30 Something Chat Thurs. July 24th

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • GOOD MORNING CHICAS!!!

Off to run a few errands today, and probably to the library since we haven't made it there yet this week. Gonna check out the books you all recommended for Frankie. Also, I got a ton of lights for my patio that I want to put up. Gotta get some of those 3m sticky light holders & a few ext. cords.

Hope everyone has a super day. I'll check in a little later, before I go to class.

cheers,
    P
  • Mornin' All!

It's here again.

GG, thanks. Isn't that the name of one of the vaccines he got?? DH said he had a normal BM yesterday, and this AM, so hopefully he's OK. If he goes back to the other, we'll take him in.

Walking with Dinosaurs...I don't remember who mentioned it, but we wanted to take the boys. Then we looked up ticket prices...100/ea!!! The cheap seats were soo far away, it wouldn't be worth it, and those were 35/ea.!
  • Good morning all. Can I vent for a minute? I am not going to Weight Watchers today. I don't know if it is because I am just tired of working around the same three pounds or if it is because I am tired of travel or because my TOM is right around the corner....but I am sick of counting points and I am revolting on formalized diets. I have just had enough. For those of you who are just doing it on your own, what are your thoughts? I think I have decided to just watch my calories, watch what I am putting in my body and exercise daily. I just don't feel like paying or worshipping the diet gods...is it normal to just get fed up like this?

Okay, vent done. Thanks. My mom is coming today to help me get the kids up to PA for the reunion. My hubby is staying here to work on our patio and outside so he won't be coming (lucky guy). We had huge storms last night with rotation...so my hubby made me grab my son and he got the baby and we just hid out downstairs until it passed. (We're in a three story townhome and none of it is underground...so we were trying to be safe) Magically, they stayed asleep and were none the wiser. I hope everyone has a great day...enjoy it all...Erin
  • Hey Erin... man, do I hear ya talking!! I know what it's like to just become downright bored and frustrated with the plan you're on. Every day seems like a battle. Especially when you have to not only go to meetings for WW but your paying for it too.

This time I decided to just do it on my own and get back to basics. Eat less and move more. As long as my burned calories exceed the calories I eat, I should be OK.. LOL

On my 3FC blog (link tot he left), I have my meal plan written out. I eat pretty much the same thing every day (different foods, same plan). You'll see that it's really not that hard. Dinner is my favorite meal because I Just eat what the family is eating. If they're having hot dogs, so do I but I have one, not my normal two. Last night I had a hot dog and 10 tater tots. If I'm still hungry, I'll eat some salad with 2 tbsp diet dressing.

I'll tell you, I have never been so pleased with myself, my diet or my results. I lost 50 pounds on WW years ago but that was the old diet. I tried the points but it didn't work for me. I didn't know much about nutrition then so I ate very wrong.

You also might want to try some low glycemic food choices. I buy these multi-grain wraps by Wrap-itz. They're in the taco food aisle (I know... sorry...LOL) and I use them for everything!! MY kids love them. I make BLT's on them, tuna salad sandwiches with lettuce and tomato, mmmmm.

For when I get the crunchy munchies, I keep some baked snacks on hand. Lays baked chips go great with a tuna wrap and although 15 chips doesn't seem like much, it's definitely enough.

Also, I allow myself a semi-off day. Since I weigh in (at home) on Saturday mornings, I allow saturday to be my day. If hubby wants wings and cheese fries, he has to wait until saturday. Last saturday we ordered from out. I had 1 slice of pizza, 12 cheese fries and 2 hot wings (no bleu cheese). So I'm off but not going hog wild!! I figure I have a whole week to burn it off and dilute the over abundance of salt!!! LOL

I know that doesn't work for everyone but it does for me because I never feel deprived.

You can do this (just re-read your siggy!), you just need to change things up a bit!! We're here for you... feel free to vent any time!!

To all... have a fab day!!!!!!
  • Poppy- I appreciate that so much! I will definitely check out your blog. Thanks for being there!
  • Poppy- Quick question about the blogs...how do you create those tabs across the top for extra content? Like how did you create the food plan tab, weigh in tab, etc....? Thanks.
  • Mornin' Chick-a-dees!

Pam (alias: Belly Dancing Queen!) ~ Library trip is in the makings here today too. What kind of lights did you get for the patio? All I have is a strand of dragonfly lights and I'd like to get some new ones. I noticed that Target had some really cute lights. Have a great day with the kiddies!

Hi Lauren ~ I checked into seeing that dino show here too with Liam but it was way too costly. Sunshine is one lucky duck to get free tickets! How are the meds working?

mcmommy ~ Oh Girl, I hear 'ya!!! I'm in the very same boat and can so relate to what you're saying. I started WW back in June and was doing great with it but then we started traveling a bit, and every weekend was a party here or there. I let myself get de-railed and now I'm in the same frame of mind as you. I've not put on any weight and have consistently exercised, however, my eating isn't as good as it was. When I started 3FC in 2007 I simply cut back and exercised more. I don't eat anything after dinner, lots of water, etc., etc... I'm doing it on my own now but the weight is coming off soooooooo slow. WW gave me a jump start, however, I don't like paying the $$$. So, I'm going to try and do it on my own one more week and see how it goes. Don't be so hard on yourself. Enjoy this one last trip and realize that you'll settle into a routine when you start back to work in a few weeks. Good luck!!!

Valerie ~ You are doing so well! I think that you're approaching this whole thing so sensibly. Depriving yourself completely does *not* work. We all have been there, done that. I will not "diet" ever again. I'm going to be on the look out for those wraps....

Alicia ~ I keep forgetting to ask how is your grandmother?

Lisa ~ it's good hearing from you. We thought maybe that you'd been kidnapped by your department store!

Mamma Mia was great! It is the ultimate chick flick. Pam I had to laugh at your husband going to see it. My DH would rather have a root canal;-). There were 17 of us all together and we sang and danced ~ such fun. There were two crabby old gals in front of us that we were with their two crabby looking husbands (they had to have made them come) and after the movie the lady turned around and said that she did not appreciate our "singing and enjoying ourselves" and that she wanted her money back. My one sister is very outspoken and she says, "take it up with the management lady." How could a person go see an ABBA musical and not sing???? It's one of those movies where you're smiling almost the entire time. Hope that everyone has a great day. I'm off to exercise and listen to ABBA on my Ipod.
  • Morning All,
    Erin, I hear you about the diet thing. But you can do it by just eating healthy foods, going by the serving size, and excerising everyday. I have started to that this time around on the diet block and I am starting to lose again. I really think that you can do it on your own. I just go to my local TOPS meeting once a week for the support and motivation I get from the other ladies. They are all on different diet plans. So you might want to check it out and see if your area has a TOPS group. On the support forum there is a post about TOPS if you also what to check that out. Enjoy your family reunion this weekend.
    Poppy, love your poems. May I print them off and post them on my refrigerator door? Hope work goes well for you today. Still laughing about your boss yesterday. May he be nice to you today.
    GG, enjoy work today. Hopefully you don't have a rough day where you were there yesterday. Did you get a workout in again this morning?
    Fergi, so are you already for your vacation? I hope you have a wonderful time. How close are you to the hurricane? I have been thinking of you and your family. Hope you are all safe.
    Lisa, glad to see you are back with us. We sure have missed you. Sounds like work is keeping you very busy. Hope all is well with you. Hope next months floor move goes smooth for you. Did you have the wick thunderstorms on Tuesday morning like we did? We were without electric for about 18 hours on Tuesday.
    Hanna, how was your day yesterday? Hope you were able to relax and just take it easy with dh.
    Sunshine, congrats on winning the tickets. That is awesome! Hope you have a nice day today! Do you have an gigs today?
    Pam, enjoy your trip to the library and your errands. So today is your bellydance class. Have fun. Is it tonight that you go to the advanced class?
    Lauren, glad to hear that your dog is feeling better today. Hopefully you don't have to take him to the vet. Sorry about the rain. I know what you are feeling. It rained here on Monday and Tuesday. So I am glad for the sunshine and low humdity today.
    Toni, so how is the weaning coming along? I hope that you are able to get some rest. Did you enjoy your evening out last night with dh and your friends? Tell your little boy Happy Birthday for me. I hope he has a nice birthday.
    Yana, so is it still hard getting use to being back at work? When does your dh come home from visiting his family? Hope you have a wonderful day!
    Alicia, hope you have a nice few days at work. Hopefully the lady you are caring for won't drive you too crazy. I watched How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days too last night on the USA channel. I love that movie. We also watched The Bucket List early in the evening. Then I took it back to the movie store. I liked it but it was a tear jerker at the end.
    Trish, enjoy your few days away from home. Sounds like you are going to have a busy weekend too! Hope your legs and shins stop hurting you soon. Have a safe trip.
    Christina, hi. Hope you have a nice day at work. Sorry to hear that Sears isn't willing to work around your ds's football schedule. You would think that they would. Maybe a movie store in your town, a fast food place or a grocery store would be more willing to help him out.
    Hi to everyone that I missed. I am off to do a walking program for 30 minutes. Then after the grass dries I am going to mow the yard. I wanted to mow yesterday, but my dh kept saying it was going to rain. Guess what not one raindrop at all. I was not a happy camper. So the grass is just a little higher today. I guess that means a good arm and leg workout with the pushmower. Have a great day everyone!
    Take care,
    Kerry
  • Joan glad you had a good time last night at the movies. I am hoping that when my one friend gets back from vacation, she will go see it with me. I told my dh that I wanted to see it and would he go with me. He was like no way I am not going to no darn chick flick. I would rather go the the dentist.
    Hope you have a nice day with your kiddies! Enjoy your trip to the library.
  • Joan...don't think the belly "Dancing Queen" was lost on me...I totally got it!!! So glad you enjoyed the movie. What a bunch of miserable jerks in front of you. Now, I really am going to make an effort to see it. Have fun at the library.

Lauren, my friend and her daughter had that Giardia, man is that one nasty parasite!!! She had to go to the hospital to get tested and they reported it to the CDC. The think her daughter got it from her dog, and she got it when she changed her kid's diaper. very contagious, so if he has it, be careful the kids don't get it. From what I know it's transmitted through feces, and her daughter probably got it from the dog licking herself then licking her mouth. Just a heads up to you...other than that, did the rain clear up yet?? It has here, it's really sunny & super hot again.

Poppy, I'm with ya on the eating. I give myself the weekend (Usually Friday night & SAturday) to splurge, but not go nuts. It's always worked for me. You know something else though? I've cut way back on my exercise, and I'm losing the weight a little faster now. I think someone posted on here that when women don't have a lot to lose (ie, 20 lbs or less), and they work out hard, they tend ot be hungrier & eat more. Funny, last time I lost weight, I didn't work out at all and weighed 139...that was 2 years ago. I've just been doind daily crunches, bellydancing, and going for walks a few times a week, and I'm not nearly as hungry and the scale is starting to move. It does take a real commitment on the eating end, though. I have to be really careful. WE'll see how things go for teh next few weeks,a nd if I keep losing a pound here or there, I'm gonna stick with it.

Mc, you'll figure out what works for you. Hope you have a great time on your trip. Where in PA is your family??

Kerry, hope you are able to get your mowing done today!! Are you still doing WATP?? I'm thinking about trying it when it's too hot to walk outside.

Okay, off to Target. Oh, Joan, I got some red, white & blue lights...my patio cover is so huge, I need about 80 feet of lights, way to much money to get the fancy ones...so when Christmas comes I will trady tehm out for white lights. Hard to find white lights on white wire this time of year, but I found the 4th of July ones at AC moore for 1.60, and I got 25% off on top of that. Figure I canuse them for the summer

Later gators!!
  • Pam ~ that makes total sense! I exercise a lot compared to most people and yet the weight barely moves. Also, I'm rarely hungry, unfortunately, this body has plenty stored for winter... Keep doing what you're doing if it's working. Sometimes I get so angry at myself about how much weight I've put on over the years. I lost weight after Baby #1 but after my two girls came along it seemed like fighting an uphill battle. Now, my baby is starting Kindergarten next month and I'm still holding unto all of this weight. Actually, it's good motivation and I'll finally have some free time to devote to myself. Onto the next phase...

BTW, is it ok to still call it "baby" weight even though you have no babies anymore? Not! LOL.
  • Hi, Ladies! Yesterday AM, I took my chick and rooster to the airport, and I am now alone for one month. I have wedding planny things to do, and now I can do my healthy stuff without 'bothering' anybody. You know, "why are you in here on the bike while I'm trying to watch TV?", "Why aren't you eating all your nice (deep-fried) fish I made?", "You want to go for a walk NOW??"
    There are strange men in my driveway. They are re-tarring my asphalt driveway. Never in my life had I heard of asphalt driveways when I lived in Alberta, but here they are rampant. They are a source of masculine pride among the people. How big is your asphalt drive? Does it take up more room than your house? Your grass? Your neighbor's horse paddock? The Wal-Mart parking lot?
    My cats are mad at me because they wanted to go outside, but I don't want tarry footprints in my house, so now they pretend they didn't want to go out, but they're glaring at me. One is swearing, and the other is uttering threats.
    Lucky me, I only have to wait 2 days before they can go outside. All my gardening tools are in the backyard garage which I can't get to, and the weather? Bee-you-ti-ful!
  • Good afternoon everyone.

Joan and Pam I read an article on a diet website that talked about obese women are hungrier when excercising then thin women. I will have to look it up and post the article. But it made sense. Joan I went with a bunch of friends to see Mamma Mia. It was so good. I loved it and I don't like movies like that.

Kerry I am far from ready for the trip. I will start today when I get off of work. The weather was horrible today. We were pretty far off from the hurricane itself but we are getting hit by the outer bands. So it has been raining since yesterday.

Valerie I need to check out your blog and maybe I can get some pointers on a meal plan. I think I eat to many calories. I need to be at 1200. I go over everyday. I am okay while at work it is when I get home.

MC I feel your frustration. I hope it gets better for you. I am trying not to think of it as a diet so much but think of it as a lifestyle change.

Hello to everyone else. Have a great day.

Fergi
  • Hello. I am new (again) to 3FC and wanted to know if I could jump in here. It's my first "30's" board--I turned 30 in January. I am joining again just to help me keep my weight loss goals in mind. I think I have been in denial about how big I have gotten but I recently tried on clothes at the mall and it was shocking. I am a SAHM to 4 year old twins and a 1 year old. I was refocused on my weight loss after a miscarriage in June. I am trying to bounce back. I have tried Weight Watchers and many books but right now I am not following any plan too closely. I am planning my meals, including fruits/veggies, having some Shaklee Cinch shakes for breakfast every now and then and trying to get myself off the pop. I really want to get to a mainly whole food lifestyle but we'll see how that goes. Sorry I am rambling and all over the place w/my 1st post. I look forward to getting to know everyone! Rikki
  • Welcome Rikki!!!

Kerry - Of course you can print my poems!! I'd be honored that you like them that much!! Thanks!!

Erin - Forgot to mention, I also log my food everyday, stick with portion control and serving sizes as someone mentioned, and I just found this really cool website called sparkpeople.com that I've been going to. Lots of info. Oh and of course, I drink 4-32 oz. bottles of water daily. OH!! I have a poem for that!!... Wait...

GOTTA GO!

I gotta pee from all the drinking
    So it really got me thinking
    This could be so very tough
    If I don’t run fast enough.

All night and day I gotta go,
    Fro and to and to and fro.
    I have to drink my water quota
    I won’t lose weight with diet soda!

In and Out of the potty I go
    How can I stop this endless flow?
    This is such a crazy caper,
    I think I’ll buy stock in toilet paper.

Who can help me?
    Can you hear my plea!
    Maybe I’ll call….
    OH Never mind! I gotta pee!!!!

Pam, I love love love my off day. I know I can eat pretty much whatever I want as long as I am sensible. The funny thing is that I find that I really don't want to go nuts and in the back of my mind I know this is a lifestyle change, not a temporary diet so I think that sticks with me thru those days. I find the part about exercising less & losing more very interesting. I was wondering... do you think that maybe you may also lose slower because when you exercise you build muscle which would make the scale move slower but would still make you thinner in measurements since muscle takes up less space than fat?

I know that when I just do cardio, I lose faster. As soon as I incorporate any type of strength training, the scale moves slower but my measurements go down. Just a thought. Hey! Did you make it to the library? Did you get Diary of a Worm?

Fergi - I would be totally into reading the article about exercise/hunger. My meal plan can be adapted to 1200 calories. All you have to do it put a limit on your morning breakfast calories and have very sensible dinners. You shouldn't have to change much else. The granola cereal I eat for breakfast is 230 calories for 1/2 cup + 1/2 cup skim milk which is around 45 calories. So just that is 275. You could cut that back. I think 1 packet of instant oatmeal is like 100 calories so if you just had that mixed with only water and a sweet & low you would be fine. Pair that up with my new fave, Dannon 0+ yogurt and some fruit and you have a breakfast well under 250 calories. It just takes some tweaking. I alwas recommend a high fiber breakfast to fill you up and get you moving. Eating Special K or something like that just makes me hungry in an hour. Oatmeal or granola cereal sticks to the ribs!!! LOL

Erin - Forgot to answer your question... To add tabs... just click on 'write' when you are at the top of your blog, and then choose the 'page' tab instead of the 'post' tab. This will create a new page that you can title whatever you want. Hope that helps.

Joan - So glad you had a blast at Mamma Mia... sorry you got stuck behind a bunch of fuddy duddies but so what?! That's their problem!! I want to see Mamma Mia on stage before I see the movie. Glad you had fun!!!

Sorry if I missed anyone... Hope you are all enjoying your day!!!