getting all of my water in today, even though I don't want to because it's so COLD here today. It is so easy for me during the summer to get all of my water in plus some because of the heat and humidity. I want to challenge myself today, though so I can get it all in.
One meal during the cold months I have trouble with is lunch, because frankly, I do not want a salad! I want something hot and hearty and filling, and unfortunately, here in GA that means fatty foods. So, give me your ideas! Leftovers are obvious, and so is canned soup, so give me an idea of something different. (yeah, not hard at all, right?? LOL)
I hope everyone has a great day!

Amber
amber961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 10:19 AM   #15  
Meredith

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber961 View Post
One meal during the cold months I have trouble with is lunch, because frankly, I do not want a salad!
How about some turkey and maybe some lowfat cheese on a wrap, warm it in the microwave, and then put some lettuce and a little dressing on it? We have those here at school, and they are pretty good!