Old 03-10-2008, 12:10 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 188/188/120

Height: 5'3

Default what do you feed your kids

hello I am wondering what everyone feeds there children. do your kids eat the same thing as you or does it just depend on what it is? my girls are sooo picky and most of this i am sure i have done. now that i am watching what i am eating it is like WW 2 at the dinner table. now there are some things i don't even bother trying too feed them just cause it is not worth the battle...... any ideas would be great
adah
milleradah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 06:02 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 290/170/170

My daughter (9) generally eats what I'm doing for me and my husband. She's not fussy though and there's very few things she won't eat. Only thing that she does not really like is beef unless its very tender and I let her off eating this.

Kitty
KforKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 06:17 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 236/221/136

Height: 5'7

My kids eat everything mainly cause I am strict and don't allow any of this "i don't like it stuff" But basically I only make one meal if they want to eat they have to eat what I prepare. You can also motivate her with dessert. I'm not sure what kind of a kid she is but mine woudl do anything for a prune or a banana.
2beautiful2Bfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 09:34 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 205/168/150

Height: 5'4"

My son eats what i fix. My dinner is my big meal of the day so its very balanced I usually give him alittle more than I eat myself (my son is 14) But my son is a very adventurous eater (we both are) and likes trying new things and new foods. He gets alittle tired of fish and chicken but I throw some buffalo in there every once in a while and venison too so we do eat alittle red meat at times.
Goldm00n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 10:24 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 237/237/175

Height: 5'8"

We all eat the same meal and if they don't like it, too bad. There are things that we have that I know that they won't like but they have to try one bite. The other night we had cabbage and I put one small bite size serving on each one of my kids plates. They complained (1 liked it and 2 hated it) but they all ate it. Years ago when my oldest was 3 or 4, I used to fix extra dishes but that stopped by the time #3 came along. She is now 5 and because this is how she's been raised, she is by far the least pickiest.
IrishJoan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 10:32 AM   #6  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

I feed my daughter the same foods I eat, with extra servings of starchy foods and oils added in for her (she's still growing and I am shrinking!).

What this often looks like is all non-starchy vegetable soup (tomatoes, cabbage, peppers, celery, onions, garlic, kale, herbs and spices) with a little oil added for her and a side of quinoa for her to mix in.

It's great to read that so many feed their children healthier foods rather then just letting them eat cr@p.
SoulBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 11:03 AM   #7  
LBH

S/C/G: 279.8/276.9/170

Height: 5'10"

Well, call me the bad mom. My boys are 3 & 5 and very picky.

#1 is more adventurous and will usually take at least a bit of whatever it is, in which case I don't force him to eat it if he genuinely doesn't like it. Yesterday at my mom's, we had keilbasa, cabbage and new potatoes. I gave him one small chunk, about 2" or so long. I sliced it into 4 pieces for him and told him it tasted like a hotdog, which he likes. He ate all of it with ketchup, and liked it. I did not make him eat any cabbage, and wasn't going to bother with potatoe, because he always says he doesn't like them. My mom took a small potato, put it on his plate and said, "Now, I'm going to cut this potato in 1/2, then cut it in 1/2 again, and I don't want you to touch it!" Of course that was an open invitation to eat it. He loves when you play games like that and ended up eating 2 bites of it. I didn't force him to eat the rest.

#2 is super picky. I knew Mr. Picky would not eat last night's dinner, so he had chicken nuggets...9 of them to be exact! And a little container of natural applesauce. Mom tried the same trick with him and he just looked at it in disgust and said, "Nope, I won't eat that!" He really doesn't eat anything new. Chicken nuggets, meatballs, pancakes, waffles, frenchtoast sticks (not homemade french toast), taylor ham, sometimes sausage, pizza, rotini pasta w/butter & cheese at daycare (won't eat the same thing at home!) That's about it.

Somedays I put my foot down and tell them, fine, you don't have to eat it, but I'm not making you anything different. They go to bed hungry often.
LBH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 11:53 AM   #8  

2beautiful ~ I do the same thing with dessert. Tempt them to eat healthy food and then they can have dessert. Works like a charm for my girls but DS isn't a big sweet eater. He'd take a piece of fruit any day to a dessert. I'm glad that you mentioned prunes. I never think to fix them for the kids but I LOVE them. Figs are great also. I stewed some this past winter for a recipe but made the mistake of everyone trying them first ~ my 5 year old couldn't get enough of them. My oldest and youngest are great about eating fruits and veggies but my middle daughter would never willingly eat them. I don't buy fruit juice but I picked up some a week or so ago to see if she'd drink that. Nope. Milk is her drink of choice ~ which is great, but I need to find a way to get more fresh fruit and vegetables in her.
Old 03-10-2008, 11:57 AM   #9  

Lauren ~ LOL at the chicken nuggets. Liam used live on them! I stopped buying them and he complained for a few days. There's nothing nutritious about them and I figured that if he was hungry he'd eat what we were eating. I got them McDonalds a while back and he wouldn't eat the chicken, said that it tasted lousy. Victory!! I told him that he used to love them and he says, that was before I tasted steak. Too funny since he's only had steak a handful of times.
Old 03-10-2008, 07:48 PM   #10  
LBH

S/C/G: 279.8/276.9/170

Height: 5'10"

LOL! I will fall over the day my kids say they don't like chicken nuggets and would rather have steak! When Robby gets a little older and I can reason with him a little better, I will start demanding he eat everything I give him.

DH keeps telling the boys that mommy is the pickiest eater, so you know it's good if mommy eats it! He's right though...
LBH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 08:22 PM   #11  
Finding My Bliss

http://thestar.com.my/health/story.a...540&sec=health

Here's a good article that references several studies about children, parents and their eating habits.
Old 03-10-2008, 08:34 PM   #12  
Finding My Bliss

http://www.kidshealthworks.com/topic.asp?topic_id=148

This article addresses picky eaters. It's really good and based on sound developmental principles.
Old 03-10-2008, 09:27 PM   #13  

thanks everyone
sometimes i do make them eat what i am having. now others i will make them something different.
lauren i think are kids would get along great....mine think chicken nuggets and ketchup are a food group i think.

my oldest is getting better now but she is 9 and far as the other 2 they would die first i think before trying something new.
Old 03-10-2008, 10:02 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 236/221/136

Height: 5'7

Joan when I tempt them with desert the desetrt is usually fruit but maybe you could try letting your son choose an exotic fruit? I did that with my daughter. I let herpick any fruit she wanted at the grocery store. she chose a canary melon. None of us had had it before and it was quite yummy.

Miller what happens if you force them to eat it? Or don't make nuggets? I don'tthink my kids have ever even had nuggets!! Other than the veggie/ soy ones!
2beautiful2Bfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 11:21 PM   #15  

2beautiful2Bfat well it really depends i guess sometimes it is like ww 2 going on and other times they just eat it.....or they go hungry. they are not afraid to wait till morning too eat at all. i don't always make nuggets for them if they do not like what we are having for super. and again if i did not make them anything else they would be fine with waiting till morning i just don't like seeing them do that. now they love fruit and would be just fine with eating this all day long as long as i don't include any meat or veggies.